Eli Gold's Top 5 Calls

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I'm in Chrome and it works fine.
Hey, I just tried Chrome again. It failed this morning but this time I turned off the ad-blocker in Chrome and it worked. I can now see the videos. Thanks for the tip which put me on the right track. I have a similar problem with twitter posts. I usually browse using Firefox but it seems neither Facebook or Twitter videos work at all in Firefox.

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
I surprised also. Number 1 has to be the touchdown last year but Tiffin's FG and Teague's takeaway are not there.

I'm surprised that 1989 Penn St is on the list?? I mean yeah it was a great play when it happened but ultimately it had no effect on the success of the season.

We ended up losing to AU which caused a 3-Way Tie with UT for the SEC Championship and then got beat by Miami in the Sugar Bowl. The ending of that season soured everything before it for me.

How is Langham's Pick 6 in the 1992 SECCG not better and more important?....Maybe Teague's Pick 6 or The Strip against Miami?? Trent's Dagger run against LSU for the NC? AJ to Coop in the 2012 SECCG?? Drake's KR TD against Clemson?? etc etc etc.

I'm just sayin'...... there are way better and more important plays than an ultimately meaningless regular season blocked punt against PSU.

catsbane

Scout Team
Dec 11, 2008
Helena
Gold did not call Van Tiffin's kick against AU. That was Paul Kennedy, IIRC. (assuming that was the one to which you were referring)
Kennedy. You do recall correctly. Another great call from that game was the "Run to glory" call during Jelks long TD. I had a co-worker a few years after who would re-enact that call. Just the memory of that second hand version still makes my hair stand on end.
Back on topic I'm also surprised that Teague's strip didn't make Eli's list.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
I'm wondering why Teague is not on this list too...but let me ask you all this: Who is the greatest play-by-play caller? Eli, Kennedy, or Forney? I started following Bama in late 89 so I don't remember any of Eli's predecessors to make that call

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I'm wondering why Teague is not on this list too...but let me ask you all this: Who is the greatest play-by-play caller? Eli, Kennedy, or Forney? I started following Bama in late 89 so I don't remember any of Eli's predecessors to make that call
IMO Forney was by far superior to EG. Forney bled crimson and was much more than a hired voice when games were only available via radio. It was his only job and he did it superbly. When Tennessee dominated Stabler and the Tide his senior year, in B'ham I believe, Forney spoke for us all when he said. We have been to the mountain and while this may be a very difficult day we will be back there again. It still resonates 50 + years later.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am surprised that Eli is not an Alabama alumnus. I always knew that he was from NY from the voice, but assumed that he went to Alabama. He is very passionate about Alabama in his broadcasts.

Do Alabama fans view him as an outsider?

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
I am surprised that Eli is not an Alabama alumnus. I always knew that he was from NY from the voice, but assumed that he went to Alabama. He is very passionate about Alabama in his broadcasts.

Not many now in my opinion, but almost 30 years ago when he replaced John Forney following the 1988 season many did view him as a total outsider. Whoever replaces Eli will probably go through the same thing, likely take a decade or so to be accepted. :biggrin:

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

Eli came to the state of Alabama in the 70's to call the Birmingham Bulls hockey games. The Bulls were part of the WHA. They had to bring in a yankee because no southern radio announcer knew anything about hockey. He went from hockey to NASCAR and in 1988 he was doing both Bama games and NASCAR races for a few years. Hard to believe he been the voice of the Tide for 30 years.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
I think fans have always been good with Eli - I know I have been.

The years before Eli started were pretty tumultuous. John Forney, who called Coach Bryant's entire Bama tenure, was unceremoniously fired by Ray Perkins in the same purge that brought down Bear's tower and replaced Coke and Golden Flake with Pepsi and Frito-Lay. Paul Kennedy replaced Forney at that time and, through no fault of his own, wasn't warmly received by the Bama faithful. PK was a fine announcer - his call of Van Tiffin's 1985 IB FG is a classic.

Bill Curry, in an effort not to seem an outsider, re-hired Forney in 1988 to ingratiate himself. Forney called the one season in '88 before retiring. It was then that Eli came in, free of controversy, and has been the man ever since.

I think we all love Eli because he has been there for every high and low since 1989, and brother we've had 'em both. And he's done it with class and without being an insufferable homer (looking at you, Auburn and Georgia announcers.....)Hope he's the Voice of Alabama Football for many years to come!

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I think fans have always been good with Eli - I know I have been.

The years before Eli started were pretty tumultuous. John Forney, who called Coach Bryant's entire Bama tenure, was unceremoniously fired by Ray Perkins in the same purge that brought down Bear's tower and replaced Coke and Golden Flake with Pepsi and Frito-Lay. Paul Kennedy replaced Forney at that time and, through no fault of his own, wasn't warmly received by the Bama faithful. PK was a fine announcer - his call of Van Tiffin's 1985 IB FG is a classic.

Bill Curry, in an effort not to seem an outsider, re-hired Forney in 1988 to ingratiate himself. Forney called the one season in '88 before retiring. It was then that Eli came in, free of controversy, and has been the man ever since.

I think we all love Eli because he has been there for every high and low since 1989, and brother we've had 'em both. And he's done it with class and without being an insufferable homer (looking at you, Auburn and Georgia an.nouncers.....)Hope he's the Voice of Alabama Football for many years to come!
IIRC, off by one year. Forney in 87, Eli in 88.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Him really loving the '89 game makes a lot more sense now - it was his first call of a win like that at Alabama (late win in an improbable way against a highly ranked and highly respected opponent).

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
" And the roses in this stadium are once again crimson!"... That's probably one of the greatest lines I've ever heard a sports caster say, because it fit so well. I'll remember that the rest of my days.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.