Recommend Places To Eat and Things To Do At Orange Beach

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
My wife, mom and dad are going to Orange Beach next week. I have never been there so I need good recommendations on where to eat and a few things to do in the area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
My wife, mom and dad are going to Orange Beach next week. I have never been there so I need good recommendations on where to eat and a few things to do in the area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Head over to Highway 59 and take the 15-30 minute drive up to Lambert's in Foley. Rolls thrown at you, tons of good Southern food.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Head over to Highway 59 and take the 15-30 minute drive up to Lambert's in Foley. Rolls thrown at you, tons of good Southern food.
Second that, more than you can eat and they used to walk around with pots of stuff you didn't even order and offer it up as well.

Wolf Bay Lodge on the strip down there (whatever road it is that parallels the beach). The crab cakes are delicious, bring your wallet though, the cost can get up there.

Coming in from Foley as that highway ends there is an establishment right in front of you (the Wharf keeps popping up in my head, but I'm not sure) that served an all you can eat breakfast buffet that was outstanding as well. We ate there on a Sunday, so it might just be a weekend deal. Found it, it's the hangout

http://wolfbayorangebeach.com/

http://www.thehangout.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Second that, more than you can eat and they used to walk around with pots of stuff you didn't even order and offer it up as well.
They still do the "pass arounds" as recently as late last year. All sorts of options in those like fried okra, collards, etc and your plate already comes with a lot of food on it.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Maybe it's just me but I prefer, when I'm on vacation, to eat food I can't get at home...

I can't say much about current restaurants in the Gulf Shores / Orange Beach area as I haven't been there in years but Nikki's Seafood was always my dad's favorite.

ETA: I can, however, highly - and I mean highly - recommend Hope's Cheesecake. :biggrin2:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Maybe it's just me but I prefer, when I'm on vacation, to eat food I can't get at home...

I can't say much about current restaurants in the Gulf Shores / Orange Beach area as I haven't been there in years but Nikki's Seafood was always my dad's favorite.

ETA: I can, however, highly - and I mean highly - recommend Hope's Cheesecake. :biggrin2:
Hope’s Cheesecake is fantastic.

To the OP-
In Gulf Shores, my favorite seafood place is S & S Seafood. Carry out only. Get your call-in early. Smoked Tuna dip is good too.

Doc’s Seafood, Bubba’s Seafood, Tacky Jack’s, DeSoto’s (Gulf Shores), Lulu’s (Gulf Shores), and Sea n Suds (Gulf Shores) are all decent seafood places with reasonable prices. They’re all about the same quality, imo.

We’re going to try an ice cream/milkshake place tonight called The Yard. Supposed to be unique and good.

Have fun. The water and surf has been fantastic this week. Hope it is for you too.

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
I sometimes forget how spoiled I am to live near beautiful beaches along the Gulf Coast! And whenever I visit Gulf Shores or Orange Beach, it seems like there's always something new to try!

A few of my restaurant favorites include: Cosmos, Colbalt, Docs (looks like a dump, has been there forever -- good crab claws), Fishers, Wolf Bay Lodge, & Flippers just to name a few.

Favorite Bushwackers in OBA (oh yes, you MUST have a Bushwacker while at the beach) ;): Wolf Bay Lodge (they use real vanilla beans, homemade ice cream, Bicardi, etc), Flippers, Tacky Jacks & of course, Flora Bama. Be sure to ask for the topper -- Bacardi 151.

Buffets = Bubba's, Hazels Nook in GS although I haven't been there in years.

There's so much to do in OBA and Gulf Shores. They have boat tours, Dolphin Tours, shopping at the Wharf, an outlet mall in Foley, a zoo, and the list goes on & on. And I would highly recommend cranking down that A/C - it gets awfully hot down here in June & July!

If you're at all adventurous, these are a blast (although they can be somewhat expensive):

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g30753-Activities-c61-t212-Orange_Beach_Alabama.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g30753-Activities-Orange_Beach_Alabama.html

Have fun & let us know about your trip!

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
You've been advised of most of the popular places. Lamberts is fine if you don't mind crowds and are REALLY hungry! They throw the rolls to you from 15 feet, but eating more than one (or a half of one) is more than I advise. Too much else to save room for...
There is a very nice restaurant called Voyagers, it is down toward the eastern end of the gulf hiway, in one of the high-rises. Excellent steaks and wine, beautiful view, top notch service. Expensive but worth it. A place to take your folks.
Another place that is high quality but lower in price is Iveys in Robertsdale. A menu unlike those you have been shown, really excellent food, pleasant atmosphere. They serve a great lunch menu, same food, lower prices. Good wine. Robertsdale is 10 miles north of Foley on Hiway 59. Kind of a dumpy town, but Ivey's is well known to people who have lived here for a long time, as I have. (since I was 4.)
Bon apetit!

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
You've been advised of most of the popular places. Lamberts is fine if you don't mind crowds and are REALLY hungry! They throw the rolls to you from 15 feet, but eating more than one (or a half of one) is more than I advise. Too much else to save room for...
There is a very nice restaurant called Voyagers, it is down toward the eastern end of the gulf hiway, in one of the high-rises. Excellent steaks and wine, beautiful view, top notch service. Expensive but worth it. A place to take your folks.
Another place that is high quality but lower in price is Iveys in Robertsdale. A menu unlike those you have been shown, really excellent food, pleasant atmosphere. They serve a great lunch menu, same food, lower prices. Good wine. Robertsdale is 10 miles north of Foley on Hiway 59. Kind of a dumpy town, but Ivey's is well known to people who have lived here for a long time, as I have. (since I was 4.)
Bon apetit!
Pardon the semi-hijack . . Is Jesse's in Mag Sprgs still a winner?
Lived in Fairhope and worked in Foley over ten yrs ago. The occasional stop at Jesse's was a treat.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Thanks for all of the advice on where to eat. We stayed near Bubba's, so we ate there twice. I had all you could eat shrimp one night and all you can eat fish the second time. We tried to get into Mikee's and Doc's but the wait was 2 hours at both places. We stopped at Lambert's on the way down and had some home cooked food. I am not big on rolls but I did eat one just to say I had one thrown to me.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Thanks for all of the advice on where to eat. We stayed near Bubba's, so we ate there twice. I had all you could eat shrimp one night and all you can eat fish the second time. We tried to get into Mikee's and Doc's but the wait was 2 hours at both places. We stopped at Lambert's on the way down and had some home cooked food. I am not big on rolls but I did eat one just to say I had one thrown to me.
Part of the problem with the wait @ Doc’s is they closed down their Gulf Shores location this summer (which surprised me). It also would exceed two hours quickly if you didn’t get there early. Can’t go wrong with Bubba’s though. I ate there the summer it opened & have enjoyed it since.

I’m not a fan of Lambert’s. “Vegetables” from a can is vegetables from a can no matter if they’re throwing rolls at your head. You’re really paying for the experience/name. It’s a good experience you should do at least once I suppose. I’ve enjoyed it when I’ve eaten there.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.