Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
they just can't help showing us who they are

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1034808827496017920

You've never used the term "monkeying around"? I'm sorry but this is getting blown out of proportion. I don't think he had any racist intentions and probably wasn't even thinking of the color of his opponent when he did this. Was it the smartest thing to say in the current climate, probably not but, I don't think he was being racist. I've used "monkeying around" or called my kids monkeys before when they are being silly or joking. It has nothing to do with race but. all about how monkey's in zoos can be funny and playful. That's were the term comes from in this context.

Context should matter, the word "monkey" can't automatically equal racism now because it is not a racist word. He wasn't calling Gillum a monkey, he told voters to not "monkey this up", meaning "goof this up". That's not racist, IMO. If he had said "don't elect the monkey", than that would be racism. Context should matter. Taking something out of context, just to label it as racism, doesn't help anybody.

Looking for racism in everything can almost be as bad as racism itself. If both sides can't find a way to work this stuff out than nothing is ever going to get better. Calling people racist when they really weren't being racist is never going to solve anything.

I'm sure many here will disagree with me but, this is how I feel about this one incident and, it has nothing to do with what political party I support.

I was wrong. See my next post.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
You've never used the term "monkeying around"? I'm sorry but this is getting blown out of proportion. I don't think he had any racist intentions and probably wasn't even thinking of the color of his opponent when he did this. Was it the smartest thing to say in the current climate, probably not but, I don't think he was being racist. I've used "monkeying around" or called my kids monkeys before when they are being silly or joking. It has nothing to do with race but. all about how monkey's in zoos can be funny and playful. That's were the term comes from in this context.

Context should matter, the word "monkey" can't automatically equal racism now because it is not a racist word. He wasn't calling Gillum a monkey, he told voters to not "monkey this up", meaning "goof this up". That's not racist, IMO. If he had said "don't elect the monkey", than that would be racism. Context should matter. Taking something out of context, just to label it as racism, doesn't help anybody.

Looking for racism in everything can almost be as bad as racism itself. If both sides can't find a way to work this stuff out than nothing is ever going to get better. Calling people racist when they really weren't being racist is never going to solve anything.

I'm sure many here will disagree with me but, this is how I feel about this one incident and, it has nothing to do with what political party I support.
he didn't use the term monkeying around. he said monkey this up. and it was said in reference to folks not electing a black person.

and i'm pretty glad that dog whistling like this is getting regularly called out and i hope it continues.

here is michael steele on the issue

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
My boss and her wife were visiting the wife's family in Minnesota. After my boss had been speaking with someone for a few minutes, the person commented "I'm always amazed at how articulate you are."

Guess what color my boss is.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
he didn't use the term monkeying around. he said monkey this up. and it was said in reference to folks not electing a black person.

and i'm pretty glad that dog whistling like this is getting regularly called out and i hope it continues.

here is michael steele on the issue

Thanks for posting and I see your point. I had not seen the longer version of DeSantis' comments until now, which may make my previous comments look pre-mature and dumb. With the other things he mention it definitely changes the meaning.

I was wrong.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I have never before heard the phrase “monkey things up”; having been born and raised in Mobile, I had thought that there wasn’t a racial slur (phrase)that I hadn’t heard before.
DoucheSantis has proven otherwise.
And I’m gonna add this: I have utmost respect for our servicemen and women, but having served in the military isn’t an automatic qualifier for political office, nor does it automatically mean you are NOT a disgusting human being.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Oh the outrage!

I have used the phrase "monkey it up" and "monkey that up". I had no racial thoughts when using them and never considered the phrases to be racist. I've even used them at work; I guess I'm lucky I wasn't sent to Human Resources.

Oops, I guess I'll never be a judge.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Oh the outrage!

I have used the phrase "monkey it up" and "monkey that up". I had no racial thoughts when using them and never considered the phrases to be racist. I've even used them at work; I guess I'm lucky I wasn't sent to Human Resources.

Never heard it, so it wouldn't occur to me to use it...

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Oh the outrage!

Probably should have been sent to HR, on general principle.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I had never heard of DeSantis before this week. So I don’t know what he meant by what he said. I have never heard of monkeying things up, but maybe it is a phrase he regularly uses.

But the use of articulate suggests it may have not been an accident. I would like to know more about his background and other comments he has made.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I will just say this about DeSantis. If you saw his ads where he is playing with his infant daughter and telling her about building the wall and reading the bedtime story to his son and says his favorite part is where President Trump says "you are fired" and you think he is not racist, then I will just leave it at that.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
just a misunderstood joke, i'm sure.

Racist robocalls tied to neo-Nazi group target Andrew Gillum

Robocalls against Democratic gubernatorial nominee Andrew Gillum that say they were paid for by a neo-Nazi group in Idaho are going out to voters in Tallahassee.

The automated calls are narrated by someone pretending to be Gillum and using an exaggerated minstrel dialect with jungle noises in the background. The calls end with a disclaimer that they were funded by The Road to Power, an anti-Semitic, white supremacist website and podcast linked to Scott Rhodes of Sandpoint, Idaho.

According to the Des Moines Register, a sister paper of the Tallahassee Democrat, the group has been linked to other robocall campaigns in Charlottesville, Virginia, Oregon and California.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
Surely everyone has heard of a monkey doing a football, I've heard it used in that context before but not sure if he meant it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.