News Article: Julio miffed...

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Guess I am the only person who will say he is kind of a fan of TO. The kid is from Alex City. Yes, he was well over the top in his attitude, a bit of a prima donna sometimes, but he could play. Randy Moss was from the same era, and everyone was glowing with praise about his skills. But the thing with Randy is that he always seemed to be dogging it on plays where the ball wasn't coming his way(though I am sure there are exceptions), more so before his time with the Patriots than during. It always seemed like TO was giving it his all on every play(I am sure you can find examples of me being wrong on this too). I recall him being a very good blocking WR, which not all are. I think if you put him at Bama during the Saban era, then he becomes an admired player in this community.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Guess I am the only person who will say he is kind of a fan of TO. The kid is from Alex City. Yes, he was well over the top in his attitude, a bit of a prima donna sometimes, but he could play. Randy Moss was from the same era, and everyone was glowing with praise about his skills. But the thing with Randy is that he always seemed to be dogging it on plays where the ball wasn't coming his way(though I am sure there are exceptions), more so before his time with the Patriots than during. It always seemed like TO was giving it his all on every play(I am sure you can find examples of me being wrong on this too). I recall him being a very good blocking WR, which not all are. I think if you put him at Bama during the Saban era, then he becomes an admired player in this community.
Idk if I would go as far to call myself a TO fan (mostly because I'm a Redskins fan so...). But he is far from the worst in the NFL.

And again, he is working out with TO because TO is one of the greatest WRs of all time. Not that anyone here is saying this but lets not pretend he would provide no value for Julio as a work out partner.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If Julio skips his HOF ceremony I will call him a jerk.

That being said, I think getting on the field tips from TO would be beneficial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Idk if I would go as far to call myself a TO fan (mostly because I'm a Redskins fan so...). But he is far from the worst in the NFL.

And again, he is working out with TO because TO is one of the greatest WRs of all time. Not that anyone here is saying this but lets not pretend he would provide no value for Julio as a work out partner.
There's no doubt from strictly a football standpoint TO could probably pass on a lot of good information and I don't think anyone is arguing that point. It's the "other stuff" that TO could possibly influence Julio on that may not be the best advice. But Julio is not only a grown man, but I believe he's got a mind of his own. So he maybe taking the stance of "I'll listen to TO and filter through what I want and ignore what I don't." If that's what he's doing there's nothing wrong with that. He just needs to be very careful of public opinion and how it pertains and impacts his brand that he has worked so hard to build.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
There's no doubt from strictly a football standpoint TO could probably pass on a lot of good information and I don't think anyone is arguing that point. It's the "other stuff" that TO could possibly influence Julio on that may not be the best advice. But Julio is not only a grown man, but I believe he's got a mind of his own. So he maybe taking the stance of "I'll listen to TO and filter through what I want and ignore what I don't." If that's what he's doing there's nothing wrong with that. He just needs to be very careful of public opinion and how it pertains and impacts his brand that he has worked so hard to build.
Agreed. I just felt that it needed to be said that TO does provide some value.

FWIW the first part of Mike Freeman's "10 point stance" discusses this whole thing some. And I think its a decent enough read.

Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Terrell Owens Isn't Brainwashing Julio Jones

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He wants to spend the day the way he wants to spend it. I'm fine with that. And, frankly the HOF is a sham in a lot of ways. TO should have been a first ballot and everyone knows it, the fact he wasn't is ridiculous IMO.
Beg to differ. Huge NFL fan here, and I love TO the player, but TO the teammate was pure garbage. The HoF has never just been about numbers. From his first team to his last, TO was a locker-room problem, a distraction off the field and an egomaniac who consistently put himself in front of his team. Why would the NFL want to honor him by electing hi on the first ballot?

Yeah, he was going to get in eventually, but the NFL had its say in the process. Now TO gets his say, by not participating in the induction ceremony. I am fine with both. Honestly, does anyone want to hear more from Owens besides Owens?

As for Julio - he is an alpha among alphas. He will take what he needs from TO and discard that which doesn't help him. It's not like they are new best friends or something.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Beg to differ. Huge NFL fan here, and I love TO the player, but TO the teammate was pure garbage. The HoF has never just been about numbers. From his first team to his last, TO was a locker-room problem, a distraction off the field and an egomaniac who consistently put himself in front of his team. Why would the NFL want to honor him by electing hi on the first ballot?

Yeah, he was going to get in eventually, but the NFL had its say in the process. Now TO gets his say, by not participating in the induction ceremony. I am fine with both. Honestly, does anyone want to hear more from Owens besides Owens?

As for Julio - he is an alpha among alphas. He will take what he needs from TO and discard that which doesn't help him. It's not like they are new best friends or something.
The HOF is literally all about numbers. In fact they are supposed to keep off the field stuff out of the voting process. Its supposed to be about what you do on the field. They made an exception for TO because they tricked themselves into thinking his off the field behavior somehow counts as on field behavior in his case. Heck, OJ Simpson and Ray Lewis are in the HOF.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The HOF is literally all about numbers. In fact they are supposed to keep off the field stuff out of the voting process. Its supposed to be about what you do on the field. They made an exception for TO because they tricked themselves into thinking his off the field behavior somehow counts as on field behavior in his case. Heck, OJ Simpson and Ray Lewis are in the HOF.
You are ignoring the fact that he was one of the worst teammates in the history of the game. So, if you think it is all about the numbers - fine. TO comes in dead last in the NFL as a teammate. That is a significant number.

Other players have had off the field issues, but the ones who made the HoF were great players and teammates. As for OJ - I won't defend the HoF for keeping him in there.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
You are ignoring the fact that he was one of the worst teammates in the history of the game. So, if you think it is all about the numbers - fine. TO comes in dead last in the NFL as a teammate. That is a significant number.

Other players have had off the field issues, but the ones who made the HoF were great players and teammates. As for OJ - I won't defend the HoF for keeping him in there.
We are just going to have to agree to disagree. But that's not a real number.

TO is one of the best WRs of all time. Arguably top 5. He deserves to be in the Hall and I'm glad he is but I also think he should have been a 1st ballot.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

Worse than Ocho Cinco? And dogging it on the field and pouting on plays you don't get the ball makes you a better teammate (Moss). I don't know. I put those three guys together in terms of era, along with Harrison. If I am picking, I take Harrison first, TO second, then I just pass on the other two.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

TO is one of the best WRs of all time. Arguably top 5. He deserves to be in the Hall and I'm glad he is but I also think he should have been a 1st ballot.
Where we disagree is with your statement that everyone knows that TO should have been a first ballot HoFer. Clearly everyone does not know this. I mean, he didn't get the votes. That is evidence enough.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Worse than Ocho Cinco? And dogging it on the field and pouting on plays you don't get the ball makes you a better teammate (Moss). I don't know. I put those three guys together in terms of era, along with Harrison. If I am picking, I take Harrison first, TO second, then I just pass on the other two.
Yeah, there have been a bunch of idiot WRs. I would place TO as the worst of this lot, but other might disagree.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Where we disagree is with your statement that everyone knows that TO should have been a first ballot HoFer. Clearly everyone does not know this. I mean, he didn't get the votes. That is evidence enough.
I clearly didn't mean literally everybody. But its ok. I do see your side. I just disagree with it. I definitely don't think TO is a saint or anything.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Getting voted into the HOF for the most part (is and should be) about what a player does on the field. TO was voted into the HOF (as he deserved). The HOF did it's job and voted in a guy who deserved it. But it's obvious the selection committee takes some leeway and uses the option of WHEN someone gets voted in as a way to account for the entire person. Things that happened off the field, and in this case, it was TO's immaturity as a teammate and his trail of crappy teammate moments. I'm not sure where I stand on this component of the selection. I think the most important thing is he got voted in, because he deserved it based on his play. So they got the most important thing right. The rest is just good conversation at the water cooler. In other words, not really a big deal. The guy got in. So he got what he deserved.

The irony of it all is TO's response for not being selected 1st ballot is the reason he was not selected 1st ballot. The guy just can't take the high road when put in situations that require maturity. I also wonder how welcomed he will be by other HOF'ers at HOF events in the future? Skipping this may not sit well with a lot of them.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The irony of it all is TO's response for not being selected 1st ballot is the reason he was not selected 1st ballot. The guy just can't take the high road when put in situations that require maturity. I also wonder how welcomed he will be by other HOF'ers at HOF events in the future? Skipping this may not sit well with a lot of them.
Based on his comments when interviewed about being a "bad teammate", he is oblivious. He has no idea that he is not liked by his former teammates, much less why. He doesn't care enough to even wonder.

I doubt that he is going to be attending many HoF events in the future unless he has something to gain personally, so I doubt that he cares what the other members think of him.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Might have already been mentioned, but Julio could realize he is on the verge of experiencing what happened when he got to Atlanta in 2011.

He was drafted in the first round when the Falcons had Roddy White on the roster. White was entering his seventh year in the league when Julio was drafted.

Now, Julio wants more money as he enters eighth year in the league and the Falcons just used their first round pick on a WR.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I will say this, though. I no longer give quite the same reverence to the Hall Of Fame. In the case of any hall of fame these days, they have turned into the Hall Of "Ehh, I Guess They Were Pretty Good." Even though I supported TO earlier, and I do think he was a good player, especially (as mentioned) as a blocking WR, I will say now I don't really consider him Hall Of Fame material by my own standards. But if I was responsible for choosing HOF members, it would be a much, much smaller club. It would mean something to be in there.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I will say this, though. I no longer give quite the same reverence to the Hall Of Fame. In the case of any hall of fame these days, they have turned into the Hall Of "Ehh, I Guess They Were Pretty Good." Even though I supported TO earlier, and I do think he was a good player, especially (as mentioned) as a blocking WR, I will say now I don't really consider him Hall Of Fame material by my own standards. But if I was responsible for choosing HOF members, it would be a much, much smaller club. It would mean something to be in there.
I assume you mean because of his personality right?

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Totally and completely agree. There are the pioneers, the founders, those who altered societal norms, Jackie Robinson; the extraordinary achievers, Vince Lombardi, Willy Mays, Hank Aaron, etc.

Then there is a whole bunch of decent athletes who played the game. They appear to cheapen the institution when the are stuffed into the HOF side by side with the legends.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I think it would be a hard job because of so many things that change in the game with every passing generation. Rule changes, technological advancements in equipment, nutritional advancements available to players in one era that didn't exist in a previous etc. There are so many things to factor in to try to stay consistent so deserving players are rewarded and not left out and on the flip side, players who aren't deserving aren't voted in because "his numbers" are better than a current HOF member of 30-40 years ago.

This reminds me of a conversation I was listening to on the MLB Network the other night and they were discussing a current player (one of baseballs star players) and they were talking about "he's already better than Mays, Mantle, Williams, Aaron etc. at this point in his career." I call bull hockey because if those players would have had access to the nutrition and training tools players today grew up with, the aforementioned players' stats would have been more eye popping than what they already are. There has to be an adjustment for A LOT of things when comparing different era of players.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.