TideWater Threatened by Invasive Plant Species

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/...ntcmp=ob_article_footer_text&intcmp=obnetwork

Invasive plant that causes 3rd-degree burns, permanent blindness discovered in Virginia

Gross pics in the link.

The sap can cause painful blisters that can form and become "dark and pigmented," and scars that can last up to six years, according to the NYDEC.

"There have been reports from VDOT of sightings of Giant Hogweed in the Staunton area and Middlesex County," Isle of Wight County posted to Facebook. "There is a strong possibility that the Giant Hogweed could find its way into the Tidewater/Coastal Virginia area."

I assume TW can still cavort nude in the woodlands,as long as he avoids the sap.

On a serious note we should all be on the lookout for this plant and eradicate it where ever found

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Being in VA Beach, that caught my attention. However, it's four hours away. The beach on the Bay side here (we're about 100 yards from where the Atlantic and Bay intersect) is in heavy brush which appears to be a combination mainly of ground juniper and trumpet vine. There's no sea oats and similar plants holding the dunes. The brush is impenetrable. I looked long and hard to make sure there's nothing resembling that awful thing...

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Being in VA Beach, that caught my attention. However, it's four hours away. The beach on the Bay side here (we're about 100 yards from where the Atlantic and Bay intersect) is in heavy brush which appears to be a combination mainly of ground juniper and trumpet vine. There's no sea oats and similar plants holding the dunes. The brush is impenetrable. I looked long and hard to make sure there's nothing resembling that awful thing...
Yah, I'm in Chesapeake and my Facebook feed has been inundated with locals posting pictures and cautioning people about it.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Blame it on the Russians. I read that Giant Hogweed is a native of the Caucasus Mountain region between the Black and Caspian Seas.

Common hogweed is edible; giant hogweed, not so much. Rub your hog on the plant and wait for a rash or no-rash to determine if it is giant or common (the plant that is...).

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/...ntcmp=ob_article_footer_text&intcmp=obnetwork

Invasive plant that causes 3rd-degree burns, permanent blindness discovered in Virginia

Gross pics in the link.

The sap can cause painful blisters that can form and become "dark and pigmented," and scars that can last up to six years, according to the NYDEC.

"There have been reports from VDOT of sightings of Giant Hogweed in the Staunton area and Middlesex County," Isle of Wight County posted to Facebook. "There is a strong possibility that the Giant Hogweed could find its way into the Tidewater/Coastal Virginia area."

I assume TW can still cavort nude in the woodlands,as long as he avoids the sap.

On a serious note we should all be on the lookout for this plant and eradicate it where ever found
Well, I'm about 150-200 miles inland from the ocean and I have a 2,000 foot tall berm between me and the ocean, so I think I'm okay.
Thanks for the heads up.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Well, I'm about 150-200 miles inland from the ocean and I have a 2,000 foot tall berm between me and the ocean, so I think I'm okay.
Thanks for the heads up.
Does this look like the ocean? Hoc est Oceanum Go ahead and continue your nude woodland frolics and see what happens:biggrin:

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Does this look like the ocean? Hoc est Oceanum Go ahead and continue your nude woodland frolics and see what happens:biggrin:

The climate is a little different up here. Heck, my cotton crop just sprouted. In Alabama, that happens in March. Maybe the different climate will protect me from the nasty invasive plant.

If I recall correctly, the verb "esse" would take the nominative "oceanus" in the sentence you posted.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I have either studied Latin extensively or I used the Google translator. Can you guess which? Does sound like a nasty plant. As we continue to warm we will see more nasty things. Pythons in Virginia?

Love your responses TW.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I have either studied Latin extensively or I used the Google translator. Can you guess which? Does sound like a nasty plant. As we continue to warm we will see more nasty things. Pythons in Virginia?

Love your responses TW.
Not global warming, but global movement. Pythons can't swim any further in warm oceans than they can in slightly cooler ones.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The climate is a little different up here. Heck, my cotton crop just sprouted. In Alabama, that happens in March. Maybe the different climate will protect me from the nasty invasive plant.

If I recall correctly, the verb "esse" would take the nominative "oceanus" in the sentence you posted.
Yep. The accusative was used. However, this thing grows also in Oregon. Sounds like it can tolerate cooler climates...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.