Question: Kirby? Jimbo? Muschamp? Pruitt? Which Former Saban assistant will be 1st to beat him?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Yes I said it in jest, but I could see your scenario play out if Oeaux let’s aTm go ahead of them. If that happens Kiffin goes to the top of my list of the former assistant to break the streak because he is a gambler and not a Saban purist.

FWIW idk why so many assume Kirby has righted the ship at UGA. If it’s because he reached the NCG and won the SEC within his first 2 years then I know there is coach in Lee Co that did the same. I also know that that coach in Lee Co did it with a far inferior team as well. Point is I think many are jumping the gun like they were with Mac. I believe Kirby is better than Mac just based off recruiting but I’m not convinced he is better than Richt just yet.
He had the #1 recruiting class last year with 7 or 8 5* players and they will most likely end up at #2 this year (we will be back on top). They are going to have better players than everybody but us so I see him clearly dominating the east and being a big threat to us in ATL.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Yes I said it in jest, but I could see your scenario play out if Oeaux let’s aTm go ahead of them. If that happens Kiffin goes to the top of my list of the former assistant to break the streak because he is a gambler and not a Saban purist.

FWIW idk why so many assume Kirby has righted the ship at UGA. If it’s because he reached the NCG and won the SEC within his first 2 years then I know there is coach in Lee Co that did the same. I also know that that coach in Lee Co did it with a far inferior team as well. Point is I think many are jumping the gun like they were with Mac. I believe Kirby is better than Mac just based off recruiting but I’m not convinced he is better than Richt just yet.
That may very well be true regarding Kirby - I hope so. But you are right, the jury is still out.

The Kiffin thoughts are on too, though the 09 UT game was not played as close as it turned out. Kiffin's O was pathetic til the last 3 minutes when they were OK. Then he got super conservative when he got on the outskirts of FG range with a weak kicker. He was paranoid, saying that he did not want a penalty. This was when he was saying that the SEC put the refs in Bama's and UF's back pockets. The game should have never come down to that FG attempt - but in the last 3 mins, a fumble and onsides kick recovery, the first TD of the day - what are the odds ?

He is thought of as a gambler, but much of his time at UT he was conservative. In fact, one thing I liked about his O at UT was that he was not afraid to be boring if it was working. He did a great job with Compton - especially psychologically. He was very supportive when the fanbase was out for blood. He might be scary at LSU - for them or the opposition :smile:. His undisciplined nature and LSU's craziness might be a toxic mix for them - tigers roaming the end zones, monkeys bouncing across the 50, half the team on LSD - who knows what ? One thing for sure, it would be fun and fascinating.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He had the #1 recruiting class last year with 7 or 8 5* players and they will most likely end up at #2 this year (we will be back on top). They are going to have better players than everybody but us so I see him clearly dominating the east and being a big threat to us in ATL.
Maybe but Richt had ridiculous talent too. I think Kirby has a 3 year window to do something and it may close very hard on him. Mullen could be a terror if he is able to bully Taggart.

I still think that last years UGA team was one of the most talented ones in my lifetime and still they had the same problems. I’m just unconvinced at this point that he is this great coach to be feared.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Maybe but Richt had ridiculous talent too. I think Kirby has a 3 year window to do something and it may close very hard on him. Mullen could be a terror if he is able to bully Taggart.

I still think that last years UGA team was one of the most talented ones in my lifetime and still they had the same problems. I’m just unconvinced at this point that he is this great coach to be feared.
TBH, Kirby could be Richt with better luck/better bounces here or there and probably make a lot of UGA fans happy. Or I would think, I'm not exactly an expert on UGA fans...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
That may very well be true regarding Kirby - I hope so. But you are right, the jury is still out.

The Kiffin thoughts are on too, though the 09 UT game was not played as close as it turned out. Kiffin's O was pathetic til the last 3 minutes when they were OK. Then he got super conservative when he got on the outskirts of FG range with a weak kicker. He was paranoid, saying that he did not want a penalty. This was when he was saying that the SEC put the refs in Bama's and UF's back pockets. The game should have never come down to that FG attempt - but in the last 3 mins, a fumble and onsides kick recovery, the first TD of the day - what are the odds ?

He is thought of as a gambler, but much of his time at UT he was conservative. In fact, one thing I liked about his O at UT was that he was not afraid to be boring if it was working. He did a great job with Compton - especially psychologically. He was very supportive when the fanbase was out for blood. He might be scary at LSU - for them or the opposition :smile:. His undisciplined nature and LSU's craziness might be a toxic mix for them - tigers roaming the end zones, monkeys bouncing across the 50, half the team on LSD - who knows what ? One thing for sure, it would be fun and fascinating.
Truth be told I rather him be at LSU than Auburn. But one thing is for certain, and that is that all positive outcomes for Kiffin this year ( meaning that he does well again this year) lead to either a Bigger HC job in NCAA or an OC in the NFL. I don’t see him at FAU another year if he gets 9+ wins again.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
TBH, Kirby could be Richt with better luck/better bounces here or there and probably make a lot of UGA fans happy. Or I would think, I'm not exactly an expert on UGA fans...
I defer to 92tide, King, and Jon for that answer but I can tell you they are the most obnoxious unrealistic bunch I’ve ever met.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Truth be told I rather him be at LSU than Auburn. But one thing is for certain, and that is that all positive outcomes for Kiffin this year ( meaning that he does well again this year) lead to either a Bigger HC job in NCAA or an OC in the NFL. I don’t see him at FAU another year if he gets 9+ wins again.
I don't think there is much chance that he will be at AU in the foreseeable future. LSU is another matter, though as fun, interesting and possibly successful as it could be, IMO, it would be a big gamble on their part unless they just can't find anyone more suitable. Money may be an issue for them.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't think there is much chance that he will be at AU in the foreseeable future. LSU is another matter, though as fun, interesting and possibly successful as it could be, IMO, it would be a big gamble on their part unless they just can't find anyone more suitable. Money may be an issue for them.
To paraphrase to describe the situation at LSU:

“ Saban has squeezed them and hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation they have turned to a man that they don’t fully understand.”

Lol
I think they are desperate enough to get kiffin

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
For some reason I think that Kiffin would be a guy the NFL goes after, but he would be a threat at LSU because he would recruit a top qb and after that everything would fall into place. If he didn't shoot himself in the foot he could be their best coach since CNS.

Rtr

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't see Gump as a negative term anymore really. Or at least not the way Alabama fans have started to use it.
It’s a step above Updykes but it’s a LSU term to describe us. It’s kinda like calling Auburn the boogers. It kinda falls into meh nickname to offensive one. The dominant demographic on here doesn’t care for it so no one uses it.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
It’s a step above Updykes but it’s a LSU term to describe us. It’s kinda like calling Auburn the boogers.
I mean I get where it started. But many Alabama fans have chosen to simply embrace it and I'm all on board with that.

But if people prefer I not use it here then I won't.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

You may be right and if I'm not mistaken Richt never finished #1 or in the top 3 during his tenure which had a lot of Dawg fans angry since GA HS football had/has so much talent. I think if you bring in top 3 classes on a regular basis it gives you a big advantage over your competition. I agree Kirby still has a lot to prove but if he keeps bringing in top talent it will make it easier especially in the east.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
The guys on the radio in Mobile had a stat recently where at least 50% of the five star guys signed by SEC teams over a certain period of time (they said it, I just can't remember it) wind up being all-SEC players before they leave. That would seem to be true, at least to me. That being the case, you have to figure Georgia will have four or five all-SEC players on their team at the same time within the next three years, and how are you not successful with that kind of talent on your roster?

Of course, being successful is one thing, living in the heights we have been at for the last 10 years is another. Team chemistry, game-day coaching, S&C, etc. A lot of things contribute to the overall success of a program.

As far as Richt goes, Georgia was one great CJ Mosley play away from winning a national championship in 2012. Is there anyone who doubts they would have wiped the field with Notre Dame?

rtr

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I agree with you, but I don't think Kiffin is capable of NOT shooting himself in the foot. It's just not in him to do right.
For some reason I think that Kiffin would be a guy the NFL goes after, but he would be a threat at LSU because he would recruit a top qb and after that everything would fall into place. If he didn't shoot himself in the foot he could be their best coach since CNS.

Rtr

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The guys on the radio in Mobile had a stat recently where at least 50% of the five star guys signed by SEC teams over a certain period of time (they said it, I just can't remember it) wind up being all-SEC players before they leave. That would seem to be true, at least to me. That being the case, you have to figure Georgia will have four or five all-SEC players on their team at the same time within the next three years, and how are you not successful with that kind of talent on your roster?

Of course, being successful is one thing, living in the heights we have been at for the last 10 years is another. Team chemistry, game-day coaching, S&C, etc. A lot of things contribute to the overall success of a program.

As far as Richt goes, Georgia was one great CJ Mosley play away from winning a national championship in 2012. Is there anyone who doubts they would have wiped the field with Notre Dame?

rtr
But also remember Richt was blown out 35-7 by USCe that year. So in comparing the two years they get blown out on the road by the best team on their regular season schedule, and find a ridiculous way to lose on the last play in a NCG vs Bama in Atlanta. The only difference between 12 and 17 UGA is a SEC and Rose Bowl title. I would argue that 17 UGA was probably the most talented UGA team in the last 30 years, but still Georgiaed at the finish line. So really what’s different so far. Kirby has lost to Vandy, GT, Tennessee, and Florida in the same fashion that Richt has. Until the puppies raise the ugly trophy, go a run like they already should’ve been doing, or get a win over Bama I’m still skeptical of Kirby because this is not new territory in UGA agony yet.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I don't see Gump as a negative term anymore really. Or at least not the way Alabama fans have started to use it.
I`ve always assumed that it had to do with the character Forrest Gump. Let`s see. A man of principle, unswervingly devoted to the people he loves, even when they reject him , awarded the Medal, self-made multimillionaire, etc, all while overcoming his own personal shortcomings? All that makes him a subject of derision? I personally think he represents qualities we should all aspire to . Deride on . I`m proud to be a Gump.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.