News Article: Players can play up to 4 football games a year and still redshirt per new NCAA rule
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Players can play up to 4 football games a year and still redshirt per new NCAA rule

Players can play up to 4 football games a year and still redshirt per new NCAA rule

No longer will you be unable to see a player on your favorite college football team play in a game because hes redshirting. The NCAA announced Wednesday that players will be allowed to play in up to four games a season while still retaining their redshirt status.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Re: Players can play up to 4 football games a year and still redshirt per new NCAA ru

WOW...that's huge.

Helps everybody but somehow I figure CNS figures out how to use this to his advantage!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Re: Players can play up to 4 football games a year and still redshirt per new NCAA ru

SO Jalen can play 4 games and be redshirted.. and transfer as a graduate? I'm kidding.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation All-American

This is such a good rule IMO. No idea what happens and there could be some issues that I'm not thinking of but I like it.

Biggest winners IMO are the players and Bowl games.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

This is huge - wait until the last few games and them plug in true freshmen who can make an impact and provide depth going into the playoff.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    This is huge - wait until the last few games and them plug in true freshmen who can make an impact and provide depth going into the playoff.
    I like this idea. But do you want untested guys in games of that magnitude?

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedWave View Post
    IMO, someone like Saban can make that judgement call pretty easily. In your case it would be 4 tough games - Auburn, SECCG then 2 CFP games.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Ohhh...! Yeah. There`s strategic planning going on as I type this!

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    SO Jalen can play 4 games and be redshirted.. and transfer as a graduate? I'm kidding.
    Hey, it could happen haha.

Overall, I see one good rule and one bad one. I think this is a good rule. I remember teams being put in positions like, do we play our hurt QB or take the redshirt off the other QB? Even Alabama was put in that position when GMac was hurt.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

9-8 Arkansas St 9-29 Louisiana Lafayette We should be able to get several freshmen some playing time in these two cupcake games. If we have a rash of injuries like last year at least we would have some plugins with some game experience. I like this rule and have wanted it for a long, long time.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

FB|BB Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RedWave View Post
    Tua says, “Hello.”
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    Tua says, “Hello.”
    Ah, this is what the Arkansas State game should be used for. With at least one game day experience under their belt they would not be untested at the home stretch -- just little tested.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    Ah, this is what the Arkansas State game should be used for. With at least one game day experience under their belt they would not be untested at the home stretch -- just little tested.
    Right, I think you get the guys you have a lot of faith in some early playing time, and then as the season progresses you can review your options.

This is really huge for Alabama with their depth though. They can now strategically deploy true freshman, rather than just either work to preserve their redshirt or play them if someone gets hurt. They can now promise to play pretty much any incoming true freshman.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban