News Article: Julio miffed...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well, to be clear, holding out in June is completely different than holding out in August. I have no problem with a player sitting out OTAs, voluntary workouts, summer training camp etc. to try and pressure the team to restructure the contract. But, if it comes down to it, and Julio (or any other player) were to sit out regular season games because they were unhappy with their contract, there's no question that the player would be in the wrong at that point. This whole thread is kind of jumping the gun because for all we know Julio could show up in August and be a full participant. Even if he was at practice now he wouldn't be doing much..
It starts to cost the player huge $$$ if/when they start to miss any games, including preseason games. They can be fined 1/17th of their salary for each game missed. I fully expect Julio to be on the field for every game, including those.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
It starts to cost the player huge $$$ if/when they start to miss any games, including preseason games. They can be fined 1/17th of their salary for each game missed. I fully expect Julio to be on the field for every game, including those.
The biggest loser in this is probably Calvin Ridley because it would be invaluable to learn from Julio during this time. It's good that Calvin's getting more reps but I bet he could learn a lot from just being around Julio. Like you, I fully expect Julio to suit up when it matters..

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Well, to be clear, holding out in June is completely different than holding out in August. I have no problem with a player sitting out OTAs, voluntary workouts, summer training camp etc. to try and pressure the team to restructure the contract. But, if it comes down to it, and Julio (or any other player) were to sit out regular season games because they were unhappy with their contract, there's no question that the player would be in the wrong at that point. This whole thread is kind of jumping the gun because for all we know Julio could show up in August and be a full participant. Even if he was at practice now he wouldn't be doing much..
Why would they be wrong. Their services are all they have to offer or with hold. Teams cut players all the time to get out of over priced contracts. This is the only way players can get out of under priced contracts. If Julio has the money to sit out he has that right. They have his contract they don't own him. The contract prevents him from signing with another team not sitting out for what ever reason. They can and will not pay him for the training and games he missed but that is it according to the contract.

Never going to get me to go against Julio unless he does something off the field. So far he has represented the University perfectly. Get your money Julio!!!!

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I love Julio... but I think folks should honor their contracts.
That’s just it...the contracts are written so the owners don’t have to honor them. Save for guaranteed money they can cut the the player at anytime and owe them nothing. That’s why this happens a why so many players are demanding guaranteed money. Julio absolutely has a point. Atlanta should just pay him and lock up his services.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Seriously doubt it. You had to really be following the Kirk Cousins saga close to understand why he was able to negotiate that deal. He "bet" on himself twice by not signing guaranteed deals and thus being placed with the franchise tag twice. I think he was the only, or one of a few, that ever happened to. Thus, after he'd be franchise tagged multiple times he was free to finally negotiate his own deal. The reason this won't be duplicated is that it's very risky to bet on yourself for multiple years in the NFL. Ask Teddy Bridgewater or any other player whose suffered a significant injury.

Also, in response to your second point about NFL contracts being one side compared to the NBA - it's all about barriers to entry. The average NBA player height is 6'8. The average height in the US is 5'11. So, not only does someone have to be significantly taller than the average person to play in the NBA they also have to be an elite athlete. Basically, a supply and demand situation. The NBA prospects / players are so few compared to the NFL so they can negotiate better collective bargaining agreements. Of course team size also gets taken into the equation IRT how the money gets split up. Only 12 or so on an NBA roster and 53 man NFL roster..
He got nearly 60 million in those 2 years. That’s generational wealth. A lot easier to take that risk.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
That’s just it...the contracts are written so the owners don’t have to honor them. Save for guaranteed money they can cut the the player at anytime and owe them nothing. That’s why this happens a why so many players are demanding guaranteed money. Julio absolutely has a point. Atlanta should just pay him and lock up his services.
He shouldn't have signed the contract without every year being guaranteed.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
he should do whatever he wants and make as much as he possibly can and use whatever leverage he has to get what he wants from a multi million dollar (nonprofit) organization.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I saw on NFL Access last night that Julio was working out/"hanging out" with Terrell Owens. The panel of former players were discussing was Terrell Owens the best person to be in Julio's ear at this moment.

Within the market in which other players are being paid generational money, I get it. Julio wants his and I don't blame him. However, I'm not shedding a tear over people (including owners/commissioners etc.) who squabble over an additional $10,000,000 per year when they are already making the type of money that entire families don't make for an entire generation, possibly multiple generations.

I maybe reading the attached chart wrong, but Julio has been or will have been paid over $42,000,000.00 in guaranteed money (including signing bonuses) by the time his current contract ends. This is including his rookie contract plus the contract he's currently under. Again, I'm not faulting him for wanting more. Just not really getting upset over his situation.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/julio-jones-7721/

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
TO is boycotting his HOF induction. Not who I’d want as Jones’ mentor.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I saw on NFL Access last night that Julio was working out/"hanging out" with Terrell Owens. The panel of former players were discussing was Terrell Owens the best person to be in Julio's ear at this moment.
Absolutely not.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
TO probably isn't the best mentor in some ways for Julio. But, I have no problem with what he is doing when it comes to the HOF. And he is one of the best WRs of all time and can apparently run a 4.43 at age 44. It makes a ton of sense that Julio would work out with him.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
TO probably isn't the best mentor in some ways for Julio. But, I have no problem with what he is doing when it comes to the HOF. And he is one of the best WRs of all time and can apparently run a 4.43 at age 44. It makes a ton of sense that Julio would work out with him.
Why do you feel that way about the HOF?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Why do you feel that way about the HOF?

He wants to spend the day the way he wants to spend it. I'm fine with that. And, frankly the HOF is a sham in a lot of ways. TO should have been a first ballot and everyone knows it, the fact he wasn't is ridiculous IMO.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
He wants to spend the day the way he wants to spend it. I'm fine with that. And, frankly the HOF is a sham in a lot of ways. TO should have been a first ballot and everyone knows it, the fact he wasn't is ridiculous IMO.
It is still an honor. Other people haven’t been first ballot that should have been. It makes him look like a total jerk.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
It is still an honor. Other people haven’t been first ballot that should have been. It makes him look like a total jerk.

Not going to get into it because it feels slightly political but I don't have an issue with it at all.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
A lot of people questioned why the Falcon took a receiver in round 1 when they had bigger needs. I think they may have seen the Julio issue coming and Ridley gives them some insurance and bargaining power. I think Julio will be a Falcon this year but the Falcons will give some as well.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Julio is a grown man and as we all know, he can "hang out" and work out with anyone he chooses. But unfortunately the people we surround ourself with can many times directly impact areas of our life. Whether we agree or disagree that something like that should matter or not is irrelevant. It's a reality. That's how real life works. If this contract dispute gets handled and handled relatively quick without any public mess. This "hanging out with TO" will quickly be a forgotten thought. But if this drags out and does so in a public manner in which Julio begins to say or do things that are publicly viewed as "That's how TO would handle it". This could become a PR nightmare for Julio, who has done a bang up job at building his brand, marketing himself in a very positive and productive way. I'd hate for all the hard work he's done on that front to be wiped away quicker than it took for him to build it.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.