News Article: Players can play up to 4 football games a year and still redshirt per new NCAA rule - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Re: Players can play up to 4 football games a year and still redshirt per new NCAA ru

So now Jalen can stay and play in up to 4 games if Tua gets hurt and still redshirt then transfer at the end of the season and play immediately next year. Problem solved. Boom..

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team LSUgrad2BamaDad's Avatar

Re: Players can play up to 4 football games a year and still redshirt per new NCAA ru

Roster management just got a little tougher.
    "(The Campus Catholic Sudent Center) is going to be our legacy, Terry and I's legacy, that we're going to be as proud of as anything we've ever accomplished," -Nick Saban
    " I come in peace" -WSIV70 (my old user name)

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by LSUgrad2BamaDad View Post
    Roster management just got a little tougher.
    Did it? I don't see it that way. You could get this group of freshmen a little PT during some games, let a different bunch play during a different game, and have them all with some game experience going into the playoffs to be used if needed. And if during their shot at playing time they really shine, no problem. You burn their redshirt and play them the whole year. I once again will fall into the whole Saban is the master chess player mode and assume that he will make better use of this rule change than anyone else out there.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedWave View Post
    Did it? I don't see it that way. You could get this group of freshmen a little PT during some games, let a different bunch play during a different game, and have them all with some game experience going into the playoffs to be used if needed. And if during their shot at playing time they really shine, no problem. You burn their redshirt and play them the whole year. I once again will fall into the whole Saban is the master chess player mode and assume that he will make better use of this rule change than anyone else out there.
    Maybe he means player management? All true freshmen will now want to get into a few games their freshman year.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Maybe he means player management? All true freshmen will now want to get into a few games their freshman year.
    I don't blame them for that. And I don't see it as a problem. Every team has a cupcake or two on the schedule where you could easily slide in some inexperienced players, even if just for a series or two, to see how they look in live fire situations. And I would bet many coaches would love having this opportunity to get them in there without having to burn a redshirt to see how it goes. I see this as win/win all the way around, unless I am missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by RedWave View Post
    I don't blame them for that. And I don't see it as a problem. Every team has a cupcake or two on the schedule where you could easily slide in some inexperienced players, even if just for a series or two, to see how they look in live fire situations. And I would bet many coaches would love having this opportunity to get them in there without having to burn a redshirt to see how it goes. I see this as win/win all the way around, unless I am missing something.
    For the elite teams, with elite players, this is true. This may present a "problem" for smaller schools. Players at smaller schools often take years to develop.

BamaNation First Team LSUgrad2BamaDad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    For the elite teams, with elite players, this is true. This may present a "problem" for smaller schools. Players at smaller schools often take years to develop.
    To clarify, I’m not against the rule. My point is that while it may afford the luxury of a 5th year for some, it has to be at the expense of a recruiting spot due to the 85 scholarship limit. I realize this may not be a problem at Alabama since how many 5th year guys do you ever have, but for most schools it could make for a challenge here and there.
    "(The Campus Catholic Sudent Center) is going to be our legacy, Terry and I's legacy, that we're going to be as proud of as anything we've ever accomplished," -Nick Saban
    " I come in peace" -WSIV70 (my old user name)

Quote Originally Posted by LSUgrad2BamaDad View Post
    To clarify, I’m not against the rule. My point is that while it may afford the luxury of a 5th year for some, it has to be at the expense of a recruiting spot due to the 85 scholarship limit. I realize this may not be a problem at Alabama since how many 5th year guys do you ever have, but for most schools it could make for a challenge here and there.
    That makes sense, but I think that most schools would just sit these guys now, so I don't see that as much of a change. If they were a 5 year player before, they will still be a 5 year player. I don't see many guys going from 4 year players to 5 year players because of this, but I could be wrong.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    Right, I think you get the guys you have a lot of faith in some early playing time, and then as the season progresses you can review your options.

This is really huge for Alabama with their depth though. They can now strategically deploy true freshman, rather than just either work to preserve their redshirt or play them if someone gets hurt. They can now promise to play pretty much any incoming true freshman.
    I had not thought of it in that way, but you are right. Now the 5 stars won't have to ride the wood for a year. This will help the negative recruiting too, about "you won't get to play."
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Looking at the schedule, Some freshmen will get a chance to play in first two games: Louisville and Arkansas State. Saban might try to use those game to determine who should redshirt right away or needs two more game to evaluate and possible save last two games for them. Also, This will work out well for Jalen... They might not try and play Jalen until the last 4 games if Tua is struggling and If everything goes well for Jalen, Redshirt and graduate as transfer and play 2 somewhere... and still play in 4 games this year.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    So now Jalen can stay and play in up to 4 games if Tua gets hurt and still redshirt then transfer at the end of the season and play immediately next year. Problem solved. Boom..
    With Jalen it's a really tricky situation though, because there are some things that he needs to improve on. While I think under normal circumstance, Hurts would be the best backup QB in the nation, if he hasn't played at all throughout most of the year, it begs the question of if a rusty Hurts is a better option than Mac?

To me, the way to approach it probably would still be to let Hurts play in the first couple of games in the season. If that goes like we all expect it to go, it might be time to shut Hurts down. Then, however he probably slips to third string. It could become a break glass in case of emergency type situation. Alabama would actually have two guys redshirting under that scenario, both capable of providing minutes in case of emergencies (or in the case of the newest addition, may be just mop up duty late a couple of times).

The key thing though is this does give Nick Saban a selling point for keeping Hurts around. He can say hey look, you can keep your redshirt if you're not going to be starting, and that does help preserve Alabama's depth.

The number of strategic moves Saban can make now with this rule though are really impressive. He can dial up the motivation on these guys to. For instance, in a big blowout he has the option now to replace several important contributors (to protect from injury) with guys who are redshirting. He can try out guys he wouldn't have tried out otherwise, for example last year he redshirted a place kicker. This means every guy on scholarship now understands he can go into games at pretty much any time, this will be interesting.
    Last edited by KrAzY3; June 13th, 2018 at 07:15 PM.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    With Jalen it's a really tricky situation though, because there are some things that he needs to improve on. While I think under normal circumstance, Hurts would be the best backup QB in the nation, if he hasn't played at all throughout most of the year, it begs the question of if a rusty Hurts is a better option than Mac?

To me, the way to approach it probably would still be to let Hurts play in the first couple of games in the season. If that goes like we all expect it to go, it might be time to shut Hurts down. Then, however he probably slips to third string. It could become a break glass in case of emergency type situation. Alabama would actually have two guys redshirting under that scenario, both capable of providing minutes in case of emergencies (or in the case of the newest addition, may be just mop up duty late a couple of times).

The key thing though is this does give Nick Saban a selling point for keeping Hurts around. He can say hey look, you can keep your redshirt if you're not going to be starting, and that does help preserve Alabama's depth.

The number of strategic moves Saban can make now with this rule though are really impressive. He can dial up the motivation on these guys to. For instance, in a big blowout he has the option now to replace several important contributors (to protect from injury) with guys who are redshirting. He can try out guys he wouldn't have tried out otherwise, for example last year he redshirted a place kicker. This means every guy on scholarship now understands he can go into games at pretty much any time, this will be interesting.
    I remember Auburn, Clemson and the first half with Georgia. I had rather have a QB that can pass, rusty or untested.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

I'm curious what Coach Saban has to say about this rule change....