News Article: Julio miffed...

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Julio is high reward but also very high risk. Say what you want but he is injury prone. The Falcons are not going to give him some huge new contract with guaranteed money or end loaded. Julio knows he is injury prone and his years and value are not increasing each year so he is trying to make this his last big deal to get all he can.

Is there some middle ground? Possibly. But if I was the Falcons it would be heavily performance based and and allow for them to have some protection from injury risks. Julio wont go for that and he knows he only needs one team to throw money at him if the Falcons don't cooperate. This is likely not going to end soon or well unless Julio changes his mindset.

The real losers here are both the Falcons and Ridley. A Falcons team with Julio and Ridley on the field would be scary. Both of them would benefit from having the other opposite them. If Julio is out and Ridley in, Ridley will have bigger numbers in year one but the Falcons want be a better team and Falcons with only Ridley is not as good as Falcons with only Julio.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I usually attend about 3 Falcons games a year and started doing so when Julio was drafted by the Falcons. Saying that I hope he protects himself to the fullest. If he has a serious injury this year concussions or something else career ending no one is going to cry for him. Julio plays with reckless abandon and is not afraid to go over the middle or sacrifice his body and lay out for a catch in traffic. If he can’t play due to injury the Falcons will cut him and most fans won't bat an eye.

Here is a cautionary tale for you. Remember Sterling Sharpe? He had just signed a contract that was going to make him the top paid wide receiver from 1995-2000. He got a neck injury and was promptly cut before the 1995 season was even played. Keep in mind he sustained this injury doing something Julio does well blocking. This is an apple to apples comparison for Julio to be careful. The NFL is a war zone littered with the walking dead and injured. Pick any other position and you will find players who faced the exact same thing or worse than Sterling. I am not talking about the guys making 15 million a year, they will be fine. It’s the ones making the league minimum that are hit the hardest.

It will take players like Julio taking a stand asking for guaranteed money that will make it better for the 100's of players who have no voice. I think he will cave and come back without a contract. I would rather he go the Barry Sanders route and walk away with all his mental and physical capacities/abilities than be another tragic example of what he should have done. If he were in any other occupation I would not feel this way, and in fact did not until all the research about CTE was published. Knowing the dangers and certainty he will be cut if he is injured I say get your money Julio!!!!

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Some people feel they are worth a whole more than they are. Not saying that is the issue with Julio. But just think what kind of world we would live in if everyone was paid what they think they are worth.
Hoping the young man gets paid what he feels he's worth

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
All being said, contract and all, his word, bond, everything. The NFL is a different animal than any Business model ever! More power to Julio, Get what you can, while you can.
But these agents are paid to operate on the behalf of these players in this "different animal" type business model. It's why they get paid what they do. Julio's agent didn't do a lot of forward thinking, IMO.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This is like people who say "If you don't like where you live then move!". It's simply not as easy as that. We all wish it was, trust me.
For sure. Not saying I would just up and quit but I would definitely start looking elsewhere if a company had that much of a close minded policy IRT compensation reviews. Of course, just like the situation with the Falcons, it depends on the type of employee / player being discussed. If Julio was your average joe the Falcons wouldn't even entertain this but because he's arguably their best player and the top WR in football they almost have to address it or consider his request..

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
There was an Atlanta Falcons beat reporter on this morning that said he thought that maybe Julio doesn’t want to play much longer and will not want to extend his current contract. He is only guessing right now, but he thinks Julio has “a little bit of Calvin Johnson in him”. This makes more sense to me than Julio being a selfish prima donna type. The reporter also stated that the Falcons were a little blind-sided by this. This is very unlike Julio, but the reporter believes Julio just wants more money now and then he will hang it up in 2 years. Julio knows he is pretty injury prone and doesn’t want to risk getting hurt this year and then trying to renegotiate a contract next year.

Julio has a lot of outside interests including some construction mixed use buildings in Buford. And no I do not know the architects or the work that is going to be done. I could probably find out.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
For sure. Not saying I would just up and quit but I would definitely start looking elsewhere if a company had that much of a close minded policy IRT compensation reviews. Of course, just like the situation with the Falcons, it depends on the type of employee / player being discussed. If Julio was your average joe the Falcons wouldn't even entertain this but because he's arguably their best player and the top WR in football they almost have to address it or consider his request..
I don't think that they are close minded. I think that they simply cannot do it. I heard someone yesterday explaining why, and it had to do with the cap and a few other players, but it made sense. I can't remember the details because I am in the process of passing a kidney stone and I was watching while suffering.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I don't think that they are close minded. I think that they simply cannot do it. I heard someone yesterday explaining why, and it had to do with the cap and a few other players, but it made sense. I can't remember the details because I am in the process of passing a kidney stone and I was watching while suffering.
Me either. I think they are in a position of having to think about the entire team and Julio is coming from a position of only thinking about himself.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Me either. I think they are in a position of having to think about the entire team and Julio is coming from a position of only thinking about himself.
That's the thing that bothers me about this. Julio is a smart guy. Someone needs to just sit down with him and show him the math. If Julio hasn't asked that of his agent yet, that is on him. But the math is pretty clear - Atlanta simply cannot take care of Julio until next year.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
That's the thing that bothers me about this. Julio is a smart guy. Someone needs to just sit down with him and show him the math. If Julio hasn't asked that of his agent yet, that is on him. But the math is pretty clear - Atlanta simply cannot take care of Julio until next year.
I am hearing this can all go away if they guarantee his money on his existing contract.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I'm not sure the Falcons have done this and to be honest they aren't obligated to either. But the Miami Marlins essentially told Giancarlo Stanton they could pay him what he wanted, but the team as a whole would never be worth a flip. He could take a lessor amount and they could put a better team around him, or agree to be traded. We all know what happened. I know it's human nature for people to want want the best of both worlds. But in most cases when it comes to professional sports with salary caps. Players have to agree to not "break the bank" on contracts to ensure the team can put a competitive team on the field.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I am hearing this can all go away if they guarantee his money on his existing contract.
When I first looked at Julio's contract I thought he had guaranteed salary this year and the next 2 years. If that's not the case then this makes more sense from Julio's perspective. That would mean he's basically playing on a 1 year contract for this year and the next 2 years are team options which means they could just cut him if he gets hurt or for any reason..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
When I first looked at Julio's contract I thought he had guaranteed salary this year and the next 2 years. If that's not the case then this makes more sense from Julio's perspective. That would mean he's basically playing on a 1 year contract for this year and the next 2 years are team options which means they could just cut him if he gets hurt or for any reason..
None of the money is guaranteed through the remainder of his contract. I have not heard what Julio is asking for anywhere. If he is just asking for guarantees, it is a no brainer and the Falcons would do it in a second. It costs them nothing more against the cap assuming Julio plays well enough not to have to be replaced.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
None of the money is guaranteed through the remainder of his contract. I have not heard what Julio is asking for anywhere. If he is just asking for guarantees, it is a no brainer and the Falcons would do it in a second. It costs them nothing more against the cap assuming Julio plays well enough not to have to be replaced.
Which leads me to believe it's more than just this. They haven't been shy about not re-doing his contract with three years left. So, as you state, if all it was is to just guarantee the money, then they should have zero problem signing on the dotted line and making this go away. But I don't think it's just that.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I don't think that they are close minded. I think that they simply cannot do it. I heard someone yesterday explaining why, and it had to do with the cap and a few other players, but it made sense.
Yeah I read something similar. The Falcons are readay and willing to negotiate after the season starts, but doing anything now will completely screw up their cap situation.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Sounds like they adjusted his salary for this year somewhat and then will negotiate the rest after the season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.