1K Yard RB and WR?

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Anybody else thinking we'll have both a 1,000 yard rusher and 1,000 yard receiver this year? Maybe even 2 of each?

Last edited by a moderator:

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
1K RB and WR?

Anybody else thinking we'll have both a 1,000 yard rusher and 1,000 yard receiver this year? Maybe even 2 of each?
RB - maybe... depends on distribution. If we really spread it around to Harris, Harris, Jacobs, Robinson, and even Hurts then its possible nobody gets to 1,000. If we focus on one or two, either by design or out of necessity (injuries, etc) then I think yes. I believe our running game will be potent.

WR - biggest factor is probably who starts at QB. Plain and simple. We may not have a 1,000 yard WR even if Tua starts simply because there are so many good options there won’t likely be a heavy focus on one of them by the offense like there was last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: 1K RB and WR?

I don't think we'll have a 1000 yard receiver this year. Assuming Tua starts, I kinda see a more balanced spread of receptions between the top 3 WRs and the yardage difference being mostly due to who popped off the most explosive catches. Furthermore, every indication seems to lend towards the OL being pretty dominant. The 2012 offense may be a good analogue but even that offense had Cooper narrowly make 1000 yards.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

I think our better chance of having 2 will be the RB's just because I think we really tote the rock once Tua opens up the passing game. Harris is guaranteed unless he gets hurt.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

I see it as one 1000 yard RB, and a couple of RB with very good yardage.
If Tua starts and spreads it around several games, we will win em easily, but I'm not sure we have a 1000 yard WR.

This is a recipe for a very happy Offense.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

I see it as one 1000 yard RB, and a couple of RB with very good yardage.
If Tua starts and spreads it around several games, we will win em easily, but I'm not sure we have a 1000 yard WR.

This is a recipe for a very happy Offense.
Yeah, if the second half is any indication we will have a logjam of receivers with a fair amount of catches, and several backs with ridiculous yards per carry averages as the defense has to spread to try to stop the pass, allowing the elite back talent to rush for big chunks.
BUT

We could also have receivers with big numbers as the defense attempts to make Tua beat them with his arm by stacking the box to stop the run. That might lead to big passing numbers, middling rushing from the starter, and better rushing from the backup as the defense reacts. I could see a 1k receiver and back in that scenario.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think the best chance at 1k receiver might be whoever is in the slot

But for Bama.....we really need close games for gaudy numbers to accumulate. If we get far out ahead, we play a lot of players.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
It all depends on how good each of these WRs are. We don't really know what they can do yet. If they all 3 are truly superstars then it will likely be hard to get a 1,000 yard receiver. But if one or 2 are clearly better it becomes much more likely.

I'm assuming we will be throwing the ball down field quite a bit so it will be easier for 1 or 2 of these guys to get a lot of yards without too many receptions.

We'll see, outside of Tua the WRs are the position I'm most interested in seeing play this year.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
You know - it may even be difficult to have a 1k rusher if Najee plays as well as he did last year.

Then again, Saban really trusts Damien and probably respects the mess out of him for coming back so it could still be a big enough split to let him squeak 1k.

Damien is a fine RB who could very well have a good career in a rotation at the next level, but Najee - well, it reminds me a tad of the 2014 season with Yeldon and Henry.

So who knows.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I don't think we'll have a 1000 yard receiver this year. Assuming Tua starts, I kinda see a more balanced spread of receptions between the top 3 WRs and the yardage difference being mostly due to who popped off the most explosive catches. Furthermore, every indication seems to lend towards the OL being pretty dominant. The 2012 offense may be a good analogue but even that offense had Cooper narrowly make 1000 yards.
There is one footnote to Cooper's 2012 season, though. He didn't play much until Robert Foster went down against Ole Miss.
Prior to that game, Cooper only had nine catches for 138 yards and a TD. If he was the full time starter from week one in 2012, he probably easily eclipses 1,000 yards.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We really do have an embarrasment of riches at both positions. There are 4 and 5 stars that I've forgotten their names at this point.

For instance, the big 6'6" receiver from Texas (Shavers?) redshirted last year and was injured during the spring, IIRC. Can't wait to see if/how he works into the rotation. We signed a slot guy (Bolden?) that, last I heard, took reps in the spring as a DB. Thought he might be a great slot guy, but then last year we signed another one who looks like an instant super star.

Season, please hurry up!!!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Damien is a fine RB who could very well have a good career in a rotation at the next level, but Najee - well, it reminds me a tad of the 2014 season with Yeldon and Henry.

So who knows.
Remember Henry's biggest obstacle to getting reps was he was having to learn how to block and pick up blizts.

He played in a system where they just handed him the ball everydown and said "Go big guy" so he never learned that on the HS level.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I think Damien is a lock for 1,000+ yards. I won't be shocked if Najee also reaches 1,000.

The X factor is Brian Robinson. I think he plays well enough to earn a good chunk of the carries which might eat into both Damien and Najee's totals.

With the WR's I feel like Henry Ruggs III is the best bet to reach 1,000 yards. The guy gets OPEN and has JETS and a nose for the endzone. I have him as Darkhorse Biletnikoff contender.

Jeudy and Smitty will be right there in the mix too. It's just so hard to predict when Tua will distribute the ball so evenly.

But yeah if I only pick two guys I'm picking Damien and Ruggs III to both go over 1,000 yards.

Last edited:

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I would highly doubt we see either, especially receiver. Tua seemed to have great chemistry with all of his receivers last year and I think that will lead to a lack of a predominate favorite receiver like we’ve seen in years past with Julio, Coop, and Ridley. I think it’s far more likely we have 3 receivers with 750 yards than 1 receiver with 1000.

Running game will be a crapshoot of talent. The rotation could easily be 4 deep and that doesn’t count designed qb runs. Najee Harris is extremely talented and could easily be the more complete back in a Tua controlled offense. I fully expect by season end he’ll be considered the primary back over Damien. We’ve already seen that happen in the 4th quarter of the Championship game. With so much parity of talent I think we’ll see enough balance of touches that it kills both Harris boy’s stats.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I would highly doubt we see either, especially receiver. Tua seemed to have great chemistry with all of his receivers last year and I think that will lead to a lack of a predominate favorite receiver like we’ve seen in years past with Julio, Coop, and Ridley. I think it’s far more likely we have 3 receivers with 750 yards than 1 receiver with 1000.

Running game will be a crapshoot of talent. The rotation could easily be 4 deep and that doesn’t count designed qb runs. Najee Harris is extremely talented and could easily be the more complete back in a Tua controlled offense. I fully expect by season end he’ll be considered the primary back over Damien. We’ve already seen that happen in the 4th quarter of the Championship game. With so much parity of talent I think we’ll see enough balance of touches that it kills both Harris boy’s stats.

Good post.

On bolded: I don't think we see too many of those. Yes, a few designed to keep defenses honest, but I think 90% of Tua's rushing yards will be off scrambles when the pocket breaks down or receivers are covered. In the latter case, he'll probably pick up 10-15 yards a click. Teams will scheme to "control" us but his scrambles will be back breakers.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
I'll give the 1K nod to Damien, maybe Najee goes 600-800. As far as the WRs, I tend to lean on at least 2-3 in the mid-600 because I don't know who will emerge out of Ruggs/Smith/Jeudy. That will be interesting to see

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
There is one footnote to Cooper's 2012 season, though. He didn't play much until Robert Foster went down against Ole Miss.
Prior to that game, Cooper only had nine catches for 138 yards and a TD. If he was the full time starter from week one in 2012, he probably easily eclipses 1,000 yards.
*Deandrew White not RF. Foster going down vs. Ole Miss was 2015. White blew his knee out earlier in the game on a play along the sideline and then Coop got in and later caught a TD pass.

ETA- It was Ridley whose reps/looks went up in 2015 after Foster got hurt vs. OM. Then Ridley went on to narrowly eclipse 1,000 yards in his freshman campaign. Lots of similarities between he & Coop so it’s easy to confuse them.

Last edited:

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I've got a name for everyone: Irv Smith Jr. He's going to be a good one at tight end and we have a QB that can get him the ball.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.