Question about Tariffs (in General) - Good or Bad?

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
gentle ben was criticizing trumps moves. i guess even a stopped watch is correct twice a day.
He’s actually quite critical of this administration. He’s a regular podcast for me. Don’t always agree with Shapiro (50/50) but his critique of the Trump administration is what piqued my interested in what he says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
It actually seems like people from both political spectrums agree on this. Tariffs are not the best way to go.
most intelligent people know that tariffs as bad for us overall. But they are a great way for an unscrupulous President to line his pockets and they play well to the idiots so here we are

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
With tariffs everywhere instead of free trade, everything becomes more expensive, purchasing power decreases, the impact of minimum wage stagnation is more acutely felt, and quality of life is diminished overall. But somehow people are convinced it helps us be more competitive.

I hate doing yard work, but if I have to pay someone $500 a month to do it, I'll do it myself. I'd much rather pay someone $150 a month, but with tariffs, I can't, because somebody with a lawnmower is buying the policy where it costs $500 a month, and the people that could stop it fancy themselves the lawn mower instead of the guy with the yard, when they really are net consumers.

Edit: Trump’s tariffs on Canadian lumber are pricing Americans out of the U.S. housing market
The Trump administration’s tariffs on Canadian softwood lumber are pushing up the cost of wood, claims the U.S.-based National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), adding approximately USD $9,000 to the cost of single-family homes in the United States.
I noticed this myself when I requested a quote for some custom shelving from an amateur woodworker looking to become a professional woodworker. I personally can absorb the cost of increased wood prices, but most people would balk at the price he was forced to quote. Good news for Jimmy Rane. Bad news for everybody buying from him. I see a lot of older, crappier goods in the American future.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
We would do much better solving the China problem with partners than with creating a trade war with our allies!
This is overlooked too often.

I recently saw an essay that made sense to me. It explained Trump brings his real estate negotiating tactics to an international situation that is nothing like a real estate deal. Trump's style is to bully and sue, and run all over whoever he is negotiating with. The downside of that approach is that once you crap the nest with allies on one topic, it spills over to whatever else you hoped they might cooperate with.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
This is overlooked too often.

I recently saw an essay that made sense to me. It explained Trump brings his real estate negotiating tactics to an international situation that is nothing like a real estate deal. Trump's style is to bully and sue, and run all over whoever he is negotiating with. The downside of that approach is that once you crap the nest with allies on one topic, it spills over to whatever else you hoped they might cooperate with.
I believe you are absolutely correct. It does perplex me that this guy who inherited his money from his dad, as in born on third base, is regarded by a number of otherwise intelligent people as having some grand strategy in what he is doing. Considering that the facts point to him being completely out of his depth when it comes to anything where mastery of the facts matter.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.