Rolando McClain on Mack Wilson: "I Like Him A Lot"

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

Near the end of the regular season last year, Rolando McClain went into Alabama's inside linebacker meeting room and wrote out a challenge on the white board.

To beat it, a player had to produce statistically like McClain during one of his top games with the Crimson Tide while, like McClain during that game, making few -- if any -- mental mistakes.

For more than a month, no one checked all the boxes.

The player that finally did? Mack Wilson in the national title game. Making just his second career start, the then-sophomore posted a team-high 12 tackles and two tackles for a loss during Alabama's win over Georgia.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think we are very possibly about to have the most talented ILB tandem under Saban. Idk if their numbers will reach that level but they are certainly one of the higher potential duos we've had. Which is saying something.

Specifically, I think they might end up being the best ILB duo we have had when it comes to game changing/impact plays like sacks and interceptions.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Are we talking Tuscaloosa Rolando, or Decatur Rolando? Those are two very different people with very different endorsements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Mack had a MONSTER CFP performance both games that kind of got overshadowed by Da'Ron Payne's 2 games.

Here are Mack's stats...

Clemson Game: 6 Tackles 4 Solo INT(Pick 6)

Georgia Game: 12 Tackles 7 Solo 2 TFL's

His 18 Total Tackles lead all defensive players.

He's an absolute BEAST!!! I like him a LOT too....lol

Last edited:

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Are we talking Tuscaloosa Rolando, or Decatur Rolando? Those are two very different people with very different endorsements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is totally unnecessary IMO. Trust and believe if Ro McClain were deemed to be any semblance of detrimental to the team he wouldn't be allowed in the complex. From what I understand he's fighting his demons and winning. CNS is the ultimate micromanager and a positive influence on players past and present alike. I'm good with it.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I think the point was at least somewhat valid. McClain was one of my favorites when he was at Alabama. I love all our boys and wish him the best, hope he turns everything around, etc. But he has been a disappointment since he moved into the NFL. I actually hope he is hanging around there in order to get some of what he had back in his time with us back so that he can get his life headed in the right direction. I do agree with the point though that Coach Saban would not let him around if he thought there could be an issue.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I think we are very possibly about to have the most talented ILB tandem under Saban. Idk if their numbers will reach that level but they are certainly one of the higher potential duos we've had. Which is saying something.

Specifically, I think they might end up being the best ILB duo we have had when it comes to game changing/impact plays like sacks and interceptions.
You may be right but that is saying a lot. Ro and Donta is about as good as it gets.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
You may be right but that is saying a lot. Ro and Donta is about as good as it gets.
Agreed. I'm not sure that they will turn out to be the best 2 but they are both fantastic athletes and have shown a ton of promise in pretty limited game time. Both need to develop more but the potential and talent is clearly there.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think the point was at least somewhat valid. McClain was one of my favorites when he was at Alabama. I love all our boys and wish him the best, hope he turns everything around, etc. But he has been a disappointment since he moved into the NFL. I actually hope he is hanging around there in order to get some of what he had back in his time with us back so that he can get his life headed in the right direction. I do agree with the point though that Coach Saban would not let him around if he thought there could be an issue.
I think the fact McClain is around the program is a good thing for the kids in the locker room. I don't care about what he did in Decatur, Huntsville, Oakland, etc. That is not an issue. This is great for him to have influence on those LBs and encouraging them to do well on the field. We shouldn't take away attention from the article and focus on what he did in the past. That's not fair at all.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I think the NG play in the 3-4 has a huge amount to say in regards to the play of the ILB’s. Playing hypotheticals, would Ro have been as successful without Cody eating space and taking on multiple blockers like he did? No doubt Ro was great but being free of a guard or center in your face on every play to get in your way has a tendency to make one more better. I really hope we have someone really emerge at NG this Fall that makes opposing OC’s have to scheme around them. If we do, look out because the other talent will just shine that much brighter.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
I love Mack's instincts and hands. He was hurt for several weeks last year and still led the team in interceptions. A very exciting player all-around.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I think the NG play in the 3-4 has a huge amount to say in regards to the play of the ILB’s. Playing hypotheticals, would Ro have been as successful without Cody eating space and taking on multiple blockers like he did? No doubt Ro was great but being free of a guard or center in your face on every play to get in your way has a tendency to make one more better. I really hope we have someone really emerge at NG this Fall that makes opposing OC’s have to scheme around them. If we do, look out because the other talent will just shine that much brighter.
Ro was an absolute athletic freak of nature.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Ro was an absolute athletic freak of nature.
About the only player in college I ever saw shut down Tebow 1 on 1 consistently in the open field. He had the speed and power to match Tebow which is rare. Such a shame because he could've made upwards of $100M had he kept things together in the league. Hopefully he is on the road to rehabilitation..

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
About the only player in college I ever saw shut down Tebow 1 on 1 consistently in the open field. He had the speed and power to match Tebow which is rare. Such a shame because he could've made upwards of $100M had he kept things together in the league. Hopefully he is on the road to rehabilitation..
you could tell that Tebow had never encountered anything like Ro when they met...someone who could outrun him AND run over top of him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.