On Finebaum,a NFL guy said Alabama would have 2 of the top 10 qbs in college football

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Of the top 10 rated quarterbacks in total QBR last year, only four are returning.
Khalil Tate
McKenzie Milton
Jake Fromm
Jalen Hurts

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Of the top 10 rated quarterbacks in total QBR last year, only four are returning.
Khalil Tate
McKenzie Milton
Jake Fromm
Jalen Hurts

Well, I was just making a silly joke, and it was actually a cut and paste from another site, but if we're going to be serious, some folks rated Tagovailoa higher than all but one of those guys...https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tua-tagovailoa-1.html

YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate

Tua *2017AlabamaSECFRQB8497763.66368.39.9112175.0

Hurts *2017AlabamaSECSOQB1415425560.420818.29.3171150.2

Fromm *2017GeorgiaSECFRQB1518129162.226159.09.6247160.1

Tate 2017ArizonaPac-12SOQB1111117962.015918.98.2149152.4

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Someone compliments an Alabama player and the first response is to mock him, the Alabama player, and anyone or anything that indicates said player might actually be anything more than you think he is.

I'm not saying Hurts is a top ten QB, but there are people who are paid to do this for a living that think so. There's also empirical evidence that indicates he still is a pretty good college quarterback. I agree that Tua has surpassed him. Furthermore I agree that the style of offense that Hurts is most capable of running (at this point at least) isn't the best fit for Alabama. But never in all my time here have I seen such a concerted effort to make a current Alabama player out to be something less than many outside observers think he is.

Usually when someone compliments an Alabama player we celebrate that. Not with Hurts though, no, how dare someone that's paid to do this sort of thing for a living think Hurts is any good.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Someone compliments an Alabama player and the first response is to mock him, the Alabama player, and anyone or anything that indicates said player might actually be anything more than you think he is.

I'm not saying Hurts is a top ten QB, but there are people who are paid to do this for a living that think so. There's also empirical evidence that indicates he still is a pretty good college quarterback. I agree that Tua has surpassed him, but never in all my time here have I seen such a concerted effort to make a current Alabama player out to be something less than many outside observers think he is.

Usually when someone compliments an Alabama player we celebrate that. Not with Hurts though, no, how dare someone that's paid to do this sort of thing for a living think Hurts is any good.
I think that folks here love Hurts. I know that I do. He is one of the best team players that I have seen - reminds me of Ingram in that respect. Really happy to see those around him do well. I also think that everyone here has nothing but well wishes for Jalen, whether he stays at Alabama or leaves. But that does not translate into everyone seeing him as an elite passer. Solid QB? Absolutely. But that is because being a QB means so much more than passing. But he is not an elite passer.

Alabama has a QB on the roster who can do everything that Jalen can do while also being an elite passer. Alabama fans got a taste of exactly what that meant in the GA game. Even those who were unsure if it was the play calling or something that was holding Jalen back saw the truth revealed in that game. Jalen has a ceiling, and Tua blew through that ceiling like it wasn't there.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Jalen has a ceiling, and Tua blew through that ceiling like it wasn't there.
I don't really disagree with that. I'm not saying he's an elite passer, I doubt the guy on Finebaum said that either. I just think its sad that at this point Hurts can't even be complimented without us rushing to set the record straight.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

I'm not saying Hurts is a top ten QB, but there are people who are paid to do this for a living that think so. There's also empirical evidence that indicates he still is a pretty good college quarterback. I agree that Tua has surpassed him. Furthermore I agree that the style of offense that Hurts is most capable of running (at this point at least) isn't the best fit for Alabama. But never in all my time here have I seen such a concerted effort to make a current Alabama player out to be something less than many outside observers think he is.

One the first highlighted point, you should add "or any team in the NFL."

As for the second, ya know, I think you really must be related to the kid. You say out of one side of your mouth that you know Tua has passed him, but I don't think you really believe that at all. You take every criticism of his play at QB as a big personal insult to both you and him. Look, almost all of us here, including me, wish Jalen were every bit the QB that Tua was and more. We wish he were a combination of Tom Brady, Dan Marino, Aaron Rodgers, Joe Montana, (add any great QB's you wish), but the fact is he simply isn't. He is a wonderful kid who either should have played a different position or been trained differently from the start in order to capitalize on his immense talent. Because, as it stands now, the idea of him ever playing in the NFL as a QB is laughable.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I hope Tua lives up to the expectations of everyone on here; if he doesn't there could be a site blowup of epic proportions.
I agree. There are times I worry that I am setting myself up to be disappointed. We can all see Tua has a tremendous amount of potential. But whether he will actually reach that potential is still uncertain. I hope we are all right.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think that folks here love Hurts. I know that I do. He is one of the best team players that I have seen - reminds me of Ingram in that respect. Really happy to see those around him do well. I also think that everyone here has nothing but well wishes for Jalen, whether he stays at Alabama or leaves. But that does not translate into everyone seeing him as an elite passer. Solid QB? Absolutely. But that is because being a QB means so much more than passing. But he is not an elite passer.

Alabama has a QB on the roster who can do everything that Jalen can do while also being an elite passer. Alabama fans got a taste of exactly what that meant in the GA game. Even those who were unsure if it was the play calling or something that was holding Jalen back saw the truth revealed in that game. Jalen has a ceiling, and Tua blew through that ceiling like it wasn't there.
i personally can't wait to see what tua is capable of as the head dude, but we have exactly 1 half (and a damned fine half) of meaningful football by which to judge him.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
i personally can't wait to see what tua is capable of as the head dude, but we have exactly 1 half (and a damned fine half) of meaningful football by which to judge him.
I think the big unknown regarding Tua is how will he perform once there is enough game film on him for teams to start making adjustments. Because this is exactly what ended up happening to Hurts. Teams struggled to stop him for the first 3/4's of the season in 2016. Then came the LSU game. It was obvious what their defensive game plan was and if it weren't for their anemic offense and a few broken play gems by Hurts. We would have lost that game. But that was the game that set the precedence for other defenses going forward to shut down Hurts' effectiveness in the passing game. He wasn't able to adjust to their adjustments. And if A-Day tells us anything, he still hasn't been able to adjust.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Tua proved himself every time he got the chance last season. At the time some folks said "but he came in when the game was already won so there was no pressure". Well, he came in the 2nd half of the national title game, zero points and the offense couldn't move the ball. Suffice it to say there was tremendous pressure. He won the game and the national title for us, unlike the previous year when the offense went 3 and out so many times that the defense had to play 99 snaps against a good offense, and so we were beaten.

Tua played well every chance he got during the season, and then he proved himself under tremendous pressure in the title game.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Tua proved himself every time he got the chance last season. At the time some folks said "but he came in when the game was already won so there was no pressure". Well, he came in the 2nd half of the national title game, zero points and the offense couldn't move the ball. Suffice it to say there was tremendous pressure. He won the game and the national title for us, unlike the previous year when the offense went 3 and out so many times that the defense had to play 99 snaps against a good offense, and so we were beaten.

Tua played well every chance he got during the season, and then he proved himself under tremendous pressure in the title game.
yes he did. now we get to see if he can prove himself for a full season.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
yes he did. now we get to see if he can prove himself for a full season.
But the point is that it isn't really the case that we that we have only a half of a game to judge him. He played well all year. Most of the time he came into the game the offense immediately started playing better, vs the same defensive players and with the same offensive team mates that were on the field with Hurts the series before.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I hope Tua lives up to the expectations of everyone on here; if he doesn't there could be a site blowup of epic proportions.
That's been my concern since National Championship... That everyone would have high expectation of Tua and what would happen if he didn't live up to the fan's expectation. I'm pretty sure there will be epic meltdown everywhere. That's why I've remained level-head about this and I refuse to proclaim Tua as our starter until I actually see both of them in the 1st game.

Tua made plays in NC, but he also made bad plays as well and he happened to get lucky with some of it. Need to work on that.
Jalen needs to learn to take risks with his throws and learn to trust his eyes and throw the ball instead of running. If Both can improve that, then we can be very effective team with either of them as our Qb.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
I'm pretty sure that reasonable Alabama fans don't expect Tua to be perfect. Anybody that has watched football for long knows that every player has a bad game occasionally. That aside, he's still young, and though he played enough last season to prove he's better than the other guy, he still will have a lot to learn. I think he can learn most of it, though, in 2 years. He's already better than Hurts passing the ball, reading defenses, and pocket presence.

As for unreasonable fans with unreasonable expectations, well, that's their problem, not Tagovailoa's.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Proof that QBR is totally bogus?
No, just means it's a stat, and like ANY other stat, it "Conceals as much as it Reveals".

Jalen Hurts is a GREAT QB . . . . so long as he's facing an average to below-average defense - which means he's going to be great in 8-10 games a year, and in those 8-10 games he will generate stats that will totally obscure the reality of what happens when he has to face an above-average defense in the other 3-4 games.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.