Recruiting (UGA and Bama race for #1)

Rick2017

Jan 22, 2017
Was told about a post on a Ga board last night. They are real confident about finishing with the number one class again this year. A moderator had penciled in the players they are expecting to commit, which included Clay Webb, and the point total would give them the number one class. I just wonder if Smart is going to steal another recruiting board.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Re: Recruiting

I’ve spoken to a few UGA fans who aren’t so confident they get Webb...... some of them are figuring 2nd place finish
Really. how much difference in the top 5 or so? How many make it in? What you`re able to do with them from a developmental standpoint is critical. That`s one of the reasons last year`s " down " for us didn`t bother me tremendously.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

It will be close and it may come down to how many each school signs. I don't see them getting Webb or finishing #1.

BTW, this is a teaser title.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Really. how much difference in the top 5 or so? How many make it in? What you`re able to do with them from a developmental standpoint is critical. That`s one of the reasons last year`s " down " for us didn`t bother me tremendously.
I think Keeter meant UGA finishing #2 for Webb...

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

Bama: 16 commits with 271.76
Bulldogs: 10 commits with 217.94

Bama is on a tear right now, and expecting few more commits heading into August. I don't believe Georgia will catch up to Bama in the end. Georgia probably will sign 19-21 in this class... Even that, No way They can catch up to Bama.
If this is a race, UGA is getting lapped.

The artist formerly known as JBama_in_PCOLA

from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

I don’t know, Georgia fans are pretty smug, they believe they are on par or better than Bama in every way. I hear it daily! Recruiting is the dawgs to lose to them.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Kirby started out strong but seems to be fading down the stretch. Even Ogre has lapped him :conf2:
UGA and Kirby are going nowhere. Their current average star rating is #1 and higher than ours (we are #2). I will be very surprised if they don't finish in the top 3 and 2nd in the SEC.

They have a total of 10 commits - 3 - 5* and 7 - 4* - Avg * rating: 95.13

We have a total of 16 commits - 1 - 5* and 14 - 4* = Avg * rating: 93.81

I think we will end up with at least five 5* so no chance UGA catching us.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

UGA and Kirby are going nowhere. Their current average star rating is #1 and higher than ours (we are #2). I will be very surprised if they don't finish in the top 3 and 2nd in the SEC.

They have a total of 10 commits - 3 - 5* and 7 - 4* - Avg * rating: 95.13

We have a total of 16 commits - 1 - 5* and 14 - 4* = Avg * rating: 93.81

I think we will end up with at least five 5* so no chance UGA catching us.
The average rating can be very misleading. E.g., Bama has a ~94.6-8 rating, then adds the best kicker in the past 10 years according to Chris Sailer and the avg rating drops to 93.81. Numbers have value and UGA is having a great class thus far and will likely continue, but numbers can make no sense at times. If UGA adds one 3 star, even though that player may add real value to their class, their avg rating, having only 10 commits, will take an even bigger tumble. Even a couple of low 4 stars will drag it down significantly. If Bama adds John Metchie, a low 4, their rating will drop noticeably - about .3. I pretty much ignore avg rating - just look at number of 5, high-low 4 & 3 stars. Then add in that it is just the opinion of semi-pros.

As I said, this is not to take away from UGA having a great class also. But all Bama has to do is stay within genuine shouting distance of UGA in recruiting and they will continue to have their share of success, though maybe not a whitewash. Bama has the better coaching and football attitude and environment, UGA has the advantage of newness and a great OL coach. And though not perfect, Saban is the best talent evaluator in football.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

The average rating can be very misleading. E.g., Bama has a ~94.6-8 rating, then adds the best kicker in the past 10 years according to Chris Sailer and the avg rating drops to 93.81. Numbers have value and UGA is having a great class thus far and will likely continue, but numbers can make no sense at times. If UGA adds one 3 star, even though that player may add real value to their class, their avg rating, having only 10 commits, will take an even bigger tumble. Even a couple of low 4 stars will drag it down significantly. If Bama adds John Metchie, a low 4, their rating will drop noticeably - about .3. I pretty much ignore avg rating - just look at number of 5, high-low 4 & 3 stars. Then add in that it is just the opinion of semi-pros.

As I said, this is not to take away from UGA having a great class also. But all Bama has to do is stay within genuine shouting distance of UGA in recruiting and they will continue to have their share of success, though maybe not a whitewash. Bama has the better coaching and football attitude and environment, UGA has the advantage of newness and a great OL coach. And though not perfect, Saban is the best talent evaluator in football.
I understand that and agree with you. I was really just trying to show some posters who think UGA is struggling or will struggle are wrong. They will be our primary competition in recruiting and winning the SEC for the near future IMO.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

I understand that and agree with you. I was really just trying to show some posters who think UGA is struggling or will struggle are wrong. They will be our primary competition in recruiting and winning the SEC for the near future IMO.
Agree completely. UT may surprise in 2 or 3 years, possibly even MSU. But yes, UGA will be the primary obstacle. It's conceivable that Pruitt could make UT scary. IMO, he has a chance to be a great HC.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Keep that in mind we'll see final star ranking soon and that will affect the ranking. No matter what we should finish in top 2.... likely 1.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010

UGA's final ranking will not/never matter. No program squanders talent like UGA does. They have been doing it this way for decades. Why change tradition now?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

UGA's final ranking will not/never matter. No program squanders talent like UGA does. They have been doing it this way for decades. Why change tradition now?
You may be right, but it remains to be seen. Never forget that KS understudied with arguably ( and then again, maybe there is no argument ) the best that`s ever been.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.