News Article: Julio miffed...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Wait. I have never seen that definitively proven.
You have never seen anything proven, because part of his deal was to keep the proof hidden from the public. But the allegations were that he was betting in 1984, and he was a player/manager through the 1986 season. Now, you can choose to believe that he didn't start betting until 1987 if you wish. No one in the state of Ohio believes that, but you can believe whatever you wish.

In Ohio it is pretty well accepted that he was betting on baseball throughout his career, and that it really ramped up when he returned to the Reds in 1984.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Let's be honest - every sport has this. Only MLB pretends to care. MLB should just stop pretending to care.

Performance enhancing drugs have been a part of life and sports for generations. Kids use them to study for exams, players use them for a whole bunch of reasons, and the average Joe uses them to improve work performance, focus, sex life and/or many their aspects of their lives.

People who complain about athletes who use PEDs are simply disconnected, IMO.
I tend to agree with this. However, using illegal PED’s means players are getting them from unreliable sources. It will be interesting to see how they are used once legalized and Dr’s and scientists can monitor how the PED’s are benefitting or harming the patient. Patient is the key word here.

ETA: Not all drugs have the same effect in all humans. Drugs that are beneficial for some folks would kill others. Penicillin comes to mind.

Last edited:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I will put this another way. Let's talk about the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. I don't think any person with a brain would ever argue against the Beatles being in there. As solo artists, John Lennon and Paul McCartney both did enough, in my eyes, to warrant solo inclusion into the Hall as well. But recently, Ringo Starr went in as a solo performer as well. Now, I am not at all discounting his quality as a drummer for the Beatles or in general. However, when I look at his solo career, I do not find anything at all that I would say is Hall Of Fame worthy. I guess he was put in there that way just because he was a member of the Beatles and the others had already gotten in. I think it cheapened the Hall to do that, but I didn't get to choose. Of course, this is the same Hall Of Fame that didn't let KISS in until just a few years ago.
The Doobie Brothers are NOT in the R&R HoF. Blondie, Alice Cooper, and the Cars are.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Falcons will figure it out. They surely will not let their window be risked by not keeping Julio happy.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not with 3 years left. This is unprecedented.
Well, not really. They'd be delighted if he'd play out his three years, ranked as the 4th best player in the NFL and the 7th best compensated receiver. I'm not sure how anyone can fault Julio's wanting a renegotiation. He's 28, after all...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He's in some of his last peak years in all likelihood. By the time his 3 years left are up, he'll very likely not get as much value as he can now.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I can see things on both sides of the spectrum. First, Julio did sign that contract what? 3 years ago? If he didn't like the pay, then why sign the extension in the first place? We all know that when a certain position player signs the "biggest" contract that within 3 years more than likely some other player at the same position will overtake your pay. It's just the way it is. I'm not a fan of someone signing and halfway through they are crying over a new contract because they are not the highest paid anymore.

Now on the other hand I can definitely see why Julio wants more money. Football takes a toll even on the best in the game and he should get them for all he can. I would say the Falcons hold the power because if Julio doesn't play, he doesn't make money not to mention the fines get bigger as they go along. But I hope he gets what he wants and stays happy because you can only pull this one time in your career and after that you're considered a problem.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I can see things on both sides of the spectrum. First, Julio did sign that contract what? 3 years ago? If he didn't like the pay, then why sign the extension in the first place? We all know that when a certain position player signs the "biggest" contract that within 3 years more than likely some other player at the same position will overtake your pay. It's just the way it is. I'm not a fan of someone signing and halfway through they are crying over a new contract because they are not the highest paid anymore.

Now on the other hand I can definitely see why Julio wants more money. Football takes a toll even on the best in the game and he should get them for all he can. I would say the Falcons hold the power because if Julio doesn't play, he doesn't make money not to mention the fines get bigger as they go along. But I hope he gets what he wants and stays happy because you can only pull this one time in your career and after that you're considered a problem.
He signed too long of an extension. That is all on him and his agent.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

He ain't gonna play forever and you can't navigate a single day of your live free of capital in this world so you might as well entrench yourself with as much of it as you can while you can.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.