News Article: Julio miffed...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The HOF has always rubbed me the wrong way because of who votes on it. It is just a bunch of sport writers. If these guys have a grudge with someone they just don’t get in. I saw a show once on NFL Network “Top 10 Guys Not in the Hal of Fame”. When Kenny Stabler was brought up, one of the guys interviewed said “as long as he (the writer) was alive Kenny Stabler would never get in. So either that writer died or he finally relented because Snake died.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The HOF has always rubbed me the wrong way because of who votes on it. It is just a bunch of sport writers. If these guys have a grudge with someone they just don’t get in. I saw a show once on NFL Network “Top 10 Guys Not in the Hal of Fame”. When Kenny Stabler was brought up, one of the guys interviewed said “as long as he (the writer) was alive Kenny Stabler would never get in. So either that writer died or he finally relented because Snake died.
We are all biased, but media members talk about their bias, which makes it more obvious and more difficult to stomach if you are just a fan looking to separate "politics" from sports.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Agreed. A lot of sportswriters seem to be the kid who loved sports with all their heart but wasn't blessed with the physical ability to actually play it. So they carried that resentment into adulthood. They loved sports so much they wanted to be connected to sports somehow. So they did (in their mind) the next best thing. They became a sportswriter and covered the game. As the years pass and they are around the game a lot they become very self righteous and get a very inflated view of their importance within the sport. So anytime a player (especially a star player) doesn't kiss their rear ends that old childhood resentment resurfaces and they lash out in ways like you've mentioned.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
No. I mean by playing. But I would want my HOF to be only the absolute elite in history. Not just the really, really good players.
What would be your threshold for elite? Because TO is arguably a top 5 WR all time.

As for everything else. There is no perfect system for the HOF. People will have issues about it not matter what. It's a really hard job because like someone said above different eras and rule changes can really impact things.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I've always struggled with the idea of if a guy is a first ballot HOFer or not. Either the player is worthy of the HOF or he/she isn't. Why does it matter how many times the player has been on the ballot?

After seeing the name on the ballot for 5 years, do voters begin to feel sorry and vote the player in? Not like the resume gets better or worse in that time frame.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I've always struggled with the idea of if a guy is a first ballot HOFer or not. Either the player is worthy of the HOF or he/she isn't. Why does it matter how many times the player has been on the ballot?

After seeing the name on the ballot for 5 years, do voters begin to feel sorry and vote the player in? Not like the resume gets better or worse in that time frame.
Its supposed to be because not all HOF classes are created equal. There are times where a lot of HOF players become eligible the same year as one another and there are only so many HOF spots per year. Maybe that is what needs to change? Stop limiting the number of HOF spots per year and just vote people in immediately if they deserve it? I don't know.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I will put this another way. Let's talk about the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. I don't think any person with a brain would ever argue against the Beatles being in there. As solo artists, John Lennon and Paul McCartney both did enough, in my eyes, to warrant solo inclusion into the Hall as well. But recently, Ringo Starr went in as a solo performer as well. Now, I am not at all discounting his quality as a drummer for the Beatles or in general. However, when I look at his solo career, I do not find anything at all that I would say is Hall Of Fame worthy. I guess he was put in there that way just because he was a member of the Beatles and the others had already gotten in. I think it cheapened the Hall to do that, but I didn't get to choose. Of course, this is the same Hall Of Fame that didn't let KISS in until just a few years ago.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Just think if a player was eligible to be on the ballot just one time. Cris Carter would have been left out. According to this article it took him six times to get voted in.

Carter, who had 130 touchdowns in his 16-year career, got into the Canton, Ohio, hall on his sixth try.

http://www.startribune.com/cris-carter-finally-makes-pro-football-hall-of-fame/189519371/

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Its supposed to be because not all HOF classes are created equal. There are times where a lot of HOF players become eligible the same year as one another and there are only so many HOF spots per year. Maybe that is what needs to change? Stop limiting the number of HOF spots per year and just vote people in immediately if they deserve it? I don't know.
Had thought of this, and I could buy it if players weren't jumped by newcomers.

That being said, there shouldn't be a maximum number of entries per year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Pete Rose not being in the baseball HOF takes away all of that HOF's credibility for me. Just as another example.
Not to me - There is too much that we don't know about what really went down, and I don't totally trust the Dowd Report or Dowd himself, but we do know, for a fact, that Rose bet on the Reds while he was a player and a coach. What we also know is that MLB has something on him that scared the heck out of him, because he accepted the punishment so long as MLB didn't formally publish their findings about his gambling.

Rose undermined the legitimacy of the entire sport. Why would he be in the HoF for that sport?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Not to me - There is too much that we don't know about what really went down, and I don't totally trust the Dowd Report or Dowd himself, but we do know, for a fact, that Rose bet on the Reds while he was a player and a coach. What we also know is that MLB has something on him that scared the heck out of him, because he accepted the punishment so long as MLB didn't formally publish their findings about his gambling.

Rose undermined the legitimacy of the entire sport. Why would he be in the HoF for that sport?
And MLB isn't undermining the legitimacy of the sport by recognizing players who achieved historical milestones via steroids? I'm okay with them keeping Rose out of the HOF with the "undermining the integrity of the game" reason. But to not also put that same label on players who put substances in their bodies (that were banned) that assisted in them breaking holy grail milestones of the game is hypocritical. Gambling on the sport didn't assist Rose in getting hits on the field. He earned those legitimately. What certain players put in their bodies directly contributed to their success on the field and the gross padding of their stats.

Last edited:

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
And MLB isn't undermining the legitimacy of the sport by recognizing players who achieved historical milestones via steroids? I'm okay with them keeping Rose out of the HOF with the "undermining the integrity of the game" reason. But to not also put that same label on players who put substances in their bodies (that were banned) that assisted in them breaking holy grail milestones of the game is hypocritical. Gambling on the sport didn't assist Rose in getting hits on the field. He earned those legitimately. What certain players put in their bodies directly contributed to their success on the field and the gross padding of their stats.
Exactly! I will not argue the point that Rose gambled as a manager. But he wouldn't really be considered as HOF as a manger. But as a player, he was one of the best I ever watched. He committed a cardinal sin, with that I agree. But to say you have a HOF which recognizes the best players while also ignoring one of the very best is laughable to me. I am sorry, but I like Rose, and think his playing days deserve HOF recognition, and not after he dies either.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Let's be honest - every sport has this. Only MLB pretends to care. MLB should just stop pretending to care.

Performance enhancing drugs have been a part of life and sports for generations. Kids use them to study for exams, players use them for a whole bunch of reasons, and the average Joe uses them to improve work performance, focus, sex life and/or many their aspects of their lives.

People who complain about athletes who use PEDs are simply disconnected, IMO.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Exactly! I will not argue the point that Rose gambled as a manager. But he wouldn't really be considered as HOF as a manger. But as a player, he was one of the best I ever watched. He committed a cardinal sin, with that I agree. But to say you have a HOF which recognizes the best players while also ignoring one of the very best is laughable to me. I am sorry, but I like Rose, and think his playing days deserve HOF recognition, and not after he dies either.
He played while a manager - he did this while playing.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Let's be honest - every sport has this. Only MLB pretends to care. MLB should just stop pretending to care.

Performance enhancing drugs have been a part of life and sports for generations. Kids use them to study for exams, players use them for a whole bunch of reasons, and the average Joe uses them to improve work performance, focus, sex life and/or many their aspects of their lives.

People who complain about athletes who use PEDs are simply disconnected, IMO.
PED's are not all created equal. "PED" is a generic term used. But all substances that fall into this broad term are nowhere near equal. The type PED Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, Palmeiro etc were using changed their body chemistry in such a way that it gave them much more than simply a "boost of energy". It added years to their prime in a time of their career (especially McGwires and Clemens) where their bodies were starting to breakdown and absent these drugs, would have retired years earlier. They probably would have still made the HOF. But they wouldn't have climbed the statistical milestone charts the way they did, passing players who did it without this help. Could you imagine adding another five to six years to Hank Aaron's prime?

Also, some of the "stuff" MLB and other sports classify as "PED's" are stupid and an enormous overreach. About like pot being illegal while we legalize alcohol.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
PED's are not all created equal. "PED" is a generic term used. But all substances that fall into this broad term are nowhere near equal. The type PED Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, Palmeiro etc were using changed their body chemistry in such a way that it gave them much more than simply a "boost of energy". It added years to their prime in a time of their career (especially McGwires and Clemens) where their bodies were starting to breakdown and absent these drugs, would have retired years earlier. They probably would have still made the HOF. But they wouldn't have climbed the statistical milestone charts the way they did, passing players who did it without this help. Could you imagine adding another five to six years to Hank Aaron's prime?

Also, some of the "stuff" MLB and other sports classify as "PED's" are stupid and an enormous overreach. About like pot being illegal while we legalize alcohol.
It is their body. Why are we legislating what a person can consume to improve their performance at work?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
It is their body. Why are we legislating what a person can consume to improve their performance at work?
That's a question you have to ask MLB and other sports. That's another discussion. Until they decide otherwise, the rules stating anabolic steroids and other PED's being illegal applies and offenders should be dealt with in the same manner as Rose was regarding the hall of fame. Now if MLB and other sports want to decide otherwise, then fine. I may not agree with it, but that's my problem.

But I do see your point. How "natural" do we want to get?

To finish a thought- The reason I have such a "beef" with anabolic steroid users and their numbers being included among the greats is because it is already hard to compare players from different era's anyway. Players today have better equipment, more information about nutrition and more information about training. They also have more resources at their disposal. Which there's nothing wrong with that. However, the more we allow the harder it is to really compare players of different eras and it can put so much difference between them. You almost have to start considering making "lists" and statistical rankings for specific periods and keeping them separate from other eras. Because it has really become almost impossible to compare. Okay. I'm off my soap box. LOL!

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.