Link: Peter Fonda out after sickening tweets

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Just my opinion but I think outrage in politics can be very helpful in bringing attention to a particular concern someone has.

I also believe in freedom of speech.

As far as "celebrities" though - would like to see more of what Kim Kardasian did. Request an audience with the president and present your case.

=============

Disclaimer: Not sure if Fonda requesting an audience could do anything for this particular cause (immigration) - but maybe - who knows.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
As Matt shows just above this post, there are credible reports of Pedo's working at these facilities. In addition to Matt's link there are also many stories floating around about kids getting treated horribly including sexual assault on minors in CPB care.
meh still not something I would say.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Just my opinion but I think outrage in politics can be very helpful in bringing attention to a particular concern someone has.

I also believe in freedom of speech.

As far as "celebrities" though - would like to see more of what Kim Kardasian did. Request an audience with the president and present your case.

=============

Disclaimer: Not sure if Fonda requesting an audience could do anything for this particular cause (immigration) - but maybe - who knows.
Petition to the King

Many colonists in the Americas, however, developed a different conception of their role within the British Empire. In particular, because the colonies were not directly represented in Parliament, colonists argued that Parliament had no right to levy taxes upon them.[3] After colonists destroyed thousands of pounds of British-taxed tea during the Boston Tea Party, Parliament passed the Coercive Acts in 1774, punishing the colonies for their actions. These punitive Acts were vehemently opposed by the colonists, leading the newly formed Continental Congress to seek redress with King George III, in an attempt to reach a common understanding.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Come here legal like my wife did.
https://www.kcet.org/shows/socal-co...seekers-and-why-theyre-not-illegal-immigrants

Refugees and asylum-seekers are very different – under the law and in real life – from "illegal immigration."

Most foreigners who seek permanent residence in the United States are considered immigrants. Usually, their motivation is to improve their lives by finding better-paying jobs, pursuing educational opportunities or reuniting with family members.

The U.S. immigration system leaves many unable to obtain visas or facing decades of waiting for legal status, resulting in significant unauthorized immigration. Recently fewer of the unauthorized immigrants come by sneaking thru borders than overstay after entering with a visa.

Refugees and asylum-seekers are a whole different category of migration. They flee their homelands based on fear of prosecution or death, and they are protected under international law.
Maybe this will help you out.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Always a good thing to have facts to help understand things.

That said....are asylum seekers considered "illegal"? I ask because there's a whole lot of that word being used in coverage of this snafu over this past week.

"Asylum seekers" is also being used, but I wouldn't blame the average person who wouldn't understand the difference - especially if they relied on the mainstream media for their information.

I know this sounds like another of my attacks on the media, and maybe it is, but really and truly there's a lot that could be made more clearer than there is right now just on this one point, IMHO.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Always a good thing to have facts to help understand things.

That said....are asylum seekers considered "illegal"? I ask because there's a whole lot of that word being used in coverage of this snafu over this past week.

"Asylum seekers" is also being used, but I wouldn't blame the average person who wouldn't understand the difference - especially if they relied on the mainstream media for their information.
if you consider Fox News, Hannity and the right wing spin machine "mainstream" then I agree with this. They are the ones trying to confuse here

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I know I posted this somewhere else but this really is a good breakdown of the whole situation from NPR

What We Know: Family Separation And 'Zero Tolerance' At The Border

Relevant part on asylum seekers....

Can families request asylum, allowing them to stay together?

Families that request asylum at ports of entry are meant to be kept together while their claims are processed.Hypothetically, yes. In practice, maybe not.

But there is evidence that even families who seek asylum at ports of entry are being separated. One high-profile case involves a Congolese woman who sought asylum and still was separated from her 7-year-old daughter. In February, NPR's Burnett reported on the legal battle of Ms. L v. ICE.

Hers is not an isolated case, according to immigrant advocates.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
From the very informative link in Matt's post:

Refugees come to the United States after a formal process that lasts between 18 to 24 months and includes reviews by the State Department and other agencies, in-person interviews, health screenings, and other vetting.
Asylum is a different process that takes place in the United States or when people present themselves at the border. People who apply have to meet the international law definition of a "refugee," which was set by the U.N. in 1951 and in a 1967 protocol: They must demonstrate that they have a "well-founded fear of being persecuted in the future on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or political opinion.
Would it be safe to say that those presenting at the border are not refugees because they have not been through the formal vetting process?

Her is an interesting link about the international law.

https://epthinktank.eu/2015/10/27/refugee-status-under-international-law/
International refugee law or international human rights treaties neither articulate an explicit entitlement to asylum for the individuals concerned, nor impose an obligation on states to grant asylum. Individuals have a right to seek asylum, not to be granted asylum, and the states have the right to grant asylum, but no obligation. The Geneva Convention does not guarantee asylum-seekers the right to be granted refugee status, even if they fulfil the conditions to be considered refugees; this remains at state discretion
So under international law we have no obligation to allow either class to enter the country and the USA has every right to detain asylum seekers as it sees fit.

I await the screeching horde. :p

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
From the very informative link in Matt's post:

Would it be safe to say that those presenting at the border are not refugees because they have not been through the formal vetting process?

Her is an interesting link about the international law.

https://epthinktank.eu/2015/10/27/refugee-status-under-international-law/

So under international law we have no obligation to allow either class to enter the country and the USA has every right to detain asylum seekers as it sees fit.

I await the screeching horde. :p
what makes you think this? you may want to read past that one passage.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Thanks '92. Why should ? read more . Might find some thing that disagrees with my position.;)

I did kinda make up that last part you bolded. :redface: But I don't see what you might be referring too as I read the rest of the article.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
People suddenly "seeking asylum" seem a lot like the people that call their pets service animals.
Maybe this will help you out.

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/central-americas-violent-northern-triangle

Tens of thousands of Salvadorans, Guatemalans, and Hondurans, many of them unaccompanied minors, have arrived in the United States in recent years, seeking asylum from the region’s skyrocketing violence. Their countries, which form a region known as the Northern Triangle, were rocked by civil wars in the 1980s, leaving a legacy of violence and fragile institutions.

The region remains menaced by corruption, drug trafficking, and gang violence despite tough police and judicial reforms. While the United States has provided the three governments billions of dollars in aid over the past decade, some analysts believe U.S. immigration policies have exacerbated threats to regional security.

The number of asylum seekers originating from the Northern Triangle reached 110,000 in 2015, a five-fold increase from 2012. Unaccompanied minors accounted for much of this surge [PDF]. Migrants from all three countries cite violence, forced gang recruitment, and extortion, as well as poverty and lack of opportunity, as their reasons for leaving.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.