On Finebaum,a NFL guy said Alabama would have 2 of the top 10 qbs in college football
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team

On Finebaum,a NFL guy said Alabama would have 2 of the top 10 qbs in college football

That's a lot of pressure to put on Mac Jones
    Last edited by Crimson White; June 11th, 2018 at 06:51 PM.

2. Advertisement

Re: On Finebaum,a NFL guy said Alabama would have 2 of the top 10 qbs in college foot

Of the top 10 rated quarterbacks in total QBR last year, only four are returning.
    Khalil Tate
    McKenzie Milton
    Jake Fromm
    Jalen Hurts
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation Second Team

Re: On Finebaum,a NFL guy said Alabama would have 2 of the top 10 qbs in college foot

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    Of the top 10 rated quarterbacks in total QBR last year, only four are returning.
    Khalil Tate
    McKenzie Milton
    Jake Fromm
    Jalen Hurts

Well, I was just making a silly joke, and it was actually a cut and paste from another site, but if we're going to be serious, some folks rated Tagovailoa higher than all but one of those guys...https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...ovailoa-1.html

Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
    Tua *2017 Alabama SEC FR QB 8 49 77 63.6 636 8.3 9.9 11 2 175.0

Hurts *2017 Alabama SEC SO QB 14 154 255 60.4 2081 8.2 9.3 17 1 150.2

Fromm *2017 Georgia SEC FR QB 15 181 291 62.2 2615 9.0 9.6 24 7 160.1

Tate 2017 Arizona Pac-12 SO QB 11 111 179 62.0 1591 8.9 8.2 14 9 152.4
    Last edited by Crimson White; June 11th, 2018 at 07:14 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Khalil Tate
    McKenzie Milton
    Jake Fromm
    Jalen Hurts
    Proof that QBR is totally bogus?

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Proof that QBR is totally bogus?
    Actually I was wrong, I missed one. Trace McSorley, he's still in college as well. The rest are with NFL teams now.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

No wonder the NFL has so many that go bust.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

Someone compliments an Alabama player and the first response is to mock him, the Alabama player, and anyone or anything that indicates said player might actually be anything more than you think he is.

I'm not saying Hurts is a top ten QB, but there are people who are paid to do this for a living that think so. There's also empirical evidence that indicates he still is a pretty good college quarterback. I agree that Tua has surpassed him. Furthermore I agree that the style of offense that Hurts is most capable of running (at this point at least) isn't the best fit for Alabama. But never in all my time here have I seen such a concerted effort to make a current Alabama player out to be something less than many outside observers think he is.

Usually when someone compliments an Alabama player we celebrate that. Not with Hurts though, no, how dare someone that's paid to do this sort of thing for a living think Hurts is any good.
    Last edited by KrAzY3; June 12th, 2018 at 06:41 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Someone compliments an Alabama player and the first response is to mock him, the Alabama player, and anyone or anything that indicates said player might actually be anything more than you think he is.

I'm not saying Hurts is a top ten QB, but there are people who are paid to do this for a living that think so. There's also empirical evidence that indicates he still is a pretty good college quarterback. I agree that Tua has surpassed him, but never in all my time here have I seen such a concerted effort to make a current Alabama player out to be something less than many outside observers think he is.

Usually when someone compliments an Alabama player we celebrate that. Not with Hurts though, no, how dare someone that's paid to do this sort of thing for a living think Hurts is any good.
    I think that folks here love Hurts. I know that I do. He is one of the best team players that I have seen - reminds me of Ingram in that respect. Really happy to see those around him do well. I also think that everyone here has nothing but well wishes for Jalen, whether he stays at Alabama or leaves. But that does not translate into everyone seeing him as an elite passer. Solid QB? Absolutely. But that is because being a QB means so much more than passing. But he is not an elite passer.

Alabama has a QB on the roster who can do everything that Jalen can do while also being an elite passer. Alabama fans got a taste of exactly what that meant in the GA game. Even those who were unsure if it was the play calling or something that was holding Jalen back saw the truth revealed in that game. Jalen has a ceiling, and Tua blew through that ceiling like it wasn't there.

Jalen has a ceiling, and Tua blew through that ceiling like it wasn't there.
    I don't really disagree with that. I'm not saying he's an elite passer, I doubt the guy on Finebaum said that either. I just think its sad that at this point Hurts can't even be complimented without us rushing to set the record straight.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I hope Tua lives up to the expectations of everyone on here; if he doesn't there could be a site blowup of epic proportions.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-SEC

I'm not saying Hurts is a top ten QB, but there are people who are paid to do this for a living that think so. There's also empirical evidence that indicates he still is a pretty good college quarterback. I agree that Tua has surpassed him. Furthermore I agree that the style of offense that Hurts is most capable of running (at this point at least) isn't the best fit for Alabama. But never in all my time here have I seen such a concerted effort to make a current Alabama player out to be something less than many outside observers think he is.

One the first highlighted point, you should add "or any team in the NFL."

As for the second, ya know, I think you really must be related to the kid. You say out of one side of your mouth that you know Tua has passed him, but I don't think you really believe that at all. You take every criticism of his play at QB as a big personal insult to both you and him. Look, almost all of us here, including me, wish Jalen were every bit the QB that Tua was and more. We wish he were a combination of Tom Brady, Dan Marino, Aaron Rodgers, Joe Montana, (add any great QB's you wish), but the fact is he simply isn't. He is a wonderful kid who either should have played a different position or been trained differently from the start in order to capitalize on his immense talent. Because, as it stands now, the idea of him ever playing in the NFL as a QB is laughable.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I hope Tua lives up to the expectations of everyone on here; if he doesn't there could be a site blowup of epic proportions.
    I agree. There are times I worry that I am setting myself up to be disappointed. We can all see Tua has a tremendous amount of potential. But whether he will actually reach that potential is still uncertain. I hope we are all right.

I think that folks here love Hurts. I know that I do. He is one of the best team players that I have seen - reminds me of Ingram in that respect. Really happy to see those around him do well. I also think that everyone here has nothing but well wishes for Jalen, whether he stays at Alabama or leaves. But that does not translate into everyone seeing him as an elite passer. Solid QB? Absolutely. But that is because being a QB means so much more than passing. But he is not an elite passer.

Alabama has a QB on the roster who can do everything that Jalen can do while also being an elite passer. Alabama fans got a taste of exactly what that meant in the GA game. Even those who were unsure if it was the play calling or something that was holding Jalen back saw the truth revealed in that game. Jalen has a ceiling, and Tua blew through that ceiling like it wasn't there.
    i personally can't wait to see what tua is capable of as the head dude, but we have exactly 1 half (and a damned fine half) of meaningful football by which to judge him.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon