****2019 4* 6-5 260 DE Justin Eboigbe COMMITS to Bama****

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I don't get choosing UT over us, but I don't get a lot of things. The defensive front does look to be thinner than we like going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
And i get your point, ton of talent in this class but weve wiffed big at the front 7 the last 3 cycles now at least from a depth perspective and that is arguably our biggest weakness, and those misses have led us to miss on others down the stretch by slow playing them. Last year was a disaster, this year looks only slightly better.
wow now, slow up just a little bit.

True DL

the 17 class had Ray, Buggs and Mathis

the 18 class had Wynn and Barmore

OLB/DE:

17: Cowan; Parks, Allen

18: Latu, Davis, Anoma

ILB (the big issue really)

17: Moses, Benton

18: Moody (late add of Kaho, but that was odd)

All the Dl are 4* guys who are going on contribute big time. Mathis was all-freshman SEC, ray played really, really well when he was in. Wynn and Barmore are waiting their turn, just like Q Williams did his first year. Yes, we need to keep the big boys coming in, but on Dl we are not in horrible shape.

For DE/OLB we have a ton of depth, if we can keep folks happy. remember we really only have one true OLB starter since we play in nickel so much then the other guys get reps in situational packages. Cowan getting the boot hurts, as does Davis not qualifying, but in recruiting the staff got them on campus.

Now ILB - that's the area of concern. Other than moses, no big name ready to start ILBs. I think the log jam of depth hurt a bit (Foster, Evans, SDH), with Mack and at least in theory B Davis I'm sure a lot of younger guys thought they wouldn't be able to find a spot on the depth chart. We need at least 2 ILBs in this cycle who can step on campus ready to at least push for a spot on the two deep and contribute immediately on special teams...

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
wow now, slow up just a little bit.

True DL

the 17 class had Ray, Buggs and Mathis

the 18 class had Wynn and Barmore

OLB/DE:

17: Cowan; Parks, Allen

18: Latu, Davis, Anoma

ILB (the big issue really)

17: Moses, Benton

18: Moody (late add of Kaho, but that was odd)

All the Dl are 4* guys who are going on contribute big time. Mathis was all-freshman SEC, ray played really, really well when he was in. Wynn and Barmore are waiting their turn, just like Q Williams did his first year. Yes, we need to keep the big boys coming in, but on Dl we are not in horrible shape.

For DE/OLB we have a ton of depth, if we can keep folks happy. remember we really only have one true OLB starter since we play in nickel so much then the other guys get reps in situational packages. Cowan getting the boot hurts, as does Davis not qualifying, but in recruiting the staff got them on campus.

Now ILB - that's the area of concern. Other than moses, no big name ready to start ILBs. I think the log jam of depth hurt a bit (Foster, Evans, SDH), with Mack and at least in theory B Davis I'm sure a lot of younger guys thought they wouldn't be able to find a spot on the depth chart. We need at least 2 ILBs in this cycle who can step on campus ready to at least push for a spot on the two deep and contribute immediately on special teams...
Im not sure what to say if you think 5 d lineman over 2 cycles is great. We missed big last year. Doing better this year but building depth there was big deal for this class and this a big miss.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Im not sure what to say if you think 5 d lineman over 2 cycles is great. We missed big last year. Doing better this year but building depth there was big deal for this class and this a big miss.
There just aren't that many of those kids anymore. You adjust accordingly. Kids don't want to sit when they can go somewhere else and play immediately. We seldom start/play freshmen on the DL. Payne was an exception.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
There just aren't that many of those kids anymore. You adjust accordingly. Kids don't want to sit when they can go somewhere else and play immediately. We seldom start/play freshmen on the DL. Payne was an exception.
Agreed, I do think that Alfano and Sophsher will play immediately this year though. Possibly DJ Dale since he is coming in early.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
The point is we've missed a LOT more at ILB than DL. I'd rather have picked up 2 more over the last 2 years, but since we only ever play 3 DL at a time, and many times just 2 we are not as thin there as it seems.

He likely wasn't going to contribute year one at Bama, and that's what is pulling him away. If we are really projecting him as a DL and not a Jack, then at 263 he has a LOT of work to do before he will play. He'll need 25 pounds, min. If we are projecting him as a Jack we are reasonably deep there have 2, maybe 3 guys coming for that spot, although all look to need time with Cochran.

ILB - we really, really needed Dean. Moody might turn out to be the ILB version of Jacobs - which would be great. Kaho looks more like an old school SS and needs weight. That's the 18 ILBs. Then we have Benton from 17 who's in limbo on depth chart and Ben Davis and Mcmillion. Then Mack and Moses. that's it. 2 starter quality guys. no more. that unit needs depth big time...

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
fans need to step back and relax. recruiting is not for the weak hearted.
Bama will finish with the best DL/OL/ and Secondary class( even w/o Hill) in the nation.
this is not the GOAT first rodeo.
expect more great news before its all said done.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.