News Article: Players can play up to 4 football games a year and still redshirt per new NCAA rule

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
WOW...that's huge.

Helps everybody but somehow I figure CNS figures out how to use this to his advantage!!!

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
This is such a good rule IMO. No idea what happens and there could be some issues that I'm not thinking of but I like it.

Biggest winners IMO are the players and Bowl games.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is huge - wait until the last few games and them plug in true freshmen who can make an impact and provide depth going into the playoff.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I like this idea. But do you want untested guys in games of that magnitude?
IMO, someone like Saban can make that judgement call pretty easily. In your case it would be 4 tough games - Auburn, SECCG then 2 CFP games.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
SO Jalen can play 4 games and be redshirted.. and transfer as a graduate? I'm kidding.
Hey, it could happen haha.

Overall, I see one good rule and one bad one. I think this is a good rule. I remember teams being put in positions like, do we play our hurt QB or take the redshirt off the other QB? Even Alabama was put in that position when GMac was hurt.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
9-8 Arkansas St 9-29 Louisiana Lafayette We should be able to get several freshmen some playing time in these two cupcake games. If we have a rash of injuries like last year at least we would have some plugins with some game experience. I like this rule and have wanted it for a long, long time.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Ah, this is what the Arkansas State game should be used for. With at least one game day experience under their belt they would not be untested at the home stretch -- just little tested.
Right, I think you get the guys you have a lot of faith in some early playing time, and then as the season progresses you can review your options.

This is really huge for Alabama with their depth though. They can now strategically deploy true freshman, rather than just either work to preserve their redshirt or play them if someone gets hurt. They can now promise to play pretty much any incoming true freshman.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
So now Jalen can stay and play in up to 4 games if Tua gets hurt and still redshirt then transfer at the end of the season and play immediately next year. Problem solved. Boom..

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Roster management just got a little tougher.
Did it? I don't see it that way. You could get this group of freshmen a little PT during some games, let a different bunch play during a different game, and have them all with some game experience going into the playoffs to be used if needed. And if during their shot at playing time they really shine, no problem. You burn their redshirt and play them the whole year. I once again will fall into the whole Saban is the master chess player mode and assume that he will make better use of this rule change than anyone else out there.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Did it? I don't see it that way. You could get this group of freshmen a little PT during some games, let a different bunch play during a different game, and have them all with some game experience going into the playoffs to be used if needed. And if during their shot at playing time they really shine, no problem. You burn their redshirt and play them the whole year. I once again will fall into the whole Saban is the master chess player mode and assume that he will make better use of this rule change than anyone else out there.
Maybe he means player management? All true freshmen will now want to get into a few games their freshman year.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Maybe he means player management? All true freshmen will now want to get into a few games their freshman year.
I don't blame them for that. And I don't see it as a problem. Every team has a cupcake or two on the schedule where you could easily slide in some inexperienced players, even if just for a series or two, to see how they look in live fire situations. And I would bet many coaches would love having this opportunity to get them in there without having to burn a redshirt to see how it goes. I see this as win/win all the way around, unless I am missing something.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't blame them for that. And I don't see it as a problem. Every team has a cupcake or two on the schedule where you could easily slide in some inexperienced players, even if just for a series or two, to see how they look in live fire situations. And I would bet many coaches would love having this opportunity to get them in there without having to burn a redshirt to see how it goes. I see this as win/win all the way around, unless I am missing something.
For the elite teams, with elite players, this is true. This may present a "problem" for smaller schools. Players at smaller schools often take years to develop.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
For the elite teams, with elite players, this is true. This may present a "problem" for smaller schools. Players at smaller schools often take years to develop.
To clarify, I’m not against the rule. My point is that while it may afford the luxury of a 5th year for some, it has to be at the expense of a recruiting spot due to the 85 scholarship limit. I realize this may not be a problem at Alabama since how many 5th year guys do you ever have, but for most schools it could make for a challenge here and there.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.