Kennedy Announced Retirement from Supreme Court (Kavanaugh nominated)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Kennedy Announced Retirement from Supreme Court

While interesting, I don’t see a problem with the bank loan. Now, if Kennedy got picked for the court after his son saved Trump’s business, that would be a huge problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Too cozy, even if the loan's been paid back...

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA

Too cozy, even if the loan's been paid back...
I agree with the premise that this is an interesting transaction, but this occurred long before Trump announced his candidacy. Is the article claiming that Trump's dealing with Kennedy's son was trying to gain some advantage pre-presidency or during his presidency? I would definitely be skeptical of any SC ruling that would substantially benefit Trump's personal business over others following this transaction. But what advantage would Trump have gained during his presidency by dealing with a son of an already-sitting justice? Can we point to a decision in the last 1.5 years where Kennedy deviated from his usual rulings to benefit Trump? Are we saying that Trump told Kennedy's son a long time ago that when he became president (an assumption that many laughed at all the way up to election day) he would borrow from his bank as long as Trump was allowed to name the successor to his father? Just too much of a stretch for me at this point.

This is the last paragraph of the NYT article: Justice Kennedy visited the White House on Wednesday to tell Mr. Trump of his retirement and to deliver a letter setting out the details. Its warm opening words — “My dear Mr. President” — acknowledged a cordial relationship between the two men, as well as the success of the White House’s strategy.
Please refer to the last SC justice to pen a retirement letter, Justice John Paul Stevens' to President Obama on April 9, 2010. He also begins, "My dear Mr. President." Seems odd that the Times failed to mention this. Is the non-recusal of Stevens' replacement, Elena Kagan, in the 2012 ruling on the Affordable Care Act not a much more glaring conflict of interest than the transaction described in this article?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Susan Collins, Pivotal Moderate, Says ‘Hostility’ to Roe Would Sway Her Vote

WASHINGTON — Senator Susan Collins, a moderate Maine Republican whose vote could prove decisive in filling the Supreme Court’s vacant seat, said on Sunday that she would not vote for a nominee who showed “hostility” toward Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 decision establishing a constitutional right to abortion.

“A candidate for this important position who would overturn Roe v. Wade would not be acceptable to me, because that would indicate an activist agenda that I don’t want to see a judge have,” Ms. Collins said on ABC’s “This Week.”
(more at the link above)

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I wonder how solid the Republicans are in supporting Trump’s pick.

Collins is from Maine and is pro-choice. Murkowski might not support someone who would overturn Roe. Flake might decide to give Trump a parting gift of a middle finger on his way out the door.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

Collins is from Maine and is pro-choice. Murkowski might not support someone who would overturn Roe. Flake might decide to give Trump a parting gift of a middle finger on his way out the door.

One can only hope

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Well either way we are going to see how bluedog doug jones is

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I wonder if we will ever see another SCOTUS confirmation vote that isn’t largely along party lines.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Collins and Murkowski both voted for Gorsuch and Alito, so take any protestations they make with a large grain of salt.
I just saw that Collins says Roe is settled law and a constitutional right.
I'm not a big fan of litmus test, but a candidate's hostility to Roe sounds like enough for Collins to jump ship.
Plus, I believe abortion is the quintessential IX Amendment right.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea

I think it will probably be a moot point. Any nominee, when prompted about their views on a politically-charged topic such as this, will fudge their way thru a non-answer. "I will uphold the Constitution...blah blah blah." They will not tip their hand so as to create reasons not to get a "yea" vote.

Whoever gets the nod, unless that person has a clear record of balanced and well-reasoned opinions, will be the subject of some pretty nasty repercussions. Given that the Garland nomination was basically stolen by a corrupt and reptilian Majority Leader.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

The real fun starts if Ginsburg dies.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I think it will probably be a moot point. Any nominee, when prompted about their views on a politically-charged topic such as this, will fudge their way thru a non-answer. "I will uphold the Constitution...blah blah blah." They will not tip their hand so as to create reasons not to get a "yea" vote.

Whoever gets the nod, unless that person has a clear record of balanced and well-reasoned opinions, will be the subject of some pretty nasty repercussions. Given that the Garland nomination was basically stolen by a corrupt and reptilian Majority Leader.
oh please.

He did EXACTLY what Senator Maj Leader Harry Reid would have done if President John McCain had picked a replacement for Scalia.

Nobody needs to pretend otherwise.

(Besides - we're only hearing about this "stolen seat" because the guy who couldn't possibly win actually did. And there's no guarantee Garland would have been seated by a Democratic Senate (had they won control) and Prez Hillary. Indeed, they may have wanted another RB Ginsburg).

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

Dems need to stop relying on the courts to fix "bad" policy and focus on electing people who will write good policy.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

oh please.
He did EXACTLY what Senator Maj Leader Harry Reid would have done if President John McCain had picked a replacement for Scalia.
Your comments as to what Reid would or would not do are idle speculation. No need to pretend otherwise.
(Besides - we're only hearing about this "stolen seat" because the guy who couldn't possibly win actually did. And there's no guarantee Garland would have been seated by a Democratic Senate (had they won control) and Prez Hillary. Indeed, they may have wanted another RB Ginsburg).
More pointlessness; if Garland had been seated, what the next Senate (Dem or GOP) or president might have done would be moot--as it should have been for Trump.

You can do all the mental contortions you want, but in the end, McConell stole a supreme court seat. From the perspective of simple power, it was a successful move in that it will enable Trump to dramatically shift the balance of court. But that doesn't make it any less a crime; it just makes it a successful crime.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Dems need to stop relying on the courts to fix "bad" policy and focus on electing people who will write good policy.
I agree, but at the same time Kennedy stepping down basically makes the next two years hoping RBG not to croak a high hope and worry

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

It is wrong no matter who is doing it.

I think Hillary would have felt duty bound to nominate Garland if she had won. But who knows how he would have done in a Senate vote with a 52-48 Republican edge.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

oh please.

your hypotheticals don't really excuse reality

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.