Congrats GOP, this is who you now are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
They will if they feel they are represented. Just being democrat (or republican) doesn't do it.
We kind of know why they don't vote in many states that fall into the red column, or are leaning that way: Voter suppression efforts. The ridiculous notion that somehow people are voting fraudulently, so they demand ID's, then close the DMWs in places where most of the Democrat votes lie, purge the voter roles when someone doesn't include an apostrophe or a comma in the right place while registering. Don't send enough voting machines to certain high-Dem precincts.

After a while, when the same right-wing nutjobs keep getting elected, a segment of the electorate figures it's no use voting if the deck is continually stacked against you.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i think this can fit in the definition of "hoisted upon one's own petard"

Well, I think we have to truly find out if there is a market and a need for independent, non-Trumpian conservative voices. Of course, after the Weekly Standard went under, the narrative was that this was a sign that there was no market for “Never Trump” conservative thinking and writing, and maybe that’s true.

But we’re going to test that proposition, because we actually do think that there are people on the right who want to hear a different point of view. I’m willing to acknowledge that this is a leap of faith. I’m willing to gamble that there’s an intelligent, literate audience for thoughtful, nontribal conservatism. Maybe I’m wrong, but we’re going to find out one way or the other.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I saw a poll that really tickled me. The dreaded Nancy Pelosi has a better approval level than any elected GOPer, period.

That's really got to be a bitter pill for them to swallow.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I despise Pelosi. I’m glad she has bested Trump and I hope she continues until his whiney little butt scuttles back to Mirror Lake.
Beaten by a woman - repeatedly - would be karma. And at this point, anyone will do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
there is a reason "iokiyar" became a thing.

and it's not just the base, the "both sides" folks bought this hook, line, and sinker and have been almost as complicit

The key to Trump's defense with his base, I would argue, is not that he tries to convince them he's innocent, at least not in the traditional sense of "someone who didn't do the crimes he's suspected of." Instead, the strategy is to suggest that all politicians are corrupt, everyone is complicit and therefore all investigations are just bad-faith power grabs conducted for purely partisan reasons.

That strategy is working with Trump's base because that's exactly the message Republicans have been instilling in their voters for decades.

First, Republicans normalized the idea that all politicians are corrupt by electing a series of deeply corrupt politicians themselves. Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush have all been warm-up acts to Trump. Watergate, the Iran-Contra affair, falsified intelligence to justify the Iraq invasion: Every one of those presidents helped train their voters to defend political corruption if it was conducted for supposedly meritorious ends.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
there is a reason "iokiyar" became a thing.

and it's not just the base, the "both sides" folks bought this hook, line, and sinker and have been almost as complicit
Edwin Edwards proved it worked in Louisiana years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
But both parties are the same and stuff.

NBC: GOP erects anti-Muslim display likening Rep. Omar to a terrorist

Angry arguments broke out in the West Virginia statehouse on Friday after the state Republican Party allegedly set up an anti-Muslim display in the rotunda linking the 9/11 terror attacks to a freshman congresswoman from Minnesota.

One staff member was physically injured during the morning's confrontations, and another official resigned after being accused of making anti-Muslim comments.

The display featured a picture of the World Trade Center in New York City as a fireball exploded from the one of the Twin Towers, set above a picture of Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar, who's a Muslim.

"'Never forget' - you said. . ." read a caption on the first picture. "I am the proof - you have forgotten," read the caption under the picture of Omar, who is wearing a hijab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.