News Article: Julio miffed...

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
I don’t think there is anything in his contract that says he has to play. So I don’t know if he is actually breaking his contract or not.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
There's a lot wrong in this paragraph but none more so than the bold. I love Julio but he's not a top 3 player in the league because of the position he plays. QBs and pass rushers have the biggest impact on the game. Not WRs..
We will have to agree to disagree on this. A great WR is worth his weight in gold. Double teams which Julio garners makes any QB look better. Furthermore even when doubled as he is on almost every play he still gets open. I would put Aaron Rodgers and Aaron Donald ahead of Julio anyone else can be debated. I am certainly not one of those guys who does not watch the NFL. I am a sports junky I even watch the Thursday night so called junk games and even all pre-season games to get a glimpse at the guys on the bottom of the roster. I consume every sport outside of soccer. There are more opinions about football and basketball than there are stars in the sky. If I am drafting my first pick is Aaron Rodger, Aaron Donald than Julio. My next pick is Cam Robinson at left tackle if you watch football you know no one improved more than he did from year one to year two on the offensive line. He is going to be an absolute monster this year.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
We will have to agree to disagree on this. A great WR is worth his weight in gold. Double teams which Julio garners makes any QB look better. Furthermore even when doubled as he is on almost every play he still gets open. I would put Aaron Rodgers and Aaron Donald ahead of Julio anyone else can be debated. I am certainly not one of those guys who does not watch the NFL. I am a sports junky I even watch the Thursday night so called junk games and even all pre-season games to get a glimpse at the guys on the bottom of the roster. I consume every sport outside of soccer. There are more opinions about football and basketball than there are stars in the sky. If I am drafting my first pick is Aaron Rodger, Aaron Donald than Julio. My next pick is Cam Robinson at left tackle if you watch football you know no one improved more than he did from year one to year two on the offensive line. He is going to be an absolute monster this year.
What CrimsonForce is saying is that the way NFL values players is partially based on position. And historically you don't need an elite WR to win a Super Bowl. So, it doesn't matter if Julio is top 5 or whatever player in the league because thats not how they pay players. They aren't going to pay Julio as much as a QB simply because Julio is a WR not a QB. Now, it DOES matter that he is a top 2 WR.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
you cant compare a salary at a different position because some positions are worth a lot more than others. as far as WR's go, he's not on the same level of Brown so i dont think even he expects that much. but i think he has an issue making less than a few guys ahead of him like Brandon Cooks and Jarvis Landry.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The saga continues. Julio will not report to camp and will not report until he gets a new contract. Just heard this about 10 minutes ago on the radio.
I also believe the Falcons are "dug in" on not giving him a new contract. So we'll see who blinks first. What's really going to be bad for Julio is if Ridley catches on real fast and gives them enough confidence that they can move forward without Julio.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I also believe the Falcons are "dug in" on not giving him a new contract. So we'll see who blinks first. What's really going to be bad for Julio is if Ridley catches on real fast and gives them enough confidence that they can move forward without Julio.
That is what I think will happen. Ridley has been tearing it up in minicamp and OTA’s. They could end up just trading him and cut their losses.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
That is what I think will happen. Ridley has been tearing it up in minicamp and OTA’s. They could end up just trading him and cut their losses.
I've got a HS friend who lives in Atlanta and is a HUGE Falcons fan. He follows them about like we do Alabama football. He said if Ridley showed any promise at all they would unload Julio, try to get a King's ransom for him and move on.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I've got a HS friend who lives in Atlanta and is a HUGE Falcons fan. He follows them about like we do Alabama football. He said if Ridley showed any promise at all they would unload Julio, try to get a King's ransom for him and move on.
The problem with this is that the team who trades for him would have to be willing and have the cap space to re-work his deal or else the situation wouldn't be any different. These are the only teams with cap space right now according to sportrac.com. Teams could still cut players or re-work deals of other players to make room but not an ideal situation to bring in a $10.5 million cap hit this close to the season..

Cleveland Browns $47,248,771
Indianapolis Colts $30,662,274
San Francisco 49ers $13,683,371
Tennessee Titans $13,386,048
Houston Texans $9,021,727
Chicago Bears $6,917,403
New York Jets $559,147

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Refusing to do what you agreed to because you wish to renegotiate is not cool. If the report is true about him refusing to report, then I've lost some respect for him.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
The problem with this is that the team who trades for him would have to be willing and have the cap space to re-work his deal or else the situation wouldn't be any different. These are the only teams with cap space right now according to sportrac.com. Teams could still cut players or re-work deals of other players to make room but not an ideal situation to bring in a $10.5 million cap hit this close to the season..

Chicago Bears $6,917,403
New York Jets $559,147
Fans would be a lot more sympathetic with him had he caught that ball that went between his hands in the end zone in the playoffs last season. Difficult for most of us to understand missing camp in an attempt to stack millions more on an already full truck load of money!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I get it. "It's relative to the profession he's in and the market within his profession." But at some point you have to step back and let it sink in that it wasn't that long ago that you were a broke college kid whose family more than likely struggled just to make it. To since then has pocketed $85,000,0000 with three years left on a $71 million dollar contract that if you play it out will also pay you $10.5 million in 2018, $12.5 million in 2019 and $11.4 million in 2020 for a grand total earnings (at the ripe "old age" of 29/30 years old) of $119,000,000. This isn't counting revenue from other sources (shoe contracts and other revenue generating sources).

It's very, very tough for the "common man" to look at this situation and get behind Julio. I love the guy, but what he and his agent are asking for simply doesn't make since to the average Joe and also doesn't fall inline with what NFL teams normally do with players who have this many years left on a contract.

From the article:
Jones signed a five-year, $71 million contract in 2015 that included a $12 million signing bonus and $47 million guaranteed. His base salary this season is $10.5 million.
Also note that in his rookie contract he received $10 million signing bonus and $16 million guaranteed $$$

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24181854/atlanta-falcons-wr-julio-jones-report-camp-wants-contract-re-worked

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Chicago Bears $6,917,403
New York Jets $559,147
I might do it if I were the 49ers...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I get it. "It's relative to the profession he's in and the market within his profession." But at some point you have to step back and let it sink in that it wasn't that long ago that you were a broke college kid whose family more than likely struggled just to make it. To since then has pocketed $85,000,0000 with three years left on a $71 million dollar contract that if you play it out will also pay you $10.5 million in 2018, $12.5 million in 2019 and $11.4 million in 2020 for a grand total earnings (at the ripe "old age" of 29/30 years old) of $119,000,000. This isn't counting revenue from other sources (shoe contracts and other revenue generating sources).

It's very, very tough for the "common man" to look at this situation and get behind Julio. I love the guy, but what he and his agent are asking for simply doesn't make since to the average Joe and also doesn't fall inline with what NFL teams normally do with players who have this many years left on a contract.

From the article:

Also note that in his rookie contract he received $10 million signing bonus and $16 million guaranteed $$$

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...io-jones-report-camp-wants-contract-re-worked
I pretty much agree with what you're saying but from I can tell he's been paid roughly $63M over 7 seasons not $85M.

Also, the principle when compared to the "common man" is the same. Say you were the top accountant in the industry and agreed to be paid $200K salary. Then, you find out another accountant, who is not nearly as good as you, was hired for $300K. You might go to your employer and ask for more compensation to bring you in line with market value. Now, the "common man" wouldn't stop coming to work but the NFL and all professional sports are different work environments than the typical office job. I think Julio should show up and honor his contract but I could also see why he's peeved that Jarvis Landy signed a contract paying him $15 per year and Julio's deal is paying him $10.5M. I can see both sides of the situation. I really only have a problem if Julio sits out an actual game. Up until then this is just hard line negotiating..

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I pretty much agree with what you're saying but from I can tell he's been paid roughly $63M over 7 seasons not $85M.

Also, the principle when compared to the "common man" is the same. Say you were the top accountant in the industry and agreed to be paid $200K salary. Then, you find out another accountant, who is not nearly as good as you, was hired for $300K. You might go to your employer and ask for more compensation to bring you in line with market value. Now, the "common man" wouldn't stop coming to work but the NFL and all professional sports are different work environments than the typical office job. I think Julio should show up and honor his contract but I could also see why he's peeved that Jarvis Landy signed a contract paying him $15 per year and Julio's deal is paying him $10.5M. I can see both sides of the situation. I really only have a problem if Julio sits out an actual game. Up until then this is just hard line negotiating..
He's become a filthy rich man no matter what you compare it to. $63 million/$85 million is still $63/$85 million dollars and that isn't even considering the millions he's made on merchandise deals and other non-football streams of revenue. The value of those dollars do not become less because another WR is making more. I understand Julio's line of thinking. But his line of thinking is being done in a vacuum. If we want to talk about "industry standards" or "common practices". Then anyone can easily point to the fact that it is not common for NFL teams to re-do contracts with this many years left on it and there are very sound business reasons behind that practice. Is Julio more valuable than Landry? Yep. But this is more of a case of what Landry's agent got for Landry due to dealing with a team who has historically made atrocious football moves across the board. Than a case of the Falcons "doing Julio wrong".

Using your accountant example I can tell you exactly what would happen because it's been a real life one for me over the course of my accounting career. If I were to walk into by boss' office and express my thoughts on my pay he would then turn to me and say- "We will revisit this when we do yearly performance reviews." Because that is the time when employers (or the one's I've worked for) have designated as the time to discuss merit raises and employee terms/contracts. Not halfway through the year. The same goes with Julio. His employer has appointed a time in which they are willing to discuss new contracts and basically by Julio signing his contract he also agreed to those terms. Now the employer has at their discretion to opt to begin these talks a year early. But that is the employer's option and isn't something they are contractually obligated to do.

Last edited:

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I understand the millionaire griping over how much he is getting paid, but this is the NFL where his shelf life is closer to the end than the beginning. If he get seriously hurt, he would be cut by the Falcons in a second. NFL teams would not be required to pay him after the injury and most of his guaranteed money was frontloaded in the contract. Most of his money now is incentive based. He is probably the best in the game right now, and has best ever potential based on his numbers. While Ryan, the Falcons overrated QB is making over 30 mill a year and Julio makes less than half that number. I used to be on the side of then owners, but the contracts in the NFL are so one sided, it isn't even close to fair. I suspect the Falcons will place a franchise tag on him the next 2 years and he will be stuck.

Julio and his agent made a mistake when they signed the 5 years 2 years ago, but plenty of teams have renegotiated contracts over the years. I think Julio is justified in looking to be paid fairly, but he may be going about it the wrong way. He probably should have waited until the end of this year.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I understand the millionaire griping over how much he is getting paid, but this is the NFL where his shelf life is closer to the end than the beginning. If he get seriously hurt, he would be cut by the Falcons in a second. NFL teams would not be required to pay him after the injury and most of his guaranteed money was frontloaded in the contract. Most of his money now is incentive based. He is probably the best in the game right now, and has best ever potential based on his numbers. While Ryan, the Falcons overrated QB is making over 30 mill a year and Julio makes less than half that number. I used to be on the side of then owners, but the contracts in the NFL are so one sided, it isn't even close to fair. I suspect the Falcons will place a franchise tag on him the next 2 years and he will be stuck.

Julio and his agent made a mistake when they signed the 5 years 2 years ago, but plenty of teams have renegotiated contracts over the years. I think Julio is justified in looking to be paid fairly, but he may be going about it the wrong way. He probably should have waited until the end of this year.
Bingo! End of conversation.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.