Keith McCants Arrested On Drug Charge

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This just saddens me - yet again....

http://www.tbo.com/blogs/bucs/2018/06/25/ex-bucs-de-keith-mccants-arrested-facing-cocaine-charge/

Former Alabama star and Bucs defensive end Keith McCants was arrested in St. Petersburg early Monday morning and is facing a felony charge of possession of crack cocaine, according to arrest records.

McCants, 50, was arrested by the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office and booked at 4:24 a.m. Monday. He is being held on $2,000 bond on the felony cocaine charge, and an additional $150 for a second offense of driving with his license suspended or revoked.

It's his ninth local arrest over four different counties since 2010. "Learn from me," he pleaded to modern players in the Sporting News in 2011 in detailing his battle with drug addiction after his football career.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I hate to hear that he is struggling with this type of issue. I always enjoyed him as a player, and hope he is able to pull things together.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Unfortunately, McCants can only really get help if he wants it. If he is forced into treatment it will be a waste of time. I would just hope there are some alumni who are in a position to help him help himself. Many prayers.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Unfortunately, McCants can only really get help if he wants it. If he is forced into treatment it will be a waste of time. I would just hope there are some alumni who are in a position to help him help himself. Many prayers.
This is 100% correct. If you are forced it will not work. I'v been through rehab and it worked only because I was tired and I feared I wouldn't live much longer. That was 30 years ago and I'm thankful to God for a second chance to do some good in this life. I pray Keith gets the help he needs.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
This just saddens me - yet again....

http://www.tbo.com/blogs/bucs/2018/06/25/ex-bucs-de-keith-mccants-arrested-facing-cocaine-charge/

Former Alabama star and Bucs defensive end Keith McCants was arrested in St. Petersburg early Monday morning and is facing a felony charge of possession of crack cocaine, according to arrest records.

McCants, 50, was arrested by the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office and booked at 4:24 a.m. Monday. He is being held on $2,000 bond on the felony cocaine charge, and an additional $150 for a second offense of driving with his license suspended or revoked.

It's his ninth local arrest over four different counties since 2010. "Learn from me," he pleaded to modern players in the Sporting News in 2011 in detailing his battle with drug addiction after his football career.
When will these guys ever learn... They fail to understand that once the spotlight is on them, they will remain under that spotlight. The law has no problem watching out for repeat offenders. The Drug offenses may be in different locations, but every NCIC check spits out their history.
I hate that it was one of our Alumni, but he did it to himself. Shame.

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn
His drug history and police record is long. While we all wish him recovery, he seems entrenched in this pattern of abuse. I don't know where 'bottom' is for him, but unfortunately he has not reached it yet.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Just reading about the multiple surgeries and all of the injury issues, I'm quite sure he was given prescription pain killers by the hand full. Then, when your career is over, you're left with an addiction and no money to fund it. Heard Del Greco and Jay Barker talk about this on the OD (Lord, I miss them) and they said on the flights home from road games, the team doctors would hand them out like candy. When you can't afford the pain killers you end up on crack and the other less expensive stuff. Hate this for him and hope he seeks treatment soon.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
He was the most physically gifted on the field in college, by a distinct margin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
Just reading about the multiple surgeries and all of the injury issues, I'm quite sure he was given prescription pain killers by the hand full. Then, when your career is over, you're left with an addiction and no money to fund it. Heard Del Greco and Jay Barker talk about this on the OD (Lord, I miss them) and they said on the flights home from road games, the team doctors would hand them out like candy. When you can't afford the pain killers you end up on crack and the other less expensive stuff. Hate this for him and hope he seeks treatment soon.
Very true.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
"Cocaine - It's a helluva drug..." Dave Chapelle as Rick James
Actually Rick said it himself in that skit;)

McCants was one of my most favorite Bama LB'ers too. He was a beast on the field. I love how ESPN put it in their top news, to me it was a shot at us and then they act like this is breaking news. Most of the Bama fans under 35 have no idea who he is. Sadly he has been a crack/coke fiend for a long time now. I hope he does spend time in jail so he is forced to get off of that crap. Yea he might get back on it when he's released, but I'm glad for now he has to stay off depending on his sentence. I've always rooted for him to beat this and always will, but I won't act surprised like ESPN did when/if he's caught again.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Unfortunately drugs are easy to get in jail or prison. He won't stop until he is ready. Lets hope he is ready before this kills him.
Actually Rick said it himself in that skit;)

McCants was one of my most favorite Bama LB'ers too. He was a beast on the field. I love how ESPN put it in their top news, to me it was a shot at us and then they act like this is breaking news. Most of the Bama fans under 35 have no idea who he is. Sadly he has been a crack/coke fiend for a long time now. I hope he does spend time in jail so he is forced to get off of that crap. Yea he might get back on it when he's released, but I'm glad for now he has to stay off depending on his sentence. I've always rooted for him to beat this and always will, but I won't act surprised like ESPN did when/if he's caught again.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.