News Article: Julio miffed... - Page 5
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Julio miffed...

BamaNation All-SEC

Re: Julio miffed...

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Wouldn't happen - at least, it doesn't happen in the other sports. When your contract is fully guaranteed, you wait until the last year of your contract to begin "negotiating", and both parties have an interest in doing so.
    Ok. Thanks for the education!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedWave View Post
    Ok. Thanks for the education!
    I'm not saying that it never happens, but it is very infrequent.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    First, LOL at the upset comment. Not in the least. Just find it funny that so many here don't really follow NFL yet speak on it like they're experts. We see this all the time around the draft also. You keep moving the goalposts so let me bring this back to the original conversation when you quoted me. There are several here and elsewhere who say that a NFL team is not honoring a contract when they cut a player. That is false. The contract allows for the team to cut a player with no more money owed at a certain point in the contract. At that point the team has honored the contract. Conversely, if Julio or any other player were to sit out and not play because they were demanding to be paid more money that would be not honoring the contract. Sure, any player can hold out or just leave the NFL on their own free will but the player trying to hold the team hostage over what the player signed and agreed means they're not honoring the contract. You're right about one thing - the owners do not call holding out a breach of contract but what they do is fine the player according to the fine schedule in the contract and can withhold other performance and workout bonuses. If the players want fully guaranteed contracts the time to fight for that is during CBA negotiations not mid contract.

To make this easy to understand, Julio basically wants the Falcons to pay him more money because of the bad WR contracts the Browns gave Jarvis Landry and the Chiefs gave Sammy Watkins. This happens all the time when a bad team overpays for a player. Before the offseason and those WRs signed there wasn't an issue. Those 2, and I think a few more, signed contracts that most thought were way overvalued so all of the sudden Julio thinks he should make more. Just not how it works unless Julio negotiated a clause in his contract which would escalate his salary to keep him in the top 3 WR salary pay or something like that. Julio probably had the leverage to do that back when he signed his original deal but he didn't so he needs to play for what he signed for..
    exactly. Sammy Watkins makes more than Julio, let that sink in. The Chiefs are idiots and the Browns are well the Browns.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rolltide_21 View Post
    Explains why JJ purged all his social media accounts of Falcons images a while back. Said he wanted to start over. I immediately thought contract dispute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think this is why Atlanta media is so miffed. They were told this was "no big deal". Apparently it was a big deal.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    I think this is why Atlanta media is so miffed. They were told this was "no big deal". Apparently it was a big deal.
    Yeah, Julio should have said nothing. He painted himself into this corner with the fans and media by saying that and then not showing up.

BamaNation First Team BamaFanatJSU's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    exactly. Sammy Watkins makes more than Julio, let that sink in. The Chiefs are idiots and the Browns are well the Browns.
    I agree wholeheartedly on Sammy Watkins and the Chiefs: what a dumb move.

Conversely, I can't fault the Browns as much. Landry is a reception monster, and the Browns needed more of an underneath route runner that could suck up targets in that intermediate range (and possibly do something explosive with it) since they already have outside vertical threats in Josh Gordon and Corey Coleman (and a rising star running up the seam in David Njoku). He might be expensive and a bit of an overpay, but I personally think Landry is a good fit for that offense.

Julio's fault. He signed the contract. Should have either signed for less years so he could re-sign now, or gotten more money guaranteed.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

I agree except for the bolded. This is exactly how it works. Almost every NFL player who is outplaying his contract as a veteran does this once the guaranteed portion of the contract ends.

Also, sorry for the "upset" comment. I made a poor assumption. All of your posts have been logical. But you seem to see what the players do in this situation as "wrong" in some way, and it is not. The CBA has remedies built in to handle these situations specifically because it is normal. You see, it isn't just the player's contract in play - the CBA is also in play. The players and owners have agreed to both. And sometimes the two interact in ways that seem as if one party or the other is doing something unethical when in reality they are doing something totally within the construct of the two agreements.
    Well, to be clear, holding out in June is completely different than holding out in August. I have no problem with a player sitting out OTAs, voluntary workouts, summer training camp etc. to try and pressure the team to restructure the contract. But, if it comes down to it, and Julio (or any other player) were to sit out regular season games because they were unhappy with their contract, there's no question that the player would be in the wrong at that point. This whole thread is kind of jumping the gun because for all we know Julio could show up in August and be a full participant. Even if he was at practice now he wouldn't be doing much..

Well, to be clear, holding out in June is completely different than holding out in August. I have no problem with a player sitting out OTAs, voluntary workouts, summer training camp etc. to try and pressure the team to restructure the contract. But, if it comes down to it, and Julio (or any other player) were to sit out regular season games because they were unhappy with their contract, there's no question that the player would be in the wrong at that point. This whole thread is kind of jumping the gun because for all we know Julio could show up in August and be a full participant. Even if he was at practice now he wouldn't be doing much..
    It starts to cost the player huge $$$ if/when they start to miss any games, including preseason games. They can be fined 1/17th of their salary for each game missed. I fully expect Julio to be on the field for every game, including those.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

It starts to cost the player huge $$$ if/when they start to miss any games, including preseason games. They can be fined 1/17th of their salary for each game missed. I fully expect Julio to be on the field for every game, including those.
    The biggest loser in this is probably Calvin Ridley because it would be invaluable to learn from Julio during this time. It's good that Calvin's getting more reps but I bet he could learn a lot from just being around Julio. Like you, I fully expect Julio to suit up when it matters..

BamaNation All-American Mystical's Avatar

Why would they be wrong. Their services are all they have to offer or with hold. Teams cut players all the time to get out of over priced contracts. This is the only way players can get out of under priced contracts. If Julio has the money to sit out he has that right. They have his contract they don't own him. The contract prevents him from signing with another team not sitting out for what ever reason. They can and will not pay him for the training and games he missed but that is it according to the contract.

Never going to get me to go against Julio unless he does something off the field. So far he has represented the University perfectly. Get your money Julio!!!!
    WHERE EVER YOU GO, YOU TAKE YOURSELF WITH YOU

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GP for Bama View Post
    I love Julio... but I think folks should honor their contracts.
    Thatís just it...the contracts are written so the owners donít have to honor them. Save for guaranteed money they can cut the the player at anytime and owe them nothing. Thatís why this happens a why so many players are demanding guaranteed money. Julio absolutely has a point. Atlanta should just pay him and lock up his services.

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar

Seriously doubt it. You had to really be following the Kirk Cousins saga close to understand why he was able to negotiate that deal. He "bet" on himself twice by not signing guaranteed deals and thus being placed with the franchise tag twice. I think he was the only, or one of a few, that ever happened to. Thus, after he'd be franchise tagged multiple times he was free to finally negotiate his own deal. The reason this won't be duplicated is that it's very risky to bet on yourself for multiple years in the NFL. Ask Teddy Bridgewater or any other player whose suffered a significant injury.

Also, in response to your second point about NFL contracts being one side compared to the NBA - it's all about barriers to entry. The average NBA player height is 6'8. The average height in the US is 5'11. So, not only does someone have to be significantly taller than the average person to play in the NBA they also have to be an elite athlete. Basically, a supply and demand situation. The NBA prospects / players are so few compared to the NFL so they can negotiate better collective bargaining agreements. Of course team size also gets taken into the equation IRT how the money gets split up. Only 12 or so on an NBA roster and 53 man NFL roster..
    He got nearly 60 million in those 2 years. Thatís generational wealth. A lot easier to take that risk.