Question: When CNS was hired how many NCs did you honestly believe he would win here?

In 2007 how many NCs did you think we would have under CNS?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 24 25.3%

Votes: 42 44.2%

Votes: 22 23.2%

Votes: 4 4.2%

Votes: 1 1.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 6

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I was very high on Saban and said one within three, two within six, three within 10, with the possibility of 4 or more depending on a number of factors including how long he stayed. I felt that if we didn't win we would be in the conversation more often than not. I felt it was a marriage made in heaven - the tradition, hunger, and resources of Alabama mixed with the best recruiter I've ever seen (with the possible exception of CPB) who also has the ability to develop players and who has an approach to planning and organization that can't be beat - even if his team on occasion can. At Alabama his vision can and has become reality thanks to the resources available to him. His impact will last many years after he decides to step down (but he should stay for another decade at least just to be sure).

I had crazy expectations and he has exceeded even those.

It may sound strange now, but it seemed to me that anyone that could take the utter crap show that was LSU before Saban and turn that program into a powerhouse that was still winning 4 years after his departure despite having an eccentric yet enjoyable but quirky and unpredictable coach like Miles could take Alabama back to the mountain top multiple times and make lasting changes that would endure. It helped that Alabama was not only fertile in resources, but in willingness to do what was necessary to bring success.

Mal Moore cannot be credited or thanked enough.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
So, I stand by my statements.
I'm not seeing where is said Shula created 100% of our problems.

My point was our program was WEAK under him. CNS had to break a lot of bad habits that were allowed to go unchecked under Shula.

I'm not passing along "misinformation". It's been well know for a long time that working out and putting in extra time was optional under Shula. Nutrition wasn't a big priority either with "Ice Cream Cone Breaks' going on.

Cochran and CNS had their work cut out for them after Shula's tenure. So I stand by my statements as well... which are well informed.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I figured 3. I knew we would recruit good but never seen the machine like we have now, that's for sure. I also think Coach might have looked elsewhere after his first title here because I'm not sure he thought he could build the machine that we have now and decided there was no way he was leaving. While I do think he could win a title just about anywhere, I don't think he could have built the monster we have become now anywhere else. He can almost cherry pick almost anyone these days and that's hard to do for anyone.

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
I was hoping for 2 but I mainly remember thinking that he would have us in a position to contend most years. To say I was a little fired up over the hire was an understatement.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
TBH, my initial expectations didn't involve guessing a certain number of NCs he would lead us to. I was elated that now we finally had someone who had the ability to just get us out of the hellish black hole of irrelevance we had sunk to.

RTR

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Frankly, when Coach was hired I was in shock and kind of remain that way ten years on. I mean, just being relevant every year was all I was craving after such a drought. I love Mike and all...he did what he was hired to do but man we just slipped way down in competition. When Nick was hired I was like, dumbstruck. We always knew Bama was the sleeping giant. When Coach stepped off the plane in Tuscaloosa I knew this was something big...I mean BIG! I don't expect to win Natties but just want to compete and be respected. Boy, we sure got that!

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I felt 3 would be the number. I knew he could probably get more good players to come to Bama than LSU because of Bama's football history, but I must admit I never thought he could get this many good players. I felt that no team could dominate college football anymore so winning 5 and possibly more is really a surprise.

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
I remember literally a conversation I had with a friend about when CNS was hired. I said that if he could "get us in the conversation" regarding the BCS bowls and possible win a Championship every now and then I would be deliriously happy. I figured that if he won 2 that he would sort of see his time at Alabama a success, a sort of a "my work here is done" type scenario, and then he'd go back to the NFL or answer some other siren call that he wouldn't be able to resist. Deliriously happy does not aptly describe how happy I am with him and what he's done here. If you would have told me at the end of the 2006 season what lay in store for Alabama, I'm really not certain that I would have had the full capacity to believe it. I'm sure I would have hoped that it was possible, but I'm sure that I would have been somewhat sceptical. In this case, its really good to be wrong, lol.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I guess there's no way to prove it, unless you posted about it, but I'm seriously doubting anybody that originally thought it would be more than 2 or 3. ;)

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I thought he had a chance to be an all-time great but never imagined this. If you had told me we would win 5 titles in 9 years and have 2 additional ones basically stolen from us in the same time period, I would have laughed at you.

I knew he would win 1 for sure but this is just insane...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I thought 1 maybe 2, if we were lucky. I also thought Saban would leave after 5 or 6 years. Glad I was wrong. I am enjoying this time and I know it will eventually end. I really hope the next guy just keeps on keeping on. Hopefully we have perfected cloning or have invented a way for people to live to 150 and Saban is healthy all the way to 180 (because you know he will out live us all).

Last edited:

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I was elated when Saban was hired. I thought he would be great for BAMA and that I would be happy if he would just coach the team to 2 National Championships. I am so glad he has done what he has. I do hope Saban can get at least 1 more NC to break Bryant's record.

I am thankful and fortunate to have a personalized, signed photo from Bear Bryant (just a few months before he died) and a personalized, signed football from Saban--the 2 greatest football coaches of all time. One of my relatives got them for me. I wish I would have gotten the chance to meet Bear Bryant. I hope to meet Saban some day.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
One or two. I never thought he'd stay this long, and for some reason I always thought he would want the Penn State job at some point. Very happy to have been wrong.

Rtr

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I really think anyone who was actually expecting any more than two National Championships under Saban was simply thinking wishfully.

After all, at the time we at least thought we knew that Saban was a very good coach but no one actually knew that he was a great coach; he had never stayed anywhere long enough to become great, yet. He was really just a good to very good coach who was potentially great.

In addition, coaches winning three NCs at a school was a very, very rare thing. After Bryant, you had a total of two coaches who had won three NCs and both of them had, umm, issues with one or more of them: Tom Osborne at Nebraska and Pete Carroll at USC. Expecting any coach to come into a program and win three NCs is generally an absurdity.

Had you walked into a bar full of Alabama fans in January of 2007 and told everyone that Nick Saban was going to come in and win five, four, or even just three NCs at Bama you would have been met with roaring laughter accompanied with shouts of "Roll Tide!" and sentiments such as "Wouldn't that be nice!" with no one still sober agreeing with you.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I was hoping he would have his 1st NC by his fifth season as HC. And maybe get #2 before he moved on. I also was thinking it would be great if we could just be in the hunt for a NC each year and at least finish in the top ten.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I was hoping for one with 2-3 SEC titles. May comparable to the Spurrier run of the 90s @ Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.