Link: Falcons DB: Ridley ' the real deal'

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Is it just my imagination. It seems like every week I read another story about one of our guys that recently turned pro and how impressed everyone is. And not just the drafted guys, but the UDFAs too. These stories about how "pro-ready our guys are, that has to be great for recruiting.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Is it just my imagination. It seems like every week I read another story about one of our guys that recently turned pro and how impressed everyone is. And not just the drafted guys, but the UDFAs too. These stories about how "pro-ready our guys are, that has to be great for recruiting.
Preach it, brother.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
A nice change from the "Bama Busts" mantra that was so pervasive not too long ago. The key difference - NFL coaches have always loved Alabama players while the media has looked for reasons to diminish them.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Good stuff on Calvin Ridley. Hopefully the falcons can get Julio's deal taken care of.....having Jones and Ridley on the field at the same time would be a pretty potent receiving tandem for opposing defenses to deal with.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-db-ricardo-allen-calvin-ridley-the-real-deal
Not to be the Debbie Downer of the thread but I think many times these type scenarios of having two star players on the field who play the same position sounds great on paper. But in many cases just turns into one player getting the bulk of the balls and the other becoming very unhappy. I think the better scenario (long term) is having one star wr and the rest of the wr's being role players who support the star player.

But congrats to Ridley for showing out and already opening eyes. We already knew what he could do. I also think the more Ridley impresses the more the Falcons maybe willing to strong arm Julio. I will be keeping my good eye on this situation.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not to be the Debbie Downer of the thread but I think many times these type scenarios of having two star players on the field who play the same position sounds great on paper. But in many cases just turns into one player getting the bulk of the balls and the other becoming very unhappy. I think the better scenario (long term) is having one star wr and the rest of the wr's being role players who support the star player.

But congrats to Ridley for showing out and already opening eyes. We already knew what he could do. I also think the more Ridley impresses the more the Falcons maybe willing to strong arm Julio. I will be keeping my good eye on this situation.
I think that it very much depends on the offense. The Falcons and Saints, for instance, run offenses that put a lot of vertical pressure on the defense. With only one very good WR, that pressure isn't close to the same.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I think that it very much depends on the offense. The Falcons and Saints, for instance, run offenses that put a lot of vertical pressure on the defense. With only one very good WR, that pressure isn't close to the same.
"Very good" WR's can still be role players. I'm talking about having two "star" wr's on the same team and keeping both happy enough to keep them together. If Ridley continues to impress and impress to the point the Falcons are confident he can/will be a "star" wr. Are they as willing to unload the bank and give Julio what he wants?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

I don't follow the Falcons super closely but I don't think that will be an issue(at least at first). Ridely isn't the physically imposing WR Julio is and I would bet they use them somewhat differently. Julio should and will get the majority of the targets but Ridley could be a deadly secondary WR right off the bat with potential to become a true #1 eventually if Julio leaves.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Recruiting tool no doubt.

From the article:
Comfort-wise, I think he came in a little bit ahead of the curve," Falcons coach Dan Quinn said of Ridley. "Not only did Alabama use some of the same pro-style concepts that we feature, but some of the terminology had even been the same. So you can imagine how excited he was to see the playbook and see some of the same language he'd been studying for three years. There was like some instant sense of like, 'OK, they call it the same thing here.' So that was helpful.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I don't follow the Falcons super closely but I don't think that will be an issue(at least at first). Ridely isn't the physically imposing WR Julio is and I would bet they use them somewhat differently. Julio should and will get the majority of the targets but Ridley could be a deadly secondary WR right off the bat with potential to become a true #1 eventually if Julio leaves.
I think they have to think about "down the road" now when dealing with Julio's holdout and his monetary demands. Granted, I don't know the exacts of the Falcons' salary cap situation. But a big part of the dealings with Julio ties into salary cap. Because my guess is he and his agent are going to fight for as much guaranteed money as they can get. Ridley is obviously locked into a rookie contract now. But they've already paid Ryan a hefty new contract and I'm sure they want to have the free cap space to add quality players elsewhere. This may get quite interesting all depending on how impressive Ridley continues to be. You (the Falcons) also have to factor in Julio's age when deciding on how much to unload on him relative to how many more great years they think he has left in him.

Last edited:

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
I think they have to think about "down the road" now when dealing with Julio's holdout and his monetary demands. Granted, I don't know the exacts of the Falcons' salary cap situation. But a big part of the dealings with Julio ties into salary cap. Because my guess is he and his agent are going to fight for as much guaranteed money as they can get. Ridley is obviously locked into a rookie contract now. But they've already paid Ryan a hefty new contract and I'm sure they want to have the free cap space to add quality players elsewhere. This may get quite interesting all depending on how impressive Ridley continues to be. You (the Falcons) also have to factor in Julio's age when deciding on how much to unload on him relative to how many more great years they think he has left in him.
I think drafting Ridley was a great move by the Falcons for the reason you mentioned but also because he was the most NFL ready WR in the draft. The Falcons have a window to win a SB that is closing and adding Ridley gives them a piece they didn't have last year in a down field threat opposite of Julio. Sanu is a fine receiver, especially on 3rd down, but he doesn't stretch the field. In two years, the Falcons are going to have to re-sign their defensive talent they have been developing (Grady Jarrett, Deion Jones, Ricardo Allen, Keanu Neal and Vic Beasley). There may not be room for a big contract like Julio's and having Ridley will be nice.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I think the Falcons will be foolish not to work this out with Julio. And, I think they will.
Oh, I think they are going to do everything in their power to get him signed. But they also simply can't throw caution to the wind and not be conscious of other things that impacts their goal of winning a superbowl. I'm certain from the Falcons' standpoint they are asking questions like "Can we afford to pay Julio something that will make him happy AND have enough money/cap room over the next two three years to address other areas of our team?"

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Oh, I think they are going to do everything in their power to get him signed. But they also simply can't throw caution to the wind and not be conscious of other things that impacts their goal of winning a superbowl. I'm certain from the Falcons' standpoint they are asking questions like "Can we afford to pay Julio something that will make him happy AND have enough money/cap room over the next two three years to address other areas of our team?"
Agreed - there are professional bean counters on every team who do only this for a living. If Jones is allowed to walk at some point, it will be because they simply could not make it work within the context of the overall team. The problem - they just paid their QB too much money to let it fall apart now.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
"Very good" WR's can still be role players. I'm talking about having two "star" wr's on the same team and keeping both happy enough to keep them together. If Ridley continues to impress and impress to the point the Falcons are confident he can/will be a "star" wr. Are they as willing to unload the bank and give Julio what he wants?
Well the last two years of Ridley's college career he was the only star and he still barely got the ball. He should be able to handle being second fiddle to Julio as long as Matt Ryan is the one throwing the balls. Not the way I'd like to say our guys are prepared for the NFL, but it's probably true.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.