Morning shade from Florida - "Auburn prices"
Thanks Thanks:  0 Like Like:  0 Dislike Dislike:  0 Roll Tide! Roll Tide!:  0
    BamaNation Second Team

Morning shade from Florida - "Auburn prices"

Florida candidate for governor Adam Putnam used Auburn as an example of low-rent universities.
    (Putnam is now the state Commissioner of Agriculture.)
    As a parent sending a child out-of-state to our dear Capstone, I can attest, it costs about the same as UF. He needs to check his math because I think AU is slightly higher, but I still thought it was funny, and worth repeating the myth, unlike most campaign statements.

http://www.tampabay.com/florida-poli...s-putnam-says/

TAMPA — Republican governor candidate Adam Putnam said Tuesday that the state is "selling Florida universities cheap to out-of-state students" and suggested tuition should be higher for non-residents.
    "We're now a world class university system," said Putnam, the state's agriculture commissioner. "Make people earn it."
    A year at the University of Florida for a non-resident costs $28,658, while an out-of-state student pays $21,515 for a year at Florida State, $17,324 at University of South Florida and $22,466 at University of Central Florida.
    Across the entire state university system, the average tuition for two semesters as a full-time student is $20,630 for non-Floridians.
    Putnam, himself a University of Florida product, said those were "Auburn prices" and "we ought to be charging Chapel Hill (University of North Carolina) and UVA (University of Virginia) and (University of) Michigan's tuition to be an out-of-state student."
    Last edited by Bamagator; June 15th, 2018 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Added Putnam's current position.

2. Advertisement