News Article: Julio miffed...

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Mike Florio said this morning that Matt Ryan getting $30 million a year might be bothering Julio, but doesn't he make what Antonio Brown makes as the highest paid receiver out there? I think you are going to have a hard time convincing people that a receiver needs to approach qb pay?

Never mind, the article says he is the seventh highest paid receiver, and he could certainly claim that he is as good as there is.

Rtr

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Julio should not be the 7th highest paid receiver in the game. At least not right now.

But he's pushing 30, and if we're being realistic his time as the premier receiver is most likely going to come to a close sooner rather than later...

"A king has his reign, and then he dies. It's inevitable. That is natural order of things."

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Julio should not be the 7th highest paid receiver in the game. At least not right now.

But he's pushing 30, and if we're being realistic his time as the premier receiver is most likely going to come to a close sooner rather than later...

"A king has his reign, and then he dies. It's inevitable. That is natural order of things."
I disagree. If you look at the Top 5 All-Time NFL WR's they had phenominal careers that lasted 14+ years before they showed a steady decline.

Julio is just at the halfway point and hitting his prime. Considering his Freak Physique he probably has another 7-9 years of dominating left in him. 5-6 Years at worst. He's arguably the #1 WR in the League and should get money for the type of numbers he will put up in the next 5-6 and/or 7-9 years.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Julio is just at the halfway point and hitting his prime. Considering his Freak Physique he probably has another 7-9 years of dominating left in him. 5-6 Years at worst. He's arguably the #1 WR in the League and should get money for the type of numbers he will put up in the next 5-6 and/or 7-9 years.
Possibly. He's battled a lot of injuries throughout his career. Yes, he will be a weapon for a few more years - might even be the best in the game - but you cannot act like NFL GM's aren't looking at his age.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Atlanta sports talk guys seem to be the most PO’d about Julio. Years ago I use to think players should shut up and honor the contract they signed, but it really doesn’t work like that. Julio at 29 now, and 32 when his contract is up, will not get another big contract. But the biggest thing is they should get as much as they possibly can , while they can. This game is killing them. Maybe not today, but it is taking time off their lives. It is taking quality out of their later years. I bet the life expectancy of an NFL Player is far less than the public at large. I can’t begrudge anyone for doing all they can to get all they can while they can and by any legal means available to them.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Atlanta sports talk guys seem to be the most PO’d about Julio. Years ago I use to think players should shut up and honor the contract they signed, but it really doesn’t work like that. Julio at 29 now, and 32 when his contract is up, will not get another big contract. But the biggest thing is they should get as much as they possibly can , while they can. This game is killing them. Maybe not today, but it is taking time off their lives. It is taking quality out of their later years. I bet the life expectancy of an NFL Player is far less than the public at large. I can’t begrudge anyone for doing all they can to get all they can while they can and by any legal means available to them.
you must listen to 92.9 the game. they seem the most upset.

I am upset too, but only because he is missing valuable practice time. The last time Julio did not have a contract he still showed up to practice. This holdout just seems out of character for Julio.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Julio aside, nobody is making them play this game, and if he can't live the rest of his life on the money he's collected so far, that's on him.

I'm not a fan of holding out with three years left on his deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I disagree. If you look at the Top 5 All-Time NFL WR's they had phenominal careers that lasted 14+ years before they showed a steady decline.

But this is also a different era of football. Players are more aware of their post-NFL career. I'm not saying Julio is ready to walk away (ala Calvin Johnson), I'm saying it's not a lock that Julio plays as long as some of the greats.

I understand why Julio is upset, but he did sign the contract and imo he should honor, just like every other player who has consider sitting out, the contract they signed.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
For those focused on a player "honoring their contract", remember that the NFL owners do not care about the players - not one bit. They fought for decades to keep brain injuries from being researched, knowing that they were killing players. Contracts are designed to pay only during the first few years so they can discard a player at no cost if they are injured or if their performance slips. Players are generally addicted to pain killers when they leave the NFL because they are encouraged to play injured, and often lose their job if they are not willing to do so.

If any other workplace treated employees like the NFL treats employees, they would be sued out of business. NFL contracts are totally one sided. overthecap.com estimates that less than 20% of all NFL multi-year contracts make it through to conclusion, mostly because owners walk away from the contracts when it is to their advantage. But players are not supposed to try to renegotiate? Players are not "honoring" their contracts? The players union in the NFL is a joke. The players have no idea how weak their union really is.

Kirk Cousins may have just changed expectations of high value players. He just signed a 3 year contract worth $84MM, and it is fully guaranteed. Players like Julio Jones have taken note and want similar contracts. There is even talk among players of a willingness to take less per year if their entire contract were fully guaranteed. Frankly, I am not sure why the NFL won't shift to this model. Forget the risk of injuries - other sports buy insurance to cover their losses if they lose a player to injury during a contract. That insurance would be more expensive in the NFL because players are more than 5 times more likely to suffer a career ending injury, but the costs could be offset by lower player salaries.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I guess it should go both ways. An NFL can release a player at any time for any reason. NFL teams should honor the contract. They signed it, honor it! And no, no one is forcing a player to play. But I would rather see the best, Like Julio go all out rather than a scrub. So I for one am glad they offered to sacrifice their health for our enjoyment. And think they should get all they can while they can!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The thing being missed here is that the Falcons did make Julio the highest paid receiver when he signed his contract that he's playing under now. As the article states, teams like the Browns went out and gave Jarvis Landry a 5 year $75Million contract. The Falcons shouldn't be held to the stupidity of another team. I guess what Julio is after is the same thing Aaron Rodgers is after in his next contract - an escalation clause in the contract which would adjust Julio's salary to make sure he's always in the top 3 WR salary in the NFL. The problem with that is no team will agree to that because, like I already stated, the Falcons don't want to be held to the bad contracts other teams give out. I see both sides off the argument..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
For those focused on a player "honoring their contract", remember that the NFL owners do not care about the players - not one bit. They fought for decades to keep brain injuries from being researched, knowing that they were killing players. Contracts are designed to pay only during the first few years so they can discard a player at no cost if they are injured or if their performance slips. Players are generally addicted to pain killers when they leave the NFL because they are encouraged to play injured, and often lose their job if they are not willing to do so.

If any other workplace treated employees like the NFL treats employees, they would be sued out of business. NFL contracts are totally one sided. overthecap.com estimates that less than 20% of all NFL multi-year contracts make it through to conclusion, mostly because owners walk away from the contracts when it is to their advantage. But players are not supposed to try to renegotiate? Players are not "honoring" their contracts? The players union in the NFL is a joke. The players have no idea how weak their union really is.

Kirk Cousins may have just changed expectations of high value players. He just signed a 3 year contract worth $84MM, and it is fully guaranteed. Players like Julio Jones have taken note and want similar contracts. There is even talk among players of a willingness to take less per year if their entire contract were fully guaranteed. Frankly, I am not sure why the NFL won't shift to this model. Forget the risk of injuries - other sports buy insurance to cover their losses if they lose a player to injury during a contract. That insurance would be more expensive in the NFL because players are more than 5 times more likely to suffer a career ending injury, but the costs could be offset by lower player salaries.
Seriously doubt it. You had to really be following the Kirk Cousins saga close to understand why he was able to negotiate that deal. He "bet" on himself twice by not signing guaranteed deals and thus being placed with the franchise tag twice. I think he was the only, or one of a few, that ever happened to. Thus, after he'd be franchise tagged multiple times he was free to finally negotiate his own deal. The reason this won't be duplicated is that it's very risky to bet on yourself for multiple years in the NFL. Ask Teddy Bridgewater or any other player whose suffered a significant injury.

Also, in response to your second point about NFL contracts being one side compared to the NBA - it's all about barriers to entry. The average NBA player height is 6'8. The average height in the US is 5'11. So, not only does someone have to be significantly taller than the average person to play in the NBA they also have to be an elite athlete. Basically, a supply and demand situation. The NBA prospects / players are so few compared to the NFL so they can negotiate better collective bargaining agreements. Of course team size also gets taken into the equation IRT how the money gets split up. Only 12 or so on an NBA roster and 53 man NFL roster..

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.