News Article: Julio miffed... - Page 2
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 256

Thread: Julio miffed...

  1. #14
    BamaNation All-SEC CrimsonTheory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    CrimsonBleedRed
    Posts
    1,965

    Re: Julio miffed...

    Quote Originally Posted by tusks_n_raider View Post
    I disagree. If you look at the Top 5 All-Time NFL WR's they had phenominal careers that lasted 14+ years before they showed a steady decline.

    Julio is just at the halfway point and hitting his prime. Considering his Freak Physique he probably has another 7-9 years of dominating left in him. 5-6 Years at worst. He's arguably the #1 WR in the League and should get money for the type of numbers he will put up in the next 5-6 and/or 7-9 years.
    But this is also a different era of football. Players are more aware of their post-NFL career. I'm not saying Julio is ready to walk away (ala Calvin Johnson), I'm saying it's not a lock that Julio plays as long as some of the greats.

    I understand why Julio is upset, but he did sign the contract and imo he should honor, just like every other player who has consider sitting out, the contract they signed.
    the former CrimsonBleedRed.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #15
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Auburn/near a cow pasture
    Posts
    3,850

    Re: Julio miffed...

    Cleveland is about to not be the same Cleveland.. But either way, they arent shopping for a WR

    Quote Originally Posted by Keeter View Post
    That is a good question.............where is anyone's guess, as long as it isn't Cleveland

  4. #16
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    16,835

    Re: Julio miffed...

    For those focused on a player "honoring their contract", remember that the NFL owners do not care about the players - not one bit. They fought for decades to keep brain injuries from being researched, knowing that they were killing players. Contracts are designed to pay only during the first few years so they can discard a player at no cost if they are injured or if their performance slips. Players are generally addicted to pain killers when they leave the NFL because they are encouraged to play injured, and often lose their job if they are not willing to do so.

    If any other workplace treated employees like the NFL treats employees, they would be sued out of business. NFL contracts are totally one sided. overthecap.com estimates that less than 20% of all NFL multi-year contracts make it through to conclusion, mostly because owners walk away from the contracts when it is to their advantage. But players are not supposed to try to renegotiate? Players are not "honoring" their contracts? The players union in the NFL is a joke. The players have no idea how weak their union really is.

    Kirk Cousins may have just changed expectations of high value players. He just signed a 3 year contract worth $84MM, and it is fully guaranteed. Players like Julio Jones have taken note and want similar contracts. There is even talk among players of a willingness to take less per year if their entire contract were fully guaranteed. Frankly, I am not sure why the NFL won't shift to this model. Forget the risk of injuries - other sports buy insurance to cover their losses if they lose a player to injury during a contract. That insurance would be more expensive in the NFL because players are more than 5 times more likely to suffer a career ending injury, but the costs could be offset by lower player salaries.

  5. #17
    BamaNation Hall of Fame bamaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Crooked Kirby’s home state
    Posts
    5,716

    Re: Julio miffed...

    I guess it should go both ways. An NFL can release a player at any time for any reason. NFL teams should honor the contract. They signed it, honor it! And no, no one is forcing a player to play. But I would rather see the best, Like Julio go all out rather than a scrub. So I for one am glad they offered to sacrifice their health for our enjoyment. And think they should get all they can while they can!
    to 16 and beyond........

  6. #18
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    9,286

    Re: Julio miffed...

    I think the agreement between NFL and players ends in 2020.... I think this will be the main topic.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

  7. #19
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    11,778

    Re: Julio miffed...

    The thing being missed here is that the Falcons did make Julio the highest paid receiver when he signed his contract that he's playing under now. As the article states, teams like the Browns went out and gave Jarvis Landry a 5 year $75Million contract. The Falcons shouldn't be held to the stupidity of another team. I guess what Julio is after is the same thing Aaron Rodgers is after in his next contract - an escalation clause in the contract which would adjust Julio's salary to make sure he's always in the top 3 WR salary in the NFL. The problem with that is no team will agree to that because, like I already stated, the Falcons don't want to be held to the bad contracts other teams give out. I see both sides off the argument..

  8. #20
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    11,778

    Re: Julio miffed...

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    For those focused on a player "honoring their contract", remember that the NFL owners do not care about the players - not one bit. They fought for decades to keep brain injuries from being researched, knowing that they were killing players. Contracts are designed to pay only during the first few years so they can discard a player at no cost if they are injured or if their performance slips. Players are generally addicted to pain killers when they leave the NFL because they are encouraged to play injured, and often lose their job if they are not willing to do so.

    If any other workplace treated employees like the NFL treats employees, they would be sued out of business. NFL contracts are totally one sided. overthecap.com estimates that less than 20% of all NFL multi-year contracts make it through to conclusion, mostly because owners walk away from the contracts when it is to their advantage. But players are not supposed to try to renegotiate? Players are not "honoring" their contracts? The players union in the NFL is a joke. The players have no idea how weak their union really is.

    Kirk Cousins may have just changed expectations of high value players. He just signed a 3 year contract worth $84MM, and it is fully guaranteed. Players like Julio Jones have taken note and want similar contracts. There is even talk among players of a willingness to take less per year if their entire contract were fully guaranteed. Frankly, I am not sure why the NFL won't shift to this model. Forget the risk of injuries - other sports buy insurance to cover their losses if they lose a player to injury during a contract. That insurance would be more expensive in the NFL because players are more than 5 times more likely to suffer a career ending injury, but the costs could be offset by lower player salaries.
    Seriously doubt it. You had to really be following the Kirk Cousins saga close to understand why he was able to negotiate that deal. He "bet" on himself twice by not signing guaranteed deals and thus being placed with the franchise tag twice. I think he was the only, or one of a few, that ever happened to. Thus, after he'd be franchise tagged multiple times he was free to finally negotiate his own deal. The reason this won't be duplicated is that it's very risky to bet on yourself for multiple years in the NFL. Ask Teddy Bridgewater or any other player whose suffered a significant injury.

    Also, in response to your second point about NFL contracts being one side compared to the NBA - it's all about barriers to entry. The average NBA player height is 6'8. The average height in the US is 5'11. So, not only does someone have to be significantly taller than the average person to play in the NBA they also have to be an elite athlete. Basically, a supply and demand situation. The NBA prospects / players are so few compared to the NFL so they can negotiate better collective bargaining agreements. Of course team size also gets taken into the equation IRT how the money gets split up. Only 12 or so on an NBA roster and 53 man NFL roster..
    Last edited by CrimsonForce; June 13th, 2018 at 08:30 AM.

  9. #21
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Arlington, Tx
    Posts
    1,381

    Re: Julio miffed...

    Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    Atlanta sports talk guys seem to be the most PO’d about Julio. Years ago I use to think players should shut up and honor the contract they signed, but it really doesn’t work like that. Julio at 29 now, and 32 when his contract is up, will not get another big contract. But the biggest thing is they should get as much as they possibly can , while they can. This game is killing them. Maybe not today, but it is taking time off their lives. It is taking quality out of their later years. I bet the life expectancy of an NFL Player is far less than the public at large. I can’t begrudge anyone for doing all they can to get all they can while they can and by any legal means available to them.
    Ya know, I tend to ride the fence on these issues. I want players to get as much as they can because I do know they have short careers. I also fully support Bama players and want all of them to do as well as possible in their time after college football. But that one part I bolded is where we disagree (but only slightly). Yes, quite often they will have aches that will stay with them the rest of their lives due to their time playing football. No argument there. Sadly, a few (even a few is too many) will have major issues that haunt them and take time off of their lives (I am talking Kevin Turner fashion..his story still makes me cry). But with the exception of that latter group, their football career allows for a quality of life during and after football that most of us can only dream about. I would gladly take their aches and pains until the age of 70 to enjoy what some of them never fully appreciate.

  10. #22
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    332

    Re: Julio miffed...

    Quote Originally Posted by GP for Bama View Post
    I love Julio... but I think folks should honor their contracts.
    That's really the root of the issue with most fans. However, coaches leave jobs all the time and break their contracts. Once the guaranteed money on an older, under-performing NFL player is paid-out, he's going to get cut with years still left on his contract. Yet, in both of these instances, no one gets upset. They just chalk it up to that's how things are.

    This is the last opportunity Julio has where he holds leverage and can get himself some extra pay. As a Falcons fan, I want him out there, but I get why he's frustrated after watching Freeman and Ryan get their deals renegotiated. The Falcons have about as good of a chance as any team in the NFC to reaching the Super Bowl. They probably would have last year if Julio hadn't stumbled in the endzone in Philadelphia. Therefore, the Falcons will get this worked out before training camp starts in 6 weeks.

  11. #23
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,625

    Re: Julio miffed...

    In 3 years he probably won't be able to get a big payday because he will be on the wrong side of 30 and has injury history. I completely understand wanting to push for more money while he can tbh.

  12. #24
    BamaNation All-American AlexanderFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    4,654

    Re: Julio miffed...

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    For those focused on a player "honoring their contract", remember that the NFL owners do not care about the players - not one bit. They fought for decades to keep brain injuries from being researched, knowing that they were killing players. Contracts are designed to pay only during the first few years so they can discard a player at no cost if they are injured or if their performance slips. Players are generally addicted to pain killers when they leave the NFL because they are encouraged to play injured, and often lose their job if they are not willing to do so.

    If any other workplace treated employees like the NFL treats employees, they would be sued out of business. NFL contracts are totally one sided. overthecap.com estimates that less than 20% of all NFL multi-year contracts make it through to conclusion, mostly because owners walk away from the contracts when it is to their advantage. But players are not supposed to try to renegotiate? Players are not "honoring" their contracts? The players union in the NFL is a joke. The players have no idea how weak their union really is.

    Kirk Cousins may have just changed expectations of high value players. He just signed a 3 year contract worth $84MM, and it is fully guaranteed. Players like Julio Jones have taken note and want similar contracts. There is even talk among players of a willingness to take less per year if their entire contract were fully guaranteed. Frankly, I am not sure why the NFL won't shift to this model. Forget the risk of injuries - other sports buy insurance to cover their losses if they lose a player to injury during a contract. That insurance would be more expensive in the NFL because players are more than 5 times more likely to suffer a career ending injury, but the costs could be offset by lower player salaries.
    If your boss signed you to a five year, ten million dollar contract and decided on year three that he didn't need you anymore would you be upset? The only thing that keeps these guys coming back is greed and ego.

    Why would you need research to tell you that repeated blows to the head by some of the strongest men on the planet could be detrimental to your mental health?

    I'm not sticking up for the owners, I'm speaking merely about players and their contracts. The owners squeeze the life out of players and take advantage of fans.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

  13. #25
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,257

    Re: Julio miffed...

    Quote Originally Posted by gamersfuel View Post
    Cleveland is about to not be the same Cleveland.. But either way, they arent shopping for a WR
    Cleveland will ALWAYS be Cleveland.

  14. #26
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    9,950

    Re: Julio miffed...

    I think the average fan probably has a problem with these guys making that much money. It just shows our values as a society is so out of whack. These are grown men playing a sport. I'm not just talking about football either, but basically all pro sports.

    What if society put that much money into paying people to find a cure for diseases and other problems in the world?

    FWIW, I don't blame the players and if I were one of them I'd want to be paid my fair market value.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

[CLICK] GET BAMA Calendar

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!

Bama Gear up to 60% off!

TideFansStore.com - Fanatics up to 60% off through midnight 6/11!