Early Heisman Favorites

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Stanford running back Bryce Love is the early Heisman Trophy favorite in Las Vegas.
Love, a senior who passed on the NFL draft to return to Stanford, opened at 5-1 at the Westgate SuperBook to win this season's Heisman Trophy. He rushed for 2,218 yards with 19 touchdowns and finished runner-up to Baker Mayfield in last season's Heisman race.
Wisconsin running back Jonathan Taylor is next at 7-1, followed by Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoaat 10-1. Georgia quarterback Jake Fromm, Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert and Arizona quarterback Khalil Tate are 14-1.

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/i...ng-back-early-heisman-trophy-betting-favorite

Not terribly surprising, to be honest. Tua may be the first Alabama QB to win it.

I know....rat poison.

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
Way too early to talk about the arm gesture! As such, I hate the heisman. Football is a team sport last time I checked...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If Alabama is 13-0 headed into the CFP, Tua will win it. That is what it will take, though.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's no secret I'm on the Tua fan club train, but if Tua puts up similiar numbers to what he did in the second half of the Georgia game he'll definitely be in the race.

I know logic might suggests we won't be that aggressive starting 0-0, but the second half when he played against Georgia wasn't an all out passing barriage. We didn't abandon the running game and Tua missed on some throws that, with first team reps and just a little improvement, he wouldn't probably miss as a starter.

Against better teams, I doubt he'll have huge numbers, but I can see him having a few games where he throws for 500+ yards. It'll add up in a hurry and with our offensive weapons all over the field, I believe he has a monster year.

I also don't fear his TD/INT ratio won't be good, as many do. The guy just sees the field too well and has pinpoint accuracy.

And, if the Heisman doesn't happen this year, look out for 2019.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It's no secret I'm on the Tua fan club train, but if Tua puts up similiar numbers to what he did in the second half of the Georgia game he'll definitely be in the race.

I know logic might suggests we won't be that aggressive starting 0-0, but the second half when he played against Georgia wasn't an all out passing barriage. We didn't abandon the running game and Tua missed on some throws that, with first team reps and just a little improvement, he wouldn't probably miss as a starter.

Against better teams, I doubt he'll have huge numbers, but I can see him having a few games where he throws for 500+ yards. It'll add up in a hurry and with our offensive weapons all over the field, I believe he has a monster year.

I also don't fear his TD/INT ratio won't be good, as many do. The guy just sees the field too well and has pinpoint accuracy.

And, if the Heisman doesn't happen this year, look out for 2019.
If Jalen is playing as his backup then Tua will come out early in blowouts to keep Jalen happy. That will hurt Tua's stats. Same if Jones is the backup as Saban will want to get him live game reps.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If Jalen is playing as his backup then Tua will come out early in blowouts to keep Jalen happy. That will hurt Tua's stats. Same if Jones is the backup as Saban will want to get him live game reps.
CNS is historically slow to pull the starter. I think Tau got more reps last year just because CNS knew he might be needed.

But either way, after we get a big lead, CNS typically tells the OC to turn it into 3 yards and a cloud of dust to burn the clock and not run it up.

If it's Jalen filling that role, it'll work beautifully. If it's Jones I could see the offense looking more like it did when Tua came in last year in order to develop Jones into a ready made backup.

But, back to the point, Tua can get the numbers he'll need to be in the Heisman race in 2.5 to 3 quarters of action a game IMO. Especially if we run the regular season table and end up going into the playoffs 13-0.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
CNS is historically slow to pull the starter. I think Tau got more reps last year just because CNS knew he might be needed.

But either way, after we get a big lead, CNS typically tells the OC to turn it into 3 yards and a cloud of dust to burn the clock and not run it up.

If it's Jalen filling that role, it'll work beautifully. If it's Jones I could see the offense looking more like it did when Tua came in last year in order to develop Jones into a ready made backup.

But, back to the point, Tua can get the numbers he'll need to be in the Heisman race in 2.5 to 3 quarters of action a game IMO. Especially if we run the regular season table and end up going into the playoffs 13-0.
I agree that Tua can still win it, but he isn't going to have a 400 yard game, much less a 500 yard game.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I agree that Tua can still win it, but he isn't going to have a 400 yard game, much less a 500 yard game.
I have a hard time believing we will be in nearly enough close game this season for Tua to win it. We shouldn't be seriously pushed to our limits until Auburn.

Maybe if our secondary is a lot shakier than we are expecting and we have to score more than the last few years?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Tua isn't probably going to win, but if he can consistently throw 200-300 yards each game, then maybe.. but For SEC QB to win Heisman, their team have to go undefeated and dominate opponents to get consideration.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If I was a betting man I might take you up on that. In 12 regular season games I'm pretty confident he'll have a 400 yard game. 500 wouldn't surprise me (Blake Sims had 445 in a game against Florida). I realize it's uncommon, especially for Bama QBs, but I don't think we've had a QB like Tua...not even AJ.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If I was a betting man I might take you up on that. In 12 regular season games I'm pretty confident he'll have a 400 yard game. 500 wouldn't surprise me (Blake Sims had 445 in a game against Florida). I realize it's uncommon, especially for Bama QBs, but I don't think we've had a QB like Tua...not even AJ.
With those RBs, I just don't see it. Saban isn't going to ignore the best offensive backfield in the country.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
With those RBs, I just don't see it. Saban isn't going to ignore the best offensive backfield in the country.
I don't think so either. Over the last 4-5 seasons with Jalen, Coker, Sims and even AJ, we've never averaged over 500 yards a game in total offense, but we consistently averaged 430-450 a game with the highest year being 475ish IIRC. Remember these are just averages. Most of those years our offense was pretty well divided with roughly half the yards in rushing and half in passing. So if you look at most games our QB will have 200-300 a game in passing.

I think our offense might just average 500 yards a game this year, so most games I could see us having 250-300 yards in passing and about the same give or take a few yards in rushing.

So all it would take in a typical game for Tua to go over 400 or even 500 is a couple of long receptions along with the other typical chunk plays we'll be getting with him slinging it all over the place. If the last play of the year is any hint, I think he may have a few more of those up his sleeve.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't think so either. Over the last 4-5 seasons with Jalen, Coker, Sims and even AJ, we've never averaged over 500 yards a game in total offense, but we consistently averaged 430-450 a game with the highest year being 475ish IIRC. Remember these are just averages. Most of those years our offense was pretty well divided with roughly half the yards in rushing and half in passing. So if you look at most games our QB will have 200-300 a game in passing.

I think our offense might just average 500 yards a game this year, so most games I could see us having 250-300 yards in passing and about the same give or take a few yards in rushing.

So all it would take in a typical game for Tua to go over 400 or even 500 is a couple of long receptions along with the other typical chunk plays we'll be getting with him slinging it all over the place. If the last play of the year is any hint, I think he may have a few more of those up his sleeve.
I get it, but it would take an anomaly. Remember, when Sims was your QB you have your worst starting RB and your worst run blocking o-line under Saban. Your entire offense was Cooper.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I agree with Bigtide, Saban will run a balanced O which will keep Tua from racking up pinball machine type numbers. Because of that alone I don’t think he will win the heisman. In fact, I’d lay odds that Kyler Murray will win it at Oklahoma before Tua does.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.