Early Heisman Favorites - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Suspended

Re: Early Heisman Favorites

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    If Jalen is playing as his backup then Tua will come out early in blowouts to keep Jalen happy. That will hurt Tua's stats. Same if Jones is the backup as Saban will want to get him live game reps.
    Seeing how last year played out, it would be imperative to get Jones as many game reps as possible, should he be thrust into a tight game.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by tusks_n_raider View Post
    AJ was a Heisman Runner-up just 5 years ago.

Tua could potentially and most likely be even better than AJ and will definitely have a better WR corp from top to bottom.

Jmo but if he starts all 12 games + the SECCG he's going to run away with the Award.

If you could guarantee me no injury issues I'd bet money on it right now.
    I would love to have that guarantee, regardless of the Heisman race.

BamaNation All-American

If I wasn't convinced Najee is going to break out I would think Damien Harris would be a better Heisman candidate than Tua tbh.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Henry was totally wasted that year. It was Yeldon, and he fumbled more than any other Saban RB. No idea what Saban was thinking there with Henry on the roster. But Cooper was the offense. Take away Cooper and your offense stopped because Yeldon could be shut down.

ETA - just looked up Cooper's stats that year - 124 catches for 1,727 yards and 16 receiving touchdowns. Let that sink in.
    IIRC, it wasn't Henry's talent that kept him off the field, but his ability to pick up on blocking assignments. He played in a system in HS where he was given the ball almost every play and never learned to do what he had to learn at Bama.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    IIRC, it wasn't Henry's talent that kept him off the field, but his ability to pick up on blocking assignments. He played in a system in HS where he was given the ball almost every play and never learned to do what he had to learn at Bama.
    Yet we were all clamoring for more of him after what he had done in the Sugar Bowl against Oklahoma the year before.

BamaNation First Team

Henry was totally wasted that year. It was Yeldon, and he fumbled more than any other Saban RB. No idea what Saban was thinking there with Henry on the roster. But Cooper was the offense. Take away Cooper and your offense stopped because Yeldon could be shut down.

ETA - just looked up Cooper's stats that year - 124 catches for 1,727 yards and 16 receiving touchdowns. Let that sink in.
    I have not understood your criticism of Yeldon. I went back to look at his career highlights and come away a bit incredulous as to how anyone would say that he wasn't a great option for receiving out of the backfield and as a breakaway rushing threat. As a pure coincidence I saw Eli Gold's series of his Top 5 Alabama calls and number 4 was Yeldon's screen play to beat LSU. A good fried of mine said Yeldon was always one step from breaking it. I agree with that! My perspective was that Yeldon showed up for every game whether injured or not and was an absolute warrior.

That isn't to say that DH wasn't phenomenal but the pair come with different capabilities.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UAH View Post
    I have not understood your criticism of Yeldon. I went back to look at his career highlights and come away a bit incredulous as to how anyone would say that he wasn't a great option for receiving out of the backfield and as a breakaway rushing threat. As a pure coincidence I saw Eli Gold's series of his Top 5 Alabama calls and number 4 was Yeldon's screen play to beat LSU. A good fried of mine said Yeldon was always one step from breaking it. I agree with that! My perspective was that Yeldon showed up for every game whether injured or not and was an absolute warrior.

That isn't to say that DH wasn't phenomenal but the pair come with different capabilities.
    To be clear, I have never said that he was a bad RB - just the worst starting RB in the Saban era, and I am including 2007. Henry on the bench with Yeldon as the starter was a horrifyingly bad decision by Saban in 2014 and cost you a championship (while allowing my Buckeyes to win one).

You realize that Henry was the best RB in the history of HS football, right? And, as it turns out, he was also the best RB in the history of college football - but he only got to start one season. That is insane.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was Henry supposed to learn how to pass block and etc? Never learned how to do it at HS level?
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but was Henry supposed to learn how to pass block and etc? Never learned how to do it at HS level?
    He still can't pass block. The Titans don't seem to care.

Also, Alexander was a league MVP and he never even tried to block a pass rusher.