News Article: Julio miffed...

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
He signed too long of an extension. That is all on him and his agent.
Exactly. As much as I HATE lebron, signing the short term contracts back in Cleveland was the smart way to go. Julio should have gotten a shorter, guranteed contract and then he could be hitting the open market.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Exactly. As much as I HATE lebron, signing the short term contracts back in Cleveland was the smart way to go. Julio should have gotten a shorter, guranteed contract and then he could be hitting the open market.
Agreed. Sign a shorter term contract with more guarantees. That's why he pays his agent what he does, to get the best situation/outcome for him. Unfortunately the deal his agent got him is now problematic.

However, what's made his deal problematic are teams like Cleveland willing to grossly overpay for lessor a wr like Jarvis Landry which took place years after Julio signed his deal. As an agent you can't predict that. Teams willing to do this throw the market out of balance and make contracts like Julio originally signed looked "bad". When in reality, it wasn't really that bad.

Last edited:

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Agreed. Sign a shorter term contract with more guarantees. That's why he pays his agent what he does, to get the best situation/outcome for him. Unfortunately the deal his agent got him is now problematic.

However, what's made his deal problematic are teams like Cleveland willing to grossly overpay for lessor a wr like Jarvis Landry which took place years after Julio signed his deal. As an agent you can't predict that. Teams willing to do this throw the market out of balance and make contracts like Julio originally signed looked "bad". When in reality, it wasn't really that bad.
True enough, but there is that one team, at least, every year that throws too much money at (fill in position) and upsets the apple cart.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Julio signed a five-year, $71.25 million extension in August of 2015 that included $47 million guaranteed, and has three years and $34.426 million left on his contract.

He is due to make $10.5 million this year.

Sorry, but I don't have a lot of sympathy for him.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Julio signed a five-year, $71.25 million extension in August of 2015 that included $47 million guaranteed, and has three years and $34.426 million left on his contract.

To be fair, I don't think he's asking for anyone's sympathy.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Julio obviously believes his value three years from now will not be what it is today. This could be for health reasons or just an age thing and his on field performance declining. He is trying to capitalize while his stock is high as it may ever be. If he was confident he would not drop off in on field performance he would not be pushing this as hard as he is. Considering his past record with injuries its not a unreasonable gamble to see if ATL would renegotiate or release him to sign with someone else.

Personally, I dont like this look on him. But it may be his last best opportunity to strike while the iron is hot. If he declines significantly he could see a small deal in 3 years or even be out of the league.

This is no different from coaches doing the same thing with years still left on their current contracts. They are always looking to get bigger and longer contracts before theirs comes to an end.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
i think you probably understood what i was trying to say, but i'll be more clear.

honor your agreement and finish out your deal.

and if that's not good enough, then retire.
It is none of our business. None.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

Matt Ryan will make 30 million this year. Is he that much better than Julio. Comparing apples to apples Antonia Brown will make 17 Million this year is he that much more of a better receiver than Julio? NBA guys even the backups make more than Julio with not near the same level of danger. Not sure why some feel sorry for management when we fans came to see the players. Julio is one of the best 3 players in the league regardless of position. In the NFL more than any other sport you have to get your money while you can. If he has a catastrophic injury this year he will wish he had sat out and got more guaranteed money. He has no security, all the guaranteed portion of his contract is gone. They can cut him tomorrow and not owe him a dime. Goes both ways if they can cut you at will you should be able to ask for more security at will. I hope Julio and more players start demanding guaranteed money than I will be with the owners saying honor your contract. The NFL has done a good job of convincing most of the public that all the loyalty is owed to the owners. If parents are smart with truly elite level talented kids, push them to baseball, basketball, soccer or even golf anything is better than the system in place in the NFL. Julio is a generational player. The NFL is never afraid to cut players they see as over paid, even if it happened due to injury while playing for them, so the general rule is get what you can while you can.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
it is the world that most of us live.

i have a contract with my company...i either abide by the terms or i walk.
Everyone has the right to negotiate which is what he's doing. It's really not a problem unless he doesn't show up to practice and then ultimately games. So far this is just been a negotiation tactic. Big difference between skipping voluntary workouts in June/July and actually missing practices and games in September..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
it is the world that most of us live.

i have a contract with my company...i either abide by the terms or i walk.
Sorry, but you are ignoring a ton of relevant facts. The CBA is set up to make this happen. The is not Julio acting like a punk. This is the way that this system is designed to work. If you don't like it, don't play in the NFL. But you are comparing apples to orangutans.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Matt Ryan will make 30 million this year. Is he that much better than Julio. Comparing apples to apples Antonia Brown will make 17 Million this year is he that much more of a better receiver than Julio? NBA guys even the backups make more than Julio with not near the same level of danger. Not sure why some feel sorry for management when we fans came to see the players. Julio is one of the best 3 players in the league regardless of position. In the NFL more than any other sport you have to get your money while you can. If he has a catastrophic injury this year he will wish he had sat out and got more guaranteed money. He has no security, all the guaranteed portion of his contract is gone. They can cut him tomorrow and not owe him a dime. Goes both ways if they can cut you at will you should be able to ask for more security at will. I hope Julio and more players start demanding guaranteed money than I will be with the owners saying honor your contract. The NFL has done a good job of convincing most of the public that all the loyalty is owed to the owners. If parents are smart with truly elite level talented kids, push them to baseball, basketball, soccer or even golf anything is better than the system in place in the NFL. Julio is a generational player. The NFL is never afraid to cut players they see as over paid, even if it happened due to injury while playing for them, so the general rule is get what you can while you can.
There's a lot wrong in this paragraph but none more so than the bold. I love Julio but he's not a top 3 player in the league because of the position he plays. QBs and pass rushers have the biggest impact on the game. Not WRs..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I love when we have NFL threads and people who don't watch the NFL or have any idea how the league operates comment like they're experts. I can always open a NFL thread and get my comedy relief for the day..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.