Civility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
And I wasn't just referring to what I said. I was also referring to the idea that Obama tried "backdoor financing of Iran's nuclear development by our government" because that never happened.
What happened has been so distorted and twisted it's sometimes impossible to have a discussion of what actually happened.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'm kind of confused here.

Wasn't the original intent of this thread to drill down to the bedrock of WHY those who post here on TF's have to be so combative with each other including the use of passive aggressive snark and innuendo??

Instead in less than a day it's become a tit for tat dragging up of examples of Politicians and Political Party Members displaying how they aren't civil or are civil or are hypocritical or aren't in the current landscape...

Which has led to using those examples as a way to express MORE passive aggression, snark, and innuendo. What does that have to do with WHY we can't be civil in forum discussions?

Can people seriously not talk about anything here without resorting to sarcasm almost constantly?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

Wasn't the original intent of this thread to drill down to the bedrock of WHY those who post here on TF's have to be so combative with each other including the use of passive aggressive snark and innuendo??

Instead in less than a day it's become a tit for tat dragging up of examples of Politicians and Political Party Members displaying how they aren't civil or are civil or are hypocritical or aren't in the current landscape...

Which has led to using those examples as a way to express MORE passive aggression, snark, and innuendo. What does that have to do with WHY we can't be civil in forum discussions?

Can people seriously not talk about anything here without resorting to sarcasm almost constantly?
Ah, you must be new here.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

No. I think there's part of a baseboard over there that hasn't been urinated on. That one's yours. Enjoy.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If being civil is the ultimate goal then why not suspend all coverage of POTUS by all fake news media. Give exclusive coverage to Fox News and those who want to see him or hear what he has to say can tune to Fox. The mainstream media would provide no coverage of anything he does. Another benefit to this is for those many millions who don't tweet then you either have to join Twitter or tune into Fox. This way you could avoid his un-civil tweeting. Image the WH press conference with Sanders and only the reporters from Fox. I suspect he would bristle at the fake news ignoring him. Good.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
First, we were not financing anyone. Iran had their money in a currency that was hard to convert. Obama tried to get US banks to help Iran convert that money(which is illegal). That money was Iran's money that we had agreed to let them have access to as part of the nuclear deal. So, in Obama's mind one of the ways to carry out that deal in spirit was to help Iran access that money. But as you said banks refused and Iran still found a way to convert it.

So, Obama lied about doing something that never ended up happening and wouldn't have made a significant difference. I would hardly call that backdoor financing of Iran's nuclear program...
Ok, finance was a poor word choice for the activity. The fact that it didn't happen doesn't excuse the lying about it. They knew they were violating the agreement and lied to cover it up.

Final question: let's just say the banks were ok with it and this conversion went through. Do you think the banks, and ultimately Obama, would hide and lie about this conversion out of the kindness of their own hearts? You know, to help the struggling people of Iran and all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I really think the answer to having more civil conversations is empathy and exposure. So, while the internet may be leading to a lack of civility currently I think its very possible that it could lead to MORE civility in the future.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

This not only permeates NS but also the football forum. One of the reasons why people post less. There was a thread on the football forum where the entire first page was basically blue font or just sarcastic/snarky responses. Everyone thinks they're a comic when they type in blue font. People also type in blue font as a "no offense but I'm about to offend you" tone rather than sarcasm. We shouldn't have a separate font for sarcasm because it really causes more problems than it solves IMO..

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
i will believe that when i see it.

eta: since i was directly called out.

when i said it didn't matter it is because you asked me to provide one example of race-baiting by trump and trump supporters. there have been weekly examples in the past 18 months or so (and even before that) that are on this board and in threads in which you are an active participant. and surprise, it hasn't mattered.
Moving on.....may not mean what you thought...but I digress......

Just wanted to say for what it's worth I wasn't "calling you out".

Essentially, I was saying I'm OK if someone doesn't want to pursue a discussion on a particular topic. Even if they are the one who posted a 'challenging' response in what I interpreted to be a somewhat vague manner to something I posted.

This was my post earlier today.....I didn't even mention your name because I didn't feel it necessary to make my point.

I had someone say to me "it wouldn't matter" when asked to clarify their statement when they responded to one of my posts where I expressed an opinion.

They were the one who challenged my opinion. Not the other way around.

I responded by saying something to the effect "OK.....that's fine."

Sure....I could have escalated things. But what would be the point.

Asked and answered as they say in court.

We're moving on.......
I'm really fine if someone doesn't feel the need or desire to pursue a discussion. There are a lot better ways to spend one's time & energy than debating anyone here....that's for sure.

Last I checked this wasn't exactly "Face the Nation"....lol....

Nothing personal, of course. :)

Moving on......

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Essentially, I was saying I'm OK if someone doesn't want to pursue a discussion on a particular topic. Even if they are the one who posted a 'challenging' response in what I interpreted to be a somewhat vague manner to something I posted.

This was my post earlier today.....I didn't even mention your name because I didn't feel it necessary to make my point.

I'm really fine if someone doesn't feel the need or desire to pursue a discussion. They are a lot better ways to spend one's time & energy than debating anyone here....that's for sure.

Moving on......
right.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I'm really fine if someone doesn't feel the need or desire to pursue a discussion. They are a lot better ways to spend one's time & energy than debating anyone here....that's for sure.

Moving on......
Some people just like to feel offended. Not much you can do about it..

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Now it appears the civility of this thread is completely dead. Well, I guess that depends on how we define civility ;)

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Yknow, you get to make these comments, over and over. Not sure why. But somehow you are allowed to be as ugly, rude, dismissive, etc as you want to be. Especially in this thread....

SMH
Bingo. And they wonder why they lost the last election. They'll be just as surprised when they lose the next one..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.