Examining Sabanís 9-7 Record Against the Barn
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Examining Sabanís 9-7 Record Against the Barn

Itís off -season and I thought we could take a deep dive into what really has been somewhat of a head-scratcher during these past 10-11 years of glory and that is Sabanís rather unstellar record against the barn when compared against his overall record. 9-7 is his all-time record if I am correct, which is ONE game over .500. Numerous reasons have been put forth and I have my thoughts on the matter, but Iím interested in reading what a broad cross section of our fellow posters think. Has it just been sheer luck or good fortune for the barn, or is it something else? I look forward to hearing what all of yíall think.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Examining Sabanís 9-7 Record Against the Barn

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    It’s off -season and I thought we could take a deep dive into what really has been somewhat of a head-scratcher during these past 10-11 years of glory and that is Saban’s rather unstellar record against the barn when compared against his overall record. 9-7 is his all-time record if I am correct, which is ONE game over .500. Numerous reasons have been put forth and I have my thoughts on the matter, but I’m interested in reading what a broad cross section of our fellow posters think. Has it just been sheer luck or good fortune for the barn, or is it something else? I look forward to hearing what all of y’all think.
    One of the differences is the Auburn team seems to get away with holding on a heck of a lot of plays... AND... Auburn has seemingly had the 'Luck of the Irish' when they play Alabama.
    Lastly...
    I hesitate to say this, but Auburn can be a very good team when they play emotionally.
    When Auburn plays an unemotional game, they tend to doze off and lose.

On the other hand we generally play with a professional demeanor, and I think it has cost us occasionally. Notably in some games against Auburn and Clemson...
    I've watched us play like we were sleepwalking during the first half in lots of games, then the coaches would wake em up at halftime.

I've been at a loss to explain several losses to Auburn, unless our guys just didn't have their head in the game... (Got to blame our coaches when our guys come out and mope around)

BamaNation All-American

The difference between 9 and 7 is 2.

CNS was 2-3 vs AU at LSU.

CNS has won 7 of the last 10 vs AU at Bama. 2 of those 3 losses were against 2 of the best AU teams of all time with "unusual" circumstances, the other one was with a severely injured D and the last stand on a one-legged offense. I.e., AU has been good and fortunate, Bama has been great and unfortunate. Bama has beaten AU by 10 or more in 6 of those wins, 2 against ranked AU teams, including 3 absolute humiliations and 2 comfortable 2 TD+ wins. One of their wins was with one of the greatest teams in their history with their greatest player ever vs the worst Bama team and the only one that has lost more than 1 reg season game in the last 10 years, the 9-3 2010 team. That was a one point loss with a couple of once in a decade type plays along with a couple of other breaks.

This current Bama run must be incredibly frustrating for AU since they are on one of the greatest runs in their history, but are almost an afterthought because of Bama's massive shadow. They just can't keep up, even with their success, playing twice in the last 8 years for the NC. Their primary relevance is that they give outside hope to many that they can derail the Bama NC run, which they did once in 2013.

CNS is doing fine at Bama vas AU. Could be better, but 70% vs a good program that has played for the NC twice in the last 10 years is a nice job.

BamaNation All-American tusks_n_raider's Avatar

I know we've talked about this before in other threads but I honestly can't remember if I've ever commented about it. Let's look at the games.

2000 - 8-4 LSU Loses to 9-4 (Western Division Champion) AU 34-17 in Jordan-Hare (Record 0-1) - This was CNS 1st year when LSU was 3-8 in the previous season.

2001 - 10-3 LSU (SEC Champion) Beats 7-5 AU Team 27-14 (Record 1-1)

2002 - 8-5 LSU Loses to 9-4 AU 31-7 in Jordan-Hare (Record 1-2)

2003 - 13-1 LSU (National/SEC Champions) Beats 8-5 AU 31-7 (Record 2-2)

2004 - 9-3 LSU Loses to 13-0 AU (SEC Champion) 10-9 in Jordan-Hare (Record 2-3)

2007 - 7-6 ALA Loses to 9-4 AU 17-10 in Jordan-Hare (Record 2-4) This was CNS 1st year when ALA was 6-7 in the previous season. Also after starting 6-2 several key players were suspended for the season (Caldwell, Davis, Marquis Johnson, Coffee etc etc)

2008 - 12-2 ALA (SEC West Division Champion) Beats 5-7 AU 36-0 (Record 3-4)

2009 - 14-0 ALA (National/SEC Champion) Beats 8-5 AU 26-21 (Record 4-4)

2010 - 10-3 ALA Loses to 14-0 AU (National/SEC Champion) in BD 28-27 (Record 4-5) Blew a 24-0 Lead aided with the help of the most ridiculously fluke-lucky 30+ yard fumble touchback in NCAA History.

2011 - 12-1 ALA (National Champion) Beats 8-5 AU 42-14 (Record 5-5)

2012 - 13-1 ALA (National/SEC Champion) Beats 3-9 AU 49-0 (Record 6-5)

2013 - 11-2 ALA Loses to 12-2 AU (National Runner-Up) 34-28 in Jordan-Hare (Record 6-6) Due to one of the most miraculous plays in CFB History.

2014 - 12-2 ALA (SEC Champion) Beats 8-5 AU 55-44 (Record 7-6)

2015 - 14-1 ALA (National/SEC Champion) Beats 7-6 AU 29-13 (Record 8-6)

2016 - 14-1 ALA (SEC Champion) Beats 8-5 AU 30-12 (Record 9-6)

2017 - 13-1 ALA (National Champion) Loses to 10-4 AU in Jordan-Hare (SEC West Champion) 26-14 (Record 9-7)

1) Okay so what stands out to me is that right off the bat CNS lost to 2 quality AU teams on the Road in his 1st years at both LSU and ALA after inheriting both teams with losing records the year before.

2) Out of the 7 Overall Losses SIX were in that dang blasted Voodoo-Doll Indian Burial Ground Jordan-Hare Stadium.

3) At Alabama his 4 AU losses are by an avg margin of 6.5 Points. So they are close games and mostly at JH.

4) At Alabama his 7 Wins over AU are by an avg margin of 23.3 Points. The Wins are BLOWOUT CITY.

5) At Alabama 4 of the 7 Wins have been against AU Teams that finished 8-5. They weren't 'Good 9 Win Teams' because we kept them from winning 9 games. It's not our fault the other 3 AU teams were trash.

CNS's record is not as 'Bad' as it looks. Most of the losses were on the road at JH. 3 of the 7 Losses were to AU's Three Best teams of the Modern era 2004 (#2 Undefeated) 2010 (National Champion) 2013 (National Runner-Up).

The only 2 honest to goodness head scratching upsets are 2013 (Miracle Play) and 2017 where we were banged up and they were white hot and just outplayed us while we were held 1-dimensional by the QB situation.

CNS is honestly a couple bounces away from being 9-2 vs AU at Alabama instead of 7-4. The Mark Ingram Fumble Touchback and that 2013 'Play' are the two freakiest lucky bounces I've ever seen in my life.

But most importantly during all this we have won 5 National Titles and 5 SEC Titles. AU has won 1 National Title and 2 SEC Titles. Then there are two other years they were so spent after winning the IB they couldn't finish.... 2013, 2017

Oh and when is AU going to join the CFP?? We have participated in all 4. We FINISH. Everything is Fine.
    Last edited by tusks_n_raider; June 14th, 2018 at 12:51 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

I am throwing out the LSU years and 2007 - those games simply are not relevant as they were not Saban's Alabama teams.

That leaves Saban 7-3 against Auburn. 2 of those losses were very close games, with Auburn going on to play in the BCSNC game - so both were against very, very good Auburn teams. You tip your cap. The third loss - we all understand how that one happened.

IMO, you can't really talk about W/L records across 10 years and draw larger conclusions. Every game has a life of its own, and its own story to tell. No streaks here - just a bunch of games played between very good programs, each with its own outcome. The only lesson to be learned is that you have to take Auburn seriously (as a fan). They are a lot better than most Alabama fans would like to admit.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

The most frustrating loss of all is the last one. We went into the tiger's den and committed suicide. That still makes me want to get in a certain person's face and scream "what were you thinking?"

It seems to be one suicide, one lucky bounce and one great QB in 2010.
    Last edited by Redwood Forrest; June 14th, 2018 at 05:53 AM.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I agree with B1G, auburn, with the exception of a few years, is a very good team in spite of their HCs. I have made this point numerous times and, am usually met with criticism. They circle the IB every year and in most cases play their best game of the season.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame

If Auburn has something to play for.... They beat us every time.

If they donít.... we usually skunk them everytime. The only exceptions are 09 and 14

BamaNation All-SEC

Auburn is a very tough place to play. In my humble opinion it is the best home field advantage in the SEC right now. So when they are good it is VERY difficult to beat them over there. The day they beat us this past season they would have beaten any team in the country, not a doubt in my mind.

I don't like a lot of their fan base, but I can accept it when someone has kicked our butts, and this past season that's exactly what they did.

rtr

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    Auburn is a very tough place to play. In my humble opinion it is the best home field advantage in the SEC right now. So when they are good it is VERY difficult to beat them over there. The day they beat us this past season they would have beaten any team in the country, not a doubt in my mind.

I don't like a lot of their fan base, but I can accept it when someone has kicked our butts, and this past season that's exactly what they did.

rtr
    I have to disagree with the notion that Auburn kicked our butts last year. If Coach had not made the switch at QB in the CFP, would Georgia have kicked our butts? No, it means we committed suicide, just like at Auburn.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    The difference between 9 and 7 is 2.

CNS was 2-3 vs AU at LSU.

CNS has won 7 of the last 10 vs AU at Bama. 2 of those 3 losses were against 2 of the best AU teams of all time with "unusual" circumstances, the other one was with a severely injured D and the last stand on a one-legged offense. I.e., AU has been good and fortunate, Bama has been great and unfortunate. Bama has beaten AU by 10 or more in 6 of those wins, 2 against ranked AU teams, including 3 absolute humiliations and 2 comfortable 2 TD+ wins. One of their wins was with one of the greatest teams in their history with their greatest player ever vs the worst Bama team and the only one that has lost more than 1 reg season game in the last 10 years, the 9-3 2010 team. That was a one point loss with a couple of once in a decade type plays along with a couple of other breaks.

This current Bama run must be incredibly frustrating for AU since they are on one of the greatest runs in their history, but are almost an afterthought because of Bama's massive shadow. They just can't keep up, even with their success, playing twice in the last 8 years for the NC. Their primary relevance is that they give outside hope to many that they can derail the Bama NC run, which they did once in 2013.

CNS is doing fine at Bama vas AU. Could be better, but 70% vs a good program that has played for the NC twice in the last 10 years is a nice job.
    I think 2010 was probably one of the best top to bottom team CNS has had, but the inexperience on defense, the competitive edge 6 teams on the schedule got, and the lack of creativity from the offensive game plan ultimately did us in against USCe and LSU. Lack of execution in the second half did us in against Auburn. That Auburn team was begging to get beat with that defense but Mac went way too conservative like he did in the Texas game when we got up big. The only difference was Cam isnít Gilbert.

The 2013 game is on Nuss IMO. Itís pretty telling when Amari puts up 200+ yards two years in a row against the same defense. If Blake put up those numbers then I believe AJ was more than capable of putting up those numbers. But Nuss was bound and determined to run Yeldon up the middle vs a loaded box.

2017 we just got our butts kicked. I think had we done more outside running then we may have made it closer, but ultimately I donít think we were stopping Stidham in the 4th quarter with our defense banged up

I think the losses mostly deal with offensive conservatism and Auburn spirit. Notice that CLK is 3-0 as a OC against them.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    I have to disagree with the notion that Auburn kicked our butts last year. If Coach had not made the switch at QB in the CFP, would Georgia have kicked our butts? No, it means we committed suicide, just like at Auburn.
    UGA for a half kicked our butts so to answer your question Yes we got our butts kicked. You canít play this What if Tua game and ignore the result to try to change the narrative. Sure itís probably a different game we Tua, but itís still stands as the most dominanting meaningful loss since 2010
    Last edited by 81usaf92; June 14th, 2018 at 06:42 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Auburn plays preparing for a one game season. We play 15
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung