Question: Kirby? Jimbo? Muschamp? Pruitt? Which Former Saban assistant will be 1st to beat him?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Kirby? Jimbo? Muschamp? Pruitt? Which Former Saban assistant will be 1st to beat him?

Kirby? Jimbo? Muschamp? Pruitt? Sooner or later, one of Nick Saban's former assistants will beat him ... right?

Saw this article and thought it posed an interesting question because of how close Kirby got plus Jimbo and Pruitt joining the list of SEC HCs who are former Saban assistants.

Obviously the gump answer here is none of them. But, it does seem likely that Saban will eventually lose to one of them considering how often he will play them now. Personally, my first thought was Kriby but after thinking about it more I would put money on Jimbo or maybe Pruitt simply because they will play him more often than Kriby.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Kirby? Jimbo? Muschamp? Pruitt? Which Former Saban assistant will be 1st to beat

Lane Kiffin. *** blue

In seriousness I donít see any of them doing it because I think CNS probably hangs it up before any of them make a better team. But if I was betting on one then I would say Jimbo because 1) he will have more chances than Kirby and 2) better recruits than Jeremy.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; June 14th, 2018 at 08:11 AM.

Suspended

Re: Kirby? Jimbo? Muschamp? Pruitt? Which Former Saban assistant will be 1st to beat

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Personally, my first thought was Kriby but after thinking about it more I would put money on Jimbo or maybe Pruitt simply because they will play him more often than Kriby.
    However, if Kirby is playing Saban, it will most likely be in the SEC Championship game.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Lane Kiffin.
    I actually wouldn't be that surprised if this happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by drwho View Post
    However, if Kirby is playing Saban, it will most likely be in the SEC Championship game.
    Yea, and I think Saban is more likely to lose a regular season game than an SEC Championship tbh.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

If you told me one of CNS's former assistant coaches would beat him, but I had to guess which one, I'd say it would be Kirby. He seems to have the closest personality and he has a lot of talent in Georgia. Texas has a lot of talent as well, but I am not yet sold on Jimbo's coaching, and Texas talent gets spread around (Texas A&M, UT, Oklahoma, TT, TCU, etc.). Georgia talent only gets shared among UGa, GT and maybe the University of West Georgia on the Plains.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Iíd eliminate Pruitt first. He doesnít have the horses now and will not have for a few years.

Georgia may own the East for the next few years. My guess is Kriby.

Thereís a good chance no former assistant will ever beat Saban.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I would probably say if Lane ever went to a power 5 team or Kevin Steele got upgraded mid season because they fire Gus then those are better shots at the Man than Kirby, Jermey, or Jimbo.

I think you could see fear in Kirbyís eyes in the second half, and Iím not convinced he will ever break the Georgia trend of falling 5 yards short of the finish line.

Jeremy is in an uphill battle recruiting so I donít think we will see him doing it.

Jimbo has a chance but his biggest obstacle is holding of Herman and CNS.

Mush is probably never going to get that many chances. I think 2019 or this yearís SECCG are his only chances.

Kiffin came the closest with a far inferior team than any of them. But predicting Kiffin to do it is so unrealistic itís not really worth taking it serious. But Iíll say he wasnít afraid and is able to recruit. I think if he ever got the Auburn job then every Alabama fan would need a Prilosec prescription.

But realistically Jimbo.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; June 14th, 2018 at 08:30 AM.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    I’d eliminate Pruitt first. He doesn’t have the horses now and will not have for a few years.

Georgia may own the East for the next few years. My guess is Kriby.

There’s a good chance no former assistant will ever beat Saban.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It depends how long you see Saban coaching and how long it will take for an assistant to beat him. If it takes a while its possible Pruitt can pull it off.

I like 81s Lane Kiffin pick though. It's just hard to predict that he will even play Saban with a decent team any times soon.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Just playing the odds, Pruitt or Fisher because he has to play them every year. Edge to Fisher because his team is already pretty well assembled.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I think another problem is that CNSís assistants try too hard to replicate what he does. I think Skip Bayless and Clay Travis hit the nail on the head when they said ď CNS couldnít have asked for a better matchup in the CFPNCG than UGAĒ. I think itís one of those things in ď Iíve taught you everything you know but not everything I know.Ē Playing a CNS team with a replica CNS is only going to end one way unless you have a considerable advantage. CNS only struggles with foreign offenses and defenses to his system. Dantonio and Kirby arenít that much different imo.

I think Jimbo at least has his own philosophy with a little CNS structure. But I ultimately compare him to Tuberville and Miles in that they are going to be on the edge of glory a lot but they lose some really head scratchers.

BamaNation All-American

I think another problem is that CNS’s assistants try too hard to replicate what he does. I think Skip Bayless and Clay Travis hit the nail on the head when they said “ CNS couldn’t have asked for a better matchup in the CFPNCG than UGA”. I think it’s one of those things in “ I’ve taught you everything you know but not everything I know.” Playing a CNS team with a replica CNS is only going to end one way unless you have a considerable advantage. CNS only struggles with foreign offenses and defenses to his system. Dantonio and Kirby aren’t that much different imo.

I think Jimbo at least has his own philosophy with a little CNS structure. But I ultimately compare him to Tuberville and Miles in that they are going to be on the edge of glory a lot but they lose some really head scratchers.

I'd have to say Kirby. I think it will take several seasons before Jimbo or Pruitt would have the kind of team to possibly beat Bama. Meanwhile Kirby already seems to have the kind of team that could beat us. We will most likely have to play Georgia again this year in the SECCG. While I'm not predicting them to beat us I'd have to say they present a much greater danger than any A&M or UT teams in the near future.

Suspended

Lane Kiffin. *** blue

In seriousness I don’t see any of them doing it because I think CNS probably hangs it up before any of them make a better team. But if I was betting on one then I would say Jimbo because 1) he will have more chances than Kirby and 2) better recruits than Jeremy.
    Ok, I guess I'm pretty late to the party, but I could totally see this.

My theory? It's ENTIRELY POSSIBLE (based on soft schedules) that Lane could average ~9 wins a year at FAU. Look what he did in his first season!

IF that happens, and WHEN (not If) another SEC or ACC coach falters, I could TOTALLY see Lane getting a P-5 gig again. Really, the only program in the Southeast that would likely NEVER talk to him is UcheaT.
    OF all those listed, Lane probably has the most ability to effectively attack a Saban coached team, IF he had the "horses". Imagine for a moment, if Lane got the job at FRU, UF or LSu, and hired a serviceable DC???

That said, just going on the "Odds" - I'd handicap them in this order:
    Jimbo Fulmer (plays us every year, taking over a program already in good condition physically and with unlimited resources)
    Jeremy Pruitt (plays us every year, will eventually have that program in good shape)
    Kirby Smart (Fewer shots at us, but much like Les at LSu or Urban at UF - took over a program that was already at a near-Championship level).

But my HOPE is that it never happens!

PS- gotta agree - listening to or reading ANYTHING from clay travis or Skip Bayless is like drinking RAW SEWAGE.