On Finebaum,a NFL guy said Alabama would have 2 of the top 10 qbs in college football - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Re: On Finebaum,a NFL guy said Alabama would have 2 of the top 10 qbs in college foot

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    i personally can't wait to see what tua is capable of as the head dude, but we have exactly 1 half (and a damned fine half) of meaningful football by which to judge him.
    I think the big unknown regarding Tua is how will he perform once there is enough game film on him for teams to start making adjustments. Because this is exactly what ended up happening to Hurts. Teams struggled to stop him for the first 3/4's of the season in 2016. Then came the LSU game. It was obvious what their defensive game plan was and if it weren't for their anemic offense and a few broken play gems by Hurts. We would have lost that game. But that was the game that set the precedence for other defenses going forward to shut down Hurts' effectiveness in the passing game. He wasn't able to adjust to their adjustments. And if A-Day tells us anything, he still hasn't been able to adjust.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Second Team

Re: On Finebaum,a NFL guy said Alabama would have 2 of the top 10 qbs in college foot

i personally can't wait to see what tua is capable of as the head dude, but we have exactly 1 half (and a damned fine half) of meaningful football by which to judge him.
    Tua proved himself every time he got the chance last season. At the time some folks said "but he came in when the game was already won so there was no pressure". Well, he came in the 2nd half of the national title game, zero points and the offense couldn't move the ball. Suffice it to say there was tremendous pressure. He won the game and the national title for us, unlike the previous year when the offense went 3 and out so many times that the defense had to play 99 snaps against a good offense, and so we were beaten.

Tua played well every chance he got during the season, and then he proved himself under tremendous pressure in the title game.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson White View Post
    Tua proved himself every time he got the chance last season. At the time some folks said "but he came in when the game was already won so there was no pressure". Well, he came in the 2nd half of the national title game, zero points and the offense couldn't move the ball. Suffice it to say there was tremendous pressure. He won the game and the national title for us, unlike the previous year when the offense went 3 and out so many times that the defense had to play 99 snaps against a good offense, and so we were beaten.

Tua played well every chance he got during the season, and then he proved himself under tremendous pressure in the title game.
    yes he did. now we get to see if he can prove himself for a full season.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Second Team

yes he did. now we get to see if he can prove himself for a full season.
    But the point is that it isn't really the case that we that we have only a half of a game to judge him. He played well all year. Most of the time he came into the game the offense immediately started playing better, vs the same defensive players and with the same offensive team mates that were on the field with Hurts the series before.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I hope Tua lives up to the expectations of everyone on here; if he doesn't there could be a site blowup of epic proportions.
    That's been my concern since National Championship... That everyone would have high expectation of Tua and what would happen if he didn't live up to the fan's expectation. I'm pretty sure there will be epic meltdown everywhere. That's why I've remained level-head about this and I refuse to proclaim Tua as our starter until I actually see both of them in the 1st game.

Tua made plays in NC, but he also made bad plays as well and he happened to get lucky with some of it. Need to work on that.
    Jalen needs to learn to take risks with his throws and learn to trust his eyes and throw the ball instead of running. If Both can improve that, then we can be very effective team with either of them as our Qb.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation Second Team

I'm pretty sure that reasonable Alabama fans don't expect Tua to be perfect. Anybody that has watched football for long knows that every player has a bad game occasionally. That aside, he's still young, and though he played enough last season to prove he's better than the other guy, he still will have a lot to learn. I think he can learn most of it, though, in 2 years. He's already better than Hurts passing the ball, reading defenses, and pocket presence.

As for unreasonable fans with unreasonable expectations, well, that's their problem, not Tagovailoa's.

BamaNation First Team TomFromBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Proof that QBR is totally bogus?
    No, just means it's a stat, and like ANY other stat, it "Conceals as much as it Reveals".

Jalen Hurts is a GREAT QB . . . . so long as he's facing an average to below-average defense - which means he's going to be great in 8-10 games a year, and in those 8-10 games he will generate stats that will totally obscure the reality of what happens when he has to face an above-average defense in the other 3-4 games.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses..."
    Dennis of Mercia, British Statesman/Philosopher,
    (895 A.D. - ?).

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Well if you go to the QB Competition thread, you will see there are no reasonable Alabama fans when it comes to Tua. It is a whole different game starting and coming in with the game in hand. As Buzz said, DCs will have film on him now and will scheme accordingly.
    Last edited by GrayTide; June 12th, 2018 at 09:36 AM.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Second Team

Well if you go to the QB Competition thread, you will see there are no reasonable Alabama fans when it comes to Tua. It is a whole different game starting and coming in with the game in hand. As rgw said, DCs will have film on him now and will scheme accordingly.
    Oh yeah. There are reasonable fans regarding any young qb. I will admit, though, that there are a lot of unreasonable fans. We've had 2 years to access Hurts, and we're seeing the same thing right now as we saw with a lot of fans this time last year. Hope springs eternal.

I even read in the newspapers and online that the coaches planned to play Tagovailoa in the playoffs. If UGA didn't plan for Tagovailoa, then they're more stupid than I could possibly have hoped. He played enough during the season that they could have.
    Last edited by Crimson White; June 12th, 2018 at 09:37 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Well if you go to the QB Competition thread, you will see there are no reasonable Alabama fans when it comes to Tua. It is a whole different game starting and coming in with the game in hand. As Buzz said, DCs will have film on him now and will scheme accordingly.
    I agree 100 percent. SEC Play will be critical. we've seen many QBs that balls out early in season only to struggle toward the end of the season.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    . we've seen many QBs that balls out early in season only to struggle toward the end of the season.
    Amen to that

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson White View Post
    But the point is that it isn't really the case that we that we have only a half of a game to judge him. He played well all year. Most of the time he came into the game the offense immediately started playing better, vs the same defensive players and with the same offensive team mates that were on the field with Hurts the series before.
    we have a half of a game against elite competition. regardless we will find out.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Second Team

we have a half of a game against elite competition. regardless we will find out.
    And we have several games to judge Jalen Hurts vs elite, and even good defenses, and he has consistently struggled. Considering that, I'd be happy enough if Tagovailo is only as good as Jake Coker the latter part of 2015. At least, like Coker, he already has a national title to his credit.