Gas price spike?

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Gasoline has been going up, no question. Usually goes up in the summer as the summer blend gas is more expensive.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Gas prices always go up in the summer and especially before holidays. Yes it is a scummy way to treat people but what can you do? Bike, walk, ride a horse?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Just got back home from filling up a bunch of my portable gas tanks. All together about 16 gallons. Got Non-ethanol. Was around $3.50/gal. at Wawa.

I figure the price will be going up at some point and wanted to have this on hand for upcoming hurricane season for my generator.

I can also use for my motorcycles and small gas engine applications.

Next on the list is roof repairs.... :rolleye2:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
in atlanta we have been bouncing around high $2 and low $3 for quite a while.
been driving into Alabama a bunch the last few weeks and have been coasting in on fumes each time as Bama is 30-40 cents a gallon cheaper. Come in empty, leave full

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
We gave the fat man in NJ to thank for our 23 cent a gallon gas tax from 2 years ago. Cheap gas up here is 2.72 a gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I've never understood the fixation on the price of gasoline. For example, Bazza filled up 16 gallons at $3.50 each. So if the price went to $4.50, a lot of people would proclaim the sky falling.

Bazza would have saved a grand total of $16...a glass of wine at a decent restaurant, 2 six-packs of craft beer, 3 six-packs of Bud Light, half an entree at a good restaurant, three packs of cigarettes.

If you take a 600 mile road trip (300 miles each way), and get 20 mpg, you consume 30 gallons. If gas goes up $1, it's $30 in the context of three nights hotels, 9 meals per person, not to mention incidentals.

So what's the difference between $1,200 and 1,230? Doesn't amount to a sneeze in a hurricane.

Yes, it can pile up if you have a 50+ mile commute each way. But that's your choice. You could live closer to work, or work closer to home. Your option. You chose the long commute.

I just don't get the simultaneous fascination with the price of gasoline, and the gnashing of teeth if it goes up.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Back when I complained a lot more I drove more and made a lot less. It also wasn't as simple as moving or changing jobs. Jobs are where the jobs are and some places cost more than others or perhaps it's a place you might not want to live in near.

So I get it. Thank goodness it's not so much of a concern any more.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Back when I complained a lot more I drove more and made a lot less. It also wasn't as simple as moving or changing jobs. Jobs are where the jobs are and some places cost more than others or perhaps it's a place you might not want to live in near.

So I get it. Thank goodness it's not so much of a concern any more.
I fill up about once a month. That is probably going to change once my office officially move next week. I was a little over 1 mile from work. I will now be a little over 3 miles. I may need a raise for these unfair working conditions.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I've never understood the fixation on the price of gasoline. For example, Bazza filled up 16 gallons at $3.50 each. So if the price went to $4.50, a lot of people would proclaim the sky falling.

Bazza would have saved a grand total of $16...a glass of wine at a decent restaurant, 2 six-packs of craft beer, 3 six-packs of Bud Light, half an entree at a good restaurant, three packs of cigarettes.

If you take a 600 mile road trip (300 miles each way), and get 20 mpg, you consume 30 gallons. If gas goes up $1, it's $30 in the context of three nights hotels, 9 meals per person, not to mention incidentals.

So what's the difference between $1,200 and 1,230? Doesn't amount to a sneeze in a hurricane.

Yes, it can pile up if you have a 50+ mile commute each way. But that's your choice. You could live closer to work, or work closer to home. Your option. You chose the long commute.

I just don't get the simultaneous fascination with the price of gasoline, and the gnashing of teeth if it goes up.

I guess the difference would be how much you drive and how often can you afford to go to a decent restaurant. Depending on the size of the city and crime not sure you have a choice on living close to your job.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.