News Article: Julio miffed...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Guess Julio and company got what they wanted.

Just glad he'll be on the field and I'm looking forward to seeing him and Calvin running routes together.

Calvin is going to love having a QB that can get him the ball on a regular basis!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Julio is cut from the cloth of Saban. He's not blowing his money, he's investing it and opening other ventures in Tuscaloosa that assure he'll be growing his wealth well after playing ball. I'm not going to fault him for milking every last dime he can out his playing days because he's doing it the right way.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I heard on ESPN that what they have worked out for this year is a deal with around the same base that has incentives in it to get more. I always have preferred the idea of incentive-lined contracts, but when it comes to certain positions like WR, his ability to reach those incentives is based too much on the skills of his QB. So now, you are telling Ryan that if he wants to keep his WR, he will have to get him the ball more. Or maybe you are telling him to not throw that guy the ball and save the team some money. Maybe incentives are better for baseball players, now that I think about it.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Guess Julio and company got what they wanted.

Just glad he'll be on the field and I'm looking forward to seeing him and Calvin running routes together.

Calvin is going to love having a QB that can get him the ball on a regular basis!
Yeah, Ridley will have Julio on the opposite side of the field and a QB that will hit him in stride. I don't watch the NFL, but if the Falcons have a decent line and RB, they should have a very capable offense.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I just heard that they converted $2MM of his 2019 salary into a bonus. Not sure how that works, but I guess that he gets that now and it somehow doesn't impact this year's cap. Meanwhile he will lose nothing next year because they intend to renegotiate his deal at the end of the season. That is pretty creative. And it is also a reminder that this is really the way that the CBA is designed to work. Neither party was wrong. Glad it worked out.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I heard on ESPN that what they have worked out for this year is a deal with around the same base that has incentives in it to get more. I always have preferred the idea of incentive-lined contracts, but when it comes to certain positions like WR, his ability to reach those incentives is based too much on the skills of his QB. So now, you are telling Ryan that if he wants to keep his WR, he will have to get him the ball more. Or maybe you are telling him to not throw that guy the ball and save the team some money. Maybe incentives are better for baseball players, now that I think about it.
I think that applies to any skilled position. It's one of the reasons Ricky Williams' incentive laden contract with the Saints (coming out of the draft) was considered idiotic on his part. If you signed that type contract with a team who will always be behind in a game and has to begin passing the ball a lot, or you've signed with a team whose offensive line is considered average to bad at best. You're screwed. Most skilled position players' success is tied to the success of another positioned player or players on the field. Incentive laden contracts in the NFL are great for the team, bad for the player.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that applies to any skilled position. It's one of the reasons Ricky Williams' incentive laden contract with the Saints (coming out of the draft) was considered idiotic on his part. If you signed that type contract with a team who will always be behind in a game and has to begin passing the ball a lot, or you've signed with a team whose offensive line is considered average to bad at best. You're screwed. Most skilled position players' success is tied to the success of another positioned player or players on the field. Incentive laden contracts in the NFL are great for the team, bad for the player.
They are so bad for the player that the NFL doesn't count all of the $$ in those contracts against the cap because it is so unlikely to actually be paid out.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
There was nothing nefarious or wrong about Julio's request. Glad the Falcons decided to take care of him. I hope whoever lost respect for Julio has gained it back now..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Julio Jones' revised deal will net him an additional $2.9 million in 2018. He received a $4.4 million signing bonus and lowered his base salary from $10.5 million to $9 million. Bottom line is that Julio will make $13.4 million instead of $10.5 million this season - per ESPN..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
and falcons didn't have to pay him big this year which allowed them to sign their best OL to a longterm deal.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
and falcons didn't have to pay him big this year which allowed them to sign their best OL to a longterm deal.
That was the key - the bonus was cap neutral, so they are still able to pay the key guys who will become free agents next year. This was great for the long-term stability of the roster.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I get the feeling that Julio's side probably realized they weren't getting a longterm restructure but they just wanted some more upfront guaranteed cash right now. I mean, he did just buy two dealerships in Tuscaloosa.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I’d heard Julio was going to report regardless of the contract outcome and that a lot of the absence was him wanting to get absolutely 100% healthy before camp started. He more of less confirmed just that in his interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I’d heard Julio was going to report regardless of the contract outcome and that a lot of the absence was him wanting to get absolutely 100% healthy before camp started. He more of less confirmed just that in his interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I read that also, but not sure that I buy it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think Ricky and his agent must have been smoking together...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.