What's your favorite Chinese food?

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
What's your favourite Chinese food?

Rice Box in Florence. Typical wok style Chinese food. A few legit dishes. Really good sushi (I know, it’s not Chinese but it’s still quality). Cheap too.

As far as a dish- there is a great Chinese place in Yangon I frequent when I travel there. Their roasted duck and pork and “gravy” is fantastic. I usually don’t like duck but this is really good.

Some above mentioned Thai food. Much of SE Asia is very similar style of cooking. Burmese and Thai cuisine are nearly indistinguishable. My favorite dish is Tom Yum soup. I’ve had restaurants’ attempts stateside. None have done it justice. A simple dish, I know but in Bangkok or Yangon it one of my “go to” foods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Re: What's your favourite Chinese food?

We tend to eat Thai, rather than Chinese...
Now you have my interest piqued.....I will make a point of trying something out from this local Thai restaurant located downtown off Canal Street:

http://thaimangonsb.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-home.cgi?d=thai-mango

Here's their menu:

http://thaimangonsb.com/uploads/4243/Thai_Mango_Menu2Rev.pdf

There's another Thai place right on Flagler I will have to try also.

Do you a favorite Thai entree, Earle?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Many years ago I went to a Japanese restaurant in Boston. The owner refused to allow forks in his restaurant.
personally I can't stand eating Asian food with a fork, to the point of asking for chopsticks at Thai restaurants. Thailand is a fork and knife country unlike much of Asia. So I'm sure I look like a rube at my Thai places but oh well. I really like chopsticks, especially my purple lightsaber set

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

personally I can't stand eating Asian food with a fork, to the point of asking for chopsticks at Thai restaurants. Thailand is a fork and knife country unlike much of Asia. So I'm sure I look like a rube at my Thai places but oh well. I really like chopsticks, especially my purple lightsaber set

This is probably equivalent to the time I was at a backyard bbq and a guy asked for ketchup and mayo to put on his pulled pork sandwich. It took all I could muster not to slap the guy in the back of the head and tell him to go sit in the car while his wife visited. I apologized to the pitmaster on his behalf for the obvious insult.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Many years ago I went to a Japanese restaurant in Boston. The owner refused to allow forks in his restaurant.
My home church as a kid sponsored missionaries to China (you can tell how long ago this was. They made an annual visit to our church and Mrs. Tilley tutored me in the use of chopsticks. I eat as well with them as a fork and knife. They're actually better for salad...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

They've actually told me that they eat primarily with a large spoon but with chopsticks for noodles. I haven't visited. That's just what I've told stateside...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Now you have my interest piqued.....I will make a point of trying something out from this local Thai restaurant located downtown off Canal Street:

http://thaimangonsb.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-home.cgi?d=thai-mango

Here's their menu:

http://thaimangonsb.com/uploads/4243/Thai_Mango_Menu2Rev.pdf

There's another Thai place right on Flagler I will have to try also.

Do you a favorite Thai entree, Earle?
You should be aware that their restaurants vary in naming of dishes which are sometimes very similar. As analogs, I like numbers 27 and 41...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

This is from the TripSavvy site:

The Eating Utensils

In Thailand, chopsticks are really only used for standalone noodle dishes. Even if you prefer chopsticks and know the rules for using them politely, don’t use them for rice-based dishes. Thai people eat with a spoon in the right hand and fork in the left. The spoon is the primary utensil; the fork is only used to manipulate food. Only items not eaten with rice (e.g., chunks of fruit) are OK to eat with a fork.

There won’t be knives on the table, or anywhere outside of the kitchen for that matter; food should already be cut up into bite-sized pieces. If you need to cut food smaller, use your fork and spoon to tear it apart.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

You should be aware that their restaurants vary in naming of dishes which are sometimes very similar. As analogs, I like numbers 27 and 41...
These two?

27 THAI FRIED RICE
jasmine rice, broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, scallion and eggs stir
fried with an soy-oyster sauce

41 CASHEW NUTS**
roasted cashew nuts, onions, scallion and bell pepper in spicy
sauce

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

These two?

27 THAI FRIED RICE
jasmine rice, broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, scallion and eggs stir
fried with an soy-oyster sauce

41 CASHEW NUTS**
roasted cashew nuts, onions, scallion and bell pepper in spicy
sauce

Yes, except our favorite neighborhood Thai restaurant adds baby corn to #41. Here is their menu on TripAdvisor...

Thai Garden

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.