Congrats GOP, this is who you now are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Krugman's latest

So all the “fake news” was true. A hostile foreign power intervened in the presidential election, hoping to install Donald Trump in the White House. The Trump campaign was aware of this intervention and welcomed it. And once in power, Trump tried to block any inquiry into what happened.Never mind attempts to spin this story as somehow not meeting some definitions of collusion or obstruction of justice. The fact is that the occupant of the White House betrayed his country. And the question everyone is asking is, what will Democrats do about it?
But notice that the question is only about Democrats. Everyone (correctly) takes it as a given that Republicans will do nothing. Why?
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/22/opinion/trump-republican-party.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytopinion

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i've been saying this for years.
If the Republican agenda is so unpopular, how does the party win elections? Partly by lying about its policies. But mainly the G.O.P.’s political achievements depend on identity politics — white identity politics. Exploiting racial resentment to capture white working-class voters, while pursuing policies that benefit only the wealthy, has been the core of the party’s political strategy for decades. That’s why, in an increasingly diverse country, Republican support has stayed overwhelmingly white.

In a fundamental sense, Trumpism is the culmination of that strategy. Commentators keep calling Trump a “populist,” but the only way in which he actually caters to working-class white voters is by appealing to their racial animus. He may be successful in doing so partly because it’s the only thing about his political persona that’s sincere: All indications are that he really is a racist.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
i've been saying this for years.
looks like this piece from Krugman touched a nerve

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump...says-it-should-beg-on-its-knees-for-his-mercy

In a set of truly unhinged tweets, the president hit out, writing: “Paul Krugman, of the Fake News New York Times, has lost all credibility, as has the Times itself, with his false and highly inaccurate writings on me. He is obsessed with hatred, just as others are obsessed with how stupid he is ... I wonder if the New York Times will apologize to me a second time, as they did after the 2016 Election. But this one will have to be a far bigger & better apology. On this one they will have to get down on their knees & beg for forgiveness—they are truly the Enemy of the People!” The newspaper never apologized to Trump—the president appears to be misrepresenting a short letter to readers in November 2016 thanking them for loyalty and saying it would “rededicate” itself to journalism after Trump’s unexpected victory.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
here is at least one Republican (that no one has ever heard of) is advocating impeachment

good start I guess https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/04/gop-staffer-advocates-trumps-impeachment/587785/
i'm guessing that the thursday drop of the report for the holiday weekend during a congressional recess didn't work out quite like barr/trump thought it would. impeachment is being talked about quite a lot these last few days.

i'm hoping that there is a slow, steady drip of things like this for the next few weeks.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Not a lawyer, but if you order someone to ignore a Congressional subpoena, isn’t that obstruction of justice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not a lawyer, but if you order someone to ignore a Congressional subpoena, isn’t that obstruction of justice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. So long as Barr is acting under the mantle of authority of office, then his official actions, whether later decided to be wrong or not, can't constitute obstruction...

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Why does the House Oversight and Reform Committee not allow legal council for the people being subpoenaed? This seems like a basic right.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
As if to further prove the point of this thread Vice/Motherboard goes into the trouble Twitter is having creating methods to block White Nationalists as they also end up blocking Republican Politicians and their supporters

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...blican-politicians-too?source=techstories.org

can't make this stuff up people. The GOP is so intertwined with White Supremacists in their messaging that modern algorithms can't parse the differences.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
As if to further prove the point of this thread Vice/Motherboard goes into the trouble Twitter is having creating methods to block White Nationalists as they also end up blocking Republican Politicians and their supporters

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...blican-politicians-too?source=techstories.org

can't make this stuff up people. The GOP is so intertwined with White Supremacists in their messaging that modern algorithms can't parse the differences.
won't someone please consider the civility.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
"White National" .............. "Woke"

You will not find the traditional definitions of these word in a dictionary with the old traditional book bindings at the local library.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.