UT's Legendary Announcer, John Ward, has died.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2018/06/20/john-ward-dies-voice-vols-obituary-tennessee-volunteers-football-basketball/720335002/

John Ward, legendary Tennessee Vols radio voice, has died
Blake Toppmeyer, Knoxville News Sentinel Published 9:12 p.m. ET June 20, 2018 | Updated 10:56 a.m. ET June 21, 2018

Sorry if this is off topic, but us old-timers remember him as a legendary voice - a contemporary of people like John Forney (or maybe a tad later - perhaps Paul Kennedy), Jack Cristil, Jim Hawthorne, etc.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
“It’s football time in Tennessee!”

Nothing but respect for Mr Ward. He was very loved and will be sorely missed by Vol fans.

RIP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
“It’s football time in Tennessee!”

Nothing but respect for Mr Ward. He was very loved and will be sorely missed by Vol fans.

RIP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Watson dives! Give him SIX! Big Orange!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
He was a good one. I feel for the Vol nation, who largely are made up of good folks alot like their neighbors to the south.

Too bad a few people messed up a classic rivalry from years ago between the two perennial SEC powers.

BTW, I always like the line "It's football time in Tennessee" because it meant that it was football time everywhere!!! Bring on September!!!

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I never heard him call a game, I don't think Tennessee football made the airwaves here in rural central Alabama when I was growing up - even if it did, I never would have listened to a UT broadcast of a football game. I did listen to many a nighttime LSU game as they had/have a really strong AM station that I could pick up clearly. Same for the GA Bulldogs and baseball STL Cardinals.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I never heard him call a game, I don't think Tennessee football made the airwaves here in rural central Alabama when I was growing up - even if it did, I never would have listened to a UT broadcast of a football game. I did listen to many a nighttime LSU game as they had/have a really strong AM station that I could pick up clearly. Same for the GA Bulldogs and baseball STL Cardinals.
BTW he was great at basketball play by play as well. The Vols had some great teams with Ernie Grunfeld and Bernard King and even though Alabama had some very good teams at the time they could never quite overcome the Vols on the court. Living in Knoxville or very near the Tennessee state line it wasn't unusual to have the Vols broadcast be the nearest or only option.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I lived in Knoxville for eight years. I wasn’t a huge fan of his announcing style. I did hear him speak once and he seemed like a classy guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
As much as I HATE Tennessee football, Ward's "Give him six!" was great radio.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
He was a good one. I feel for the Vol nation, who largely are made up of good folks alot like their neighbors to the south.

Too bad a few people messed up a classic rivalry from years ago between the two perennial SEC powers.

BTW, I always like the line "It's football time in Tennessee" because it meant that it was football time everywhere!!! Bring on September!!!
Amen! That rivalry pretty much Defined the SEC for decades, and for much of the history of our Conference, the UA-UT winner held the "inside track" to an SEC title. It's a True SHAME what was done to this once great rivalry. Frankly, I don't know if it can EVER fully recover. And that's a darn shame, IMO.

As much as I HATE Tennessee football, Ward's "Give him six!" was great radio.
This ^^^ Ward was a classic voice.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.