Phil Steele’s forecast

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Good question, but I don't believe they think that many moves ahead.

Personally, I wouldn't have fired Miles without having someone else in pocket. I sure wouldn't have fired him in mid-season. That was a huge mistake that just compounded the fiasco ending the previous season.

I think they've painted themselves into a corner, and severely limited their realistic options. But then, realism doesn't seem to enter their thought processes. So who knows?
I noticed I implied "you". I meant "they fire the mad hatter twice in nine months and replace him with Ogre. In order of progression who would they hire next? I really think they fire the AD too.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Good question, but I don't believe they think that many moves ahead.

Personally, I wouldn't have fired Miles without having someone else in pocket. I sure wouldn't have fired him in mid-season. That was a huge mistake that just compounded the fiasco ending the previous season.

I think they've painted themselves into a corner, and severely limited their realistic options. But then, realism doesn't seem to enter their thought processes. So who knows?
Its obvious that Aleva wanted him gone after mismanaging the game clock against the boogs. Aleva didn't want to take a chance of Miles salvaging the season and making it difficult to cut him loose at the end of the season.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I noticed I implied "you". I meant "they fire the mad hatter twice in nine months and replace him with Ogre. In order of progression who would they hire next? I really think they fire the AD too.
Agreed. Alleva's job hangs on the how Ogre does. I would hate to have that hanging over my head. You take into account the way he handled the UF hurricane game a couple of years ago and other bad hires he is on a very hot seat IMO.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Its obvious that Aleva wanted him gone after mismanaging the game clock against the boogs. Aleva didn't want to take a chance of Miles salvaging the season and making it difficult to cut him loose at the end of the season.
I think Alleva wanted to punt the situation. It was members in the board and certain part of the fan base that started the movement in 2014.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Agreed. Alleva's job hangs on the how Ogre does. I would hate to have that hanging over my head. You take into account the way he handled the UF hurricane game a couple of years ago and other bad hires he is on a very hot seat IMO.
I think the hurricane issue is equally on Foley and Sankey as well. LSU was losing money by replaying it in Florida. I believe Alleva was trying the same deal he had with USCe when the hurricane hit the coast of SC. But Foley is hard headed. But plans could’ve been made by Wednesday to have a game on a neutral site but Foley wasn’t having it, and Sankey didn’t take a firm stance and he just punted the issue.

It should’ve been moved to Hoover or Mobile once there was a better than average chance the hurricane was coming. Alleva gets the lionshare of the blame because he wasn’t at the discussion table when Sankey made the compromise that Alleva suggested on Monday of that week.

Last edited:

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
If LSU does finish 5th in the SEC West, Orgeron will be gone.
Very possible, but I hope not. OR if they fire "Slingblade" I hope they at least keep Alleva - easily THE Worst AD in the SEC.

But the plain fact is that Ogre-on is like fresh lettuce - he DOES have a "Shelf Life". Though I wish they'd keep him forever. Lane would be a formidable opponent if he had the immense resources of LSux at his disposal.....

Will MSu beat UF this fall? I won't be shocked if it happens. Catching them at Home, and before mid-season in Mullen's first year is probably the best shot they will have in the foreseeable future.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Re: Phil Steele’s focast

Who do you think that will be, chucking the ball?
I haven't heard Coach Saban give out a starters name yet!
We have a chucker, a runner and a second string chucker. Our chucker won us a natty just a few months ago so I wouldn't bet against him starting no matter who says what...jmho.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I really have liked Phil Steele over the years and agree with him on two things about 2018–Bama makes it to NCG( I predict against Ohio State) and OU and UGA meet in the Sugar. Btw I predict the Sooners will get revenge and absolutely annihilate the dawgs after we barely beat them in the seccg.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
I really have liked Phil Steele over the years and agree with him on two things about 2018–Bama makes it to NCG( I predict against Ohio State) and OU and UGA meet in the Sugar. Btw I predict the Sooners will get revenge and absolutely annihilate the dawgs after we barely beat them in the seccg.
ehhhh..... maybe. But the Sooners were a "one trick pony" last year, and the pony has left Norman for a different circus.

Maybe they will be just as good without him. But on the other hand - maybe we should ask Jean Cheanick, Urban Meyer, Mack Clown, and Jimbo Fulmer what it's like replacing a "freak" QB who carried his whole team on his back??? ;)

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
ehhhh..... maybe. But the Sooners were a "one trick pony" last year, and the pony has left Norman for a different circus.

Maybe they will be just as good without him. But on the other hand - maybe we should ask Jean Cheanick, Urban Meyer, Mack Clown, and Jimbo Fulmer what it's like replacing a "freak" QB who carried his whole team on his back??? ;)
People seem to be seriously underrated Lincoln Riley. Idk that they are playoff bound this year but he's a very good offensive coach at the very least.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

That OU RB shredding UGA looked like a pretty good pony to me. I think you are understating the talent they have at OU.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
People seem to be seriously underrated Lincoln Riley. Idk that they are playoff bound this year but he's a very good offensive coach at the very least.
14, 14, 20, 8 and 9. These are Oklahoma recruiting numbers from the past five years. Talent won't get them in the CG. Coaching up with that talent would do it. The problem is the Big 12 is considered weak -- so unlike Bama and Ohio State they have to have a really good record.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.