TideWater Threatened by Invasive Plant Species

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Didn’t realize they were native, but since they are there... can they survive the winters?
That's the whole thing NT17, as things warm up the python range could extend north. I sure hope it doesn't. I read something the other day, can't remember where, saying that tropical diseases are occurring much more frequently in the US from vectors in the US.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That's the whole thing NT17, as things warm up the python range could extend north. I sure hope it doesn't. I read something the other day, can't remember where, saying that tropical diseases are occurring much more frequently in the US from vectors in the US.
Well, Madison County didn't have armadillos until recently. Or alligators...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Well, Madison County didn't have armadillos until recently. Or alligators...
I was doing some in the field Army training at Ft. Benning, Georgia in 1985. We were defending a trenchline (nice trench, with boards revetments, firing positions, zig-zag communications trenches, etc.) Around midnight, I was sitting on the edge of the trench with my legs dangling inside the trench and I heard something rustling inside the trench. I turned on my flashlight and an armadillo was staring back at me, giving me the "Yes? What do you want?" look.

In Texas, I had heard that armadillos were born dead on the side of the road, but I guess that is not true.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was doing some in the field Army training at Ft. Benning, Georgia in 1985. We were defending a trenchline (nice trench, with boards revetments, firing positions, zig-zag communications trenches, etc.) Around midnight, I was sitting on the edge of the trench with my legs dangling inside the trench and I heard something rustling inside the trench. I turned on my flashlight and an armadillo was staring back at me, giving me the "Yes? What do you want?" look.

In Texas, I had heard that armadillos were born dead on the side of the road, but I guess that is not true.
LOL! I used to kill them when they'd become pests. However, I found out they eat a ton of ticks each year, so I tolerate them now, along with possums, for the same reason. Also, both are very hard to kill. The brains are tiny...

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Virginia's Alex Childress suffers severe burns after coming across giant hogweed
Warning of graphic picture

http://www.newser.com/story/261922/teen-cuts-a-weed-ends-up-in-burn-unit.html

The "giant horror plant" that recently popped up in Virginia sent a teen working his summer job to the VCU Medical Center burn unit in Richmond, reports the Richmond Times-Dispatch. Alex Childress, who plans on attending Virginia Tech in the fall, was weed-whacking around Fredericksburg on Tuesday when he stumbled across a plant he thought was just that—a big weed. He cut it down and discarded it in the forest, but not before it had slid across his arm and face. When his father came home later that day, he was met with a shocking sight. "The top layer of skin on the left side of [Alex's] face basically was gone and appeared to be like a really bad burn that had already peeled," Justin Childress says, noting that Alex thought he'd gotten a bad sunburn. That night, when he took a shower, Alex tells People, "big chunks of my face were falling off."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.