Recruits that You Coveted More Than Others

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Personally Robert Quinn and jadaveon clowney were ones I wanted badly. Never thought clowney was going to come but I never doubt Saban. If we had crushed them in 2010 at their place maybe he comes to bama. I was at that game, at the end I knew he was going to gamecocks.

I liked both of them cause I thought it would give us that extra dimension we hadn’t had at that time. We ended up winning 2 natties during clowneys time so we did alright anyway.

Reuben foster had the second most insane highlight reel I’ve seen next to clowney. I wanted him badly. He lived up to expectations.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I remember we had a shot at Leonard Fournette before he ultimately chose LSU. We had recently stolen a couple of big local recruits away from LSU, so I was hoping that momentum would get him in crimson. Luckily we haven't been hurting for RB's since he made that choice, but I think he could have been in Heisman contention in 2016. (The year after Henry won it) The thought of Henry and Fournette in the same backfield makes me drool.

The other one who I wanted really badly was Myles Garrett. I don't remember us being strongly in contention for him, but I was hoping Saban could pull off a miracle after we'd missed on Clowney a few years earlier. He wasn't a fit for our system since he's a prototypical 4-3 DE, but I thought Garrett would become one of the best DE's to ever play the game. Heck, he had so little Defensive support at A&M that all of his college opponents gameplanned around him to the point that he'd get lost for long stretches. Yet he still was the #1 overall pick. I just wonder how good his stats would have been on an elite defense surrounded by guys like Jonathan Allen, A'Shawn Robinson, Jarran Reed, Reggie Ragland, and Reuben Foster?

Last edited:

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I remember really wanting 2013 recruit DT Eddie Vanderdoes. I thought he was really going to be special. He signed and a National Letter of Intent with Notre Dame, then quickly asked to be released so he could sign with UCLA. An NCAA appeals committee ended up deciding he could sign with the Bruins, with no penalty. He went to UCLA and was a third round NFL draft choice of the Raiders in 2017.

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN
I remember really wanting 2013 recruit DT Eddie Vanderdoes. I thought he was really going to be special. He signed and a National Letter of Intent with Notre Dame, then quickly asked to be released so he could sign with UCLA. An NCAA appeals committee ended up deciding he could sign with the Bruins, with no penalty. He went to UCLA and was a third round NFL draft choice of the Raiders in 2017.
As I recall, injuries plagued him in college. I was hoping to land him as well.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Going to date myself but the guy I really wanted was a fellow out of Pensacola a few years back by the name of Emmitt Smith.

Of course everyone wanted Brandon Chicken too but you can’t get them all….

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Keenan Allen out of Greensboro. Favorite recruit in 2010 until a NC-based handler got involved and demanded a scholarship for Allen's half-brother, quarterback Zach Maynard. CNS quickly cut bait. The handler, as I recall, eventually went to prison.

Reactions: Padreruf

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
Keenan Allen out of Greensboro. Favorite recruit in 2010 until a NC-based handler got involved and demanded a scholarship for Allen's half-brother, quarterback Zach Maynard. CNS quickly cut bait. The handler, as I recall, eventually went to prison.
Didn't Zach actually become the starting quarterback for Cal one season?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
A year or two after he went to Cal I spoke at a minimum security prison in NC. While there an inmate struck up a conversation about football, UA and CNS. He had been an assistant coach and had some relationship with KA. I never asked why he was in prison...he may have been the handler. He did say that CNS was really upset that KA didn't sign with Bama...but Bama had no room for his half-brother.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Henry. Best RB in the history of HS football. He was a can't miss recruit who was going to win a championship wherever he landed.
Except Mark Richt wanted to make him a DE. Which , given the money difference between NFL DE’s and RB’s, that may have been a good thing for DH.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.