Kennedy Announced Retirement from Supreme Court (Kavanaugh nominated)

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Re: Kennedy Announced Retirement from Supreme Court

What about Ted Cruz - talk about an explosive choice!
or Rudy.....

But, personally, just for the entertainment, I'd love to see him nominate Cruz....

It would throw the Texas Senate race into a tornado -- but it would be fun

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

What a remarkable achievement from Judge Kennedy...he deserves nothing but gratitude and admiration....as well as respect.
I civilly beg to differ.

For all that Kennedy has done for the nation, the simple fact is that his decision to retire at this particular point in time will allow Trump to dramatically alter the balance of the court, and will impact the nation for generations. I do not have faith in Trump to select a qualified candidate, nor do I have faith that the Senate that confirmed Betsy de Vos will do anything more than rubber stamp the nomination.

Perhaps there is some personal matter of which we aren't aware that explains the decision. But in the absence of such, it is perfectly understandable that many feel frustrated and frightened--I know I am both.

I still have great respect for Kennedy; but Jesus Christ, he picked a terrible time to retire.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

I civilly beg to differ.

For all that Kennedy has done for the nation, the simple fact is that his decision to retire at this particular point in time will allow Trump to dramatically alter the balance of the court, and will impact the nation for generations. I do not have faith in Trump to select a qualified candidate, nor do I have faith that the Senate that confirmed Betsy de Vos will do anything more than rubber stamp the nomination.

Perhaps there is some personal matter of which we aren't aware that explains the decision. But in the absence of such, it is perfectly understandable that many feel frustrated and frightened--I know I am both.

I still have great respect for Kennedy; but Jesus Christ, he picked a terrible time to retire.
Playing devils advocate here. There is no guarantee that Trump won't get reelected in 2020. If Democrats didn't realize how important 2016 was to fill Scalia's seat, do you think that there is any more impetus in 2020? I agree it sucks, but I am not sure Kennedy owed anyone another 2, possibly 6 years to keep Trump from wrecking the USSC.

Whoever the left powerbrokers are need to come up with some life extending miracle drug for Ginsburg, because this is going to hurt badly.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Ginsburg isn’t probably that far off from death or retirement, and I think Clarence is persuaded to retire during this administration. So trump could potentially seat 4.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

Playing devils advocate here. There is no guarantee that Trump won't get reelected in 2020. If Democrats didn't realize how important 2016 was to fill Scalia's seat, do you think that there is any more impetus in 2020? I agree it sucks, but I am not sure Kennedy owed anyone another 2, possibly 6 years to keep Trump from wrecking the USSC.
A valid point, and one that I will likely be more amenable to once the shock wears off. But right now I'm seriously worried about the future of this nation--more so than when the malevolent yeast infection was elected.
Whoever the left powerbrokers are need to come up with some life extending miracle drug for Ginsburg, because this is going to hurt badly.
I understand that people have volunteered to donate whatever organs RBG may need.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

A valid point, and one that I will likely be more amenable to once the shock wears off. But right now I'm seriously worried about the future of this nation--more so than when the malevolent yeast infection was elected.
I understand that people have volunteered to donate whatever organs RBG may need.
that is being very un-civil towards malevolent yeast infections

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

well, i think in 2016 a very large chunk of the country didn't think there was much of a chance trump was going to get elected. i don't think motivation is going to be as much of a challenge in 2018 or 2020. but a lot will depend on the russian rat screwing that we know will happen again as we have done very littl to address it.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

I can't begrudge an 81 year old man for retiring. If we can't elect a decent person to fill his seat that is our fault, not his.
The only thing I can possibly think that is good about this is maybe Kennedy was signaling to Democrats how important 2018 midterms are. Because if they can't make up some of the seats, there is no way this ends well for anyone.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Look, if you are elected/appointed to an important position in government you have an obligation to do what is best for the country and yes that includes things like when you retire.

Now, maybe Kennedy thinks he is doing that or maybe there are other things at play that we don't know. But I certainly don't think this is good for our country and I'm not going to feel bad about being upset that he chooses to retire today.

Depending on what happens next this very well could impact his legacy just like Trump has greatly impacted Obama's.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

The only thing I can possibly think that is good about this is maybe Kennedy was signaling to Democrats how important 2018 midterms are. Because if they can't make up some of the seats, there is no way this ends well for anyone.
Hard to say - while he's generally been conservative, he's been the swing vote towards the left some as well. By announcing his retirement now, there's little chance the Dems can do anything about his replacement - he / she will almost certainly be approved before the election in November. As the repubs showed with Gorsuch, all they need is a simple majority.

The timing of this almost seems as if kennedy wanted Trump to pick his replacement.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

given that the president is under investigation, it is reasonable to wait until the next presidential election and let the voters decide

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

I civilly beg to differ.

Thank you for your post and comments. Well said, J. Thomas.

I can understand that perspective.

We will have to see what happens.

That said - the man is 81 years old and states he wishes to spend more time with his family. I say regardless of anything else - let's respect that and give the man some gratitude, eh?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.