News Article: Initiative to break California into 3 states to go on November ballot

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Initiative to break California into 3 states to go on November ballot

(CNN)An initiative that would divide California into three separate states qualified Tuesday to appear on the ballot in November's general election.Californians will vote whether to separate into three states: California, Northern California and Southern California -- subject to approval by US Congress.

The proposal by venture capitalist, Tim Draper to break up California in a campaign called "Cal 3," received more than 402,468 valid signatures -- surpassing the amount required by state law.

California Secretary of State Alex Padilla will certify the initiative as qualified for the November 6th ballot on June 28.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
To me, with the proposed set-up, the three Californias would still heavily lean Democrat. The only toss ups would be including the desert and farmers in "Southern California" and the libertarian-types in extreme Northern California. But, the numbers in LA and the Bay Area should drown them out.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
To me, with the proposed set-up, the three Californias would still heavily lean Democrat. The only toss ups would be including the desert and farmers in "Southern California" and the libertarian-types in extreme Northern California. But, the numbers in LA and the Bay Area should drown them out.
I think LA would be in the "New California" not "Southern California". Though San Diego would still be in Southern California.

Just to clarify what I'm saying. I don't think Southern California would be a Red state or anything close. It simply would have a higher chance of flipping in a given election and politicians are risk adverse.

Obviously, there are various other issues involved with splitting a state into 3.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
It would never happen though I'd love to see it.

For nothing else then to be able to see some of the inner workings of the Constitution

Plus it would really be interesting to see how the agricultural tax base creates wealth in what are now traditionally poor areas.....when you don't have to take care of the dead weight in LA and the Bay Area.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
It was an environmental group that filed the lawsuit to remove it from the ballet, of course because they ruin everything.

People scared to let the people vote on it because just maybe it would pass?

I just really wanted to see what the result would have been.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.