On Finebaum,a NFL guy said Alabama would have 2 of the top 10 qbs in college football

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Well if you go to the QB Competition thread, you will see there are no reasonable Alabama fans when it comes to Tua. It is a whole different game starting and coming in with the game in hand. As Buzz said, DCs will have film on him now and will scheme accordingly.

Last edited:

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Well if you go to the QB Competition thread, you will see there are no reasonable Alabama fans when it comes to Tua. It is a whole different game starting and coming in with the game in hand. As rgw said, DCs will have film on him now and will scheme accordingly.
Oh yeah. There are reasonable fans regarding any young qb. I will admit, though, that there are a lot of unreasonable fans. We've had 2 years to access Hurts, and we're seeing the same thing right now as we saw with a lot of fans this time last year. Hope springs eternal.

I even read in the newspapers and online that the coaches planned to play Tagovailoa in the playoffs. If UGA didn't plan for Tagovailoa, then they're more stupid than I could possibly have hoped. He played enough during the season that they could have.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Well if you go to the QB Competition thread, you will see there are no reasonable Alabama fans when it comes to Tua. It is a whole different game starting and coming in with the game in hand. As Buzz said, DCs will have film on him now and will scheme accordingly.
I agree 100 percent. SEC Play will be critical. we've seen many QBs that balls out early in season only to struggle toward the end of the season.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
But the point is that it isn't really the case that we that we have only a half of a game to judge him. He played well all year. Most of the time he came into the game the offense immediately started playing better, vs the same defensive players and with the same offensive team mates that were on the field with Hurts the series before.
we have a half of a game against elite competition. regardless we will find out.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
we have a half of a game against elite competition. regardless we will find out.
And we have several games to judge Jalen Hurts vs elite, and even good defenses, and he has consistently struggled. Considering that, I'd be happy enough if Tagovailo is only as good as Jake Coker the latter part of 2015. At least, like Coker, he already has a national title to his credit.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
But the point is that it isn't really the case that we that we have only a half of a game to judge him. He played well all year. Most of the time he came into the game the offense immediately started playing better, vs the same defensive players and with the same offensive team mates that were on the field with Hurts the series before.
I will say that the offense didn't do so well overall with him at the helm against Colorado State. Didn't Coach Saban have to bring Jalen back in to finish that game off? I know it was one of his first games and iirc many starters had come out at the same time as Jalen, so maybe that was part of the reason why. And, of course, we were not trying to throw much and just wanted to kill the clock. But I have been accused of being a Jalen hater. So I will say here that Jalen did have to come back in this one game to put it away after Tua came in.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I will say that the offense didn't do so well overall with him at the helm against Colorado State. Didn't Coach Saban have to bring Jalen back in to finish that game off? I know it was one of his first games and iirc many starters had come out at the same time as Jalen, so maybe that was part of the reason why. And, of course, we were not trying to throw much and just wanted to kill the clock. But I have been accused of being a Jalen hater. So I will say here that Jalen did have to come back in this one game to put it away after Tua came in.
I do not remember that happening at all. Tua did not come into that game until very late.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
To those saying that defenses now have film on Tua, and that this would make a difference in 2018, I encourage you to watch those plays again. You can't scheme a guy like Tua. He can make throws from every part of the field to every part of the field. He throws well from the pocket, he throws well when scrambling left, and he throws well when scrambling right. He is a threat to break down and run the ball if you drop your LBs back in coverage. He throws well underneath, into the flat, into the middle of the field, down the seam and to the corners. I mean, film on Tua has got to be scaring the heck out of opposing coaches.

I am not afraid to be excited about Tua because I remember what you did with AJ at QB. Tua looked better than AJ ever looked, and he was a true freshman. So, maybe he throws a few interceptions - and maybe he even loses a game. But the world looks pretty bright right now with him at QB, and it did not look nearly as bright this time last year.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I do not remember that happening at all. Tua did not come into that game until very late.
I am almost 100% positive Tua came in and Jalen came back in to finish it. Then again I am old and my memory is not so good (wait, what were we talking about?). Not that it matters that much. I am just pointing out that Tua does have a few flaws and, even though I see him as head and shoulders better than Jalen, he is not an absolute lock to win every trophy available over the next 2-3 years. But if I had to bet one way or the other, it would likely be on and not against him.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I agree. There are times I worry that I am setting myself up to be disappointed. We can all see Tua has a tremendous amount of potential. But whether he will actually reach that potential is still uncertain. I hope we are all right.
I think he's a Brett Favre clone in a lot of ways -- he can ride a team on his back. But, he is also a QB that could also throw 4 picks in a game --

Coach Saban has developed a team/program where the QB doesn't have to win the game for you --

It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out....

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I am almost 100% positive Tua came in and Jalen came back in to finish it. Then again I am old and my memory is not so good (wait, what were we talking about?). Not that it matters that much. I am just pointing out that Tua does have a few flaws and, even though I see him as head and shoulders better than Jalen, he is not an absolute lock to win every trophy available over the next 2-3 years. But if I had to bet one way or the other, it would likely be on and not against him.
Jalen came in to run the ball to the center of the field so we could kick the field goal in regulation.....

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
You are correct. It was early in the season and they had 2 or 3 straight 3-and-outs and CSU scored late due to it. Saban was angry at the 2nd team offense after the game and said they have to produce when they get the chance and from there on afterwards they did. Saban called out Tua/2nd team and they responded.

I just found this post game article and Saban explains rather harshly he had to put back in the starters.

http://gridironnow.com/nick-saban-concerns-colorado-state-win-may-just-justified/

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Uhh, no, Tua entered the game with 0:44 to go in the third quarter with the score 41-10. Tua didn't have a great game, but Hurts did not return to finish he game. That was the game the team leaders called a meeting afterwards to blast the team for their lackadaisical play in the 2nd half. Bama was never in danger of losing, but allowing CSU to drive and score 13 points in the 4th quarter was unacceptable.

Tua didn't look amazing in that game but neither did anyone else wearing crimson in the second half.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Uhh, no, Tua entered the game with 0:44 to go in the third quarter with the score 41-10. Tua didn't have a great game, but Hurts did not return to finish he game. That was the game the team leaders called a meeting afterwards to blast the team for their lackadaisical play in the 2nd half. Bama was never in danger of losing, but allowing CSU to drive and score 13 points in the 4th quarter was unacceptable.

Tua didn't look amazing in that game but neither did anyone else wearing crimson in the second half.
Agreed - Saban was mad at the entire team - offense and defense. It had nothing to do with Tua.

shaggy

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 21, 2001
Hoover
You can't scheme a guy like Tua.
Totally agree. Tua has poise and can really see the field. He has a great arm. We all heard him interviewed seconds after the NC win. He read the Georgia defense on that last play exactly like the experts did from the broadcast booth. Tua can also run. Teams have to defend our running game. Probably the best in the country. But now they can't fudge, they will have to defend an elite passing talent and a QB who can read defenses. So it looks like we finally have an elite passing game to go with an elite running game.

You can totally scheme Jalen if you have an elite defense (Georgia, Auburn, etc.). Stop the run and make Jalen beat you with his arm. He will struggle. We've seen it for two years now. Great guy, phenomenal talent, great team player. He has it all, except.... he struggles to read defenses, go through his progressions and do those things in the few seconds he has to make a play. That's where he's weak in my opinion. Doesn't have the whatever it is to see the field, read the defense and know where to go with the ball. Throws it away or tucks and runs as a bail out. Like I said, that will work against most everyone we play but it probably won't win championships.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Some, BIGTide et al., have said the following in different words. There is a big difference in having film on Jalen and on Tua. Jalen has a serious flaw that can be exploited to great effect. Tua has no such flaw. He can do anything a QB can do and also has intangibles that are off the chart. The only 2 things that can derail him are injury of course and a very bad performance by the OL; and he can handle the latter to a large degree by pocket presence and scrambling ability. Not saying he can't be a "off" in a game or can't throw a key int or QB a losing effort, but he's as good an option at QB as I've seen in many decades of watching Alabama football.

As far as him being like Favre: IMO, concern over mistakes and ints are overstated. Not that he is impervious, but it shouldn't be like Favre, who IMO, though great, was often reckless. Tua is not reckless.

To Krazy, as likely one of the original "pleaders for respect to be shown Jalen" after so many of us jumped off of his bandwagon onto Tua's - I appreciate your regard for Jalen and desire for respect to be shown him. IMO, almost all Bama fans do respect and appreciate him, but some have a problem expressing their views of the QB competition without using language that indicates disrespect. Often they try to offset it by stating their respect, IMO genuine, for his good qualities. But the harsh words are not thus erased. It seems that it is good to be extremely careful and gracious in choosing the language used to critique him, then the assertion that we are Jalen fans is not even needed. Of course, some are terrified that CNS is going to make the wrong choice and are a bit miffed that they still have to consider the possibility of Jalen starting :), which of course is not Jalen's fault.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Audio - according to the article I posted above the first team offense returned to the game with 1:46 left in the fourth qtr. Saban is quoted as saying he did not want to and the press could criticize him.........

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.