Eli Gold's Top 5 Calls

catsbane

Scout Team
Dec 11, 2008
Helena
Not trying to get off track here, but this is absolutely my favorite call of that game. Those GA morons and their mis-pronunciation of Tua's name!!! You would never here Eli carry on like that about an opponent.
Agree. Alabama in my years of fandom has always had topnotch broadcasters in Forney, Kennedy, and Gold. Touching back on Forney's dismissal by Perkins, I believe that Forney had had a stroke and if I remember the timing that led to his being replaced. Mr Forney had a voice made for radio though.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
A trip down Memory Lane with John Forney and crew:

Forney calls a Bama TD:

Back in those days we listened on the radio most games and caught a few highlights on the local news that night. It wasn't until the next day at noon that we'd see the whole game condensed into the 1 hour Bear Bryant Show. So Forney's call on radio painted the picture for us. I remember being able to "see" what was happening as Forney and crew described the action in exquisite detail. You could close your eyes and be in the stadium.

I wasn't so much into the politics of it and I didn't care who was calling the games, but I do remember some controversy when Forney was replaced. I was young but thought Kennedy did a fine job. The call of "The Kick" is one of the greatest calls in Bama football history. "It's good! It's good! It's good! It's good!"

Eli's #1 call hasn't been posted yet but I'm on the lookout for it.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I wouldn't call it meaningless,heck no Bama win is.The Penn State rivalry was a pretty big deal back in the day.
You're right.... 'meaningless' in a vacuum is harsh. It was of course a phenomenal play in the moment.

I just meant compared to many other plays since (that have directly led the path to National Championships) it had the least significance on Trophy Case space.

We could have lost that game and STILL would have been in a 3-way Tie with AU and UT for the SEC Title and STILL gone to the Sugar Bowl to play Miami.

The only difference is we would have been 9-2 instead of 10-1 going in to the game.

But it's Eli's list and for whatever reason that call has a special place for him. My guess is that nothing will ever bump it from his Top 5 since it's already there.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
I am surprised that Eli is not an Alabama alumnus. I always knew that he was from NY from the voice, but assumed that he went to Alabama. He is very passionate about Alabama in his broadcasts.

Do Alabama fans view him as an outsider?
If they did, they should be ashamed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I am surprised that Eli is not an Alabama alumnus. I always knew that he was from NY from the voice, but assumed that he went to Alabama. He is very passionate about Alabama in his broadcasts.

Do Alabama fans view him as an outsider?
Due to the fact that Eli had been doing the Nascar races on MRN , many Bama fans were familiar with his voice. So I dont recall any controversies surrounding him taking over from Paul Kennedy. I grew up listening to John Forney and Doug Latham so those impressions are with me always. I will say that Doug Latham IMHO did not receive the credit he deserved as color man. I liked John Forney, but he would make mistakes and Doug would do a great job on many calls.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Eli Gold and Phil Savage is a pretty dang good radio crew but they're not good enough to make me go through the trouble to sync radio to television

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Eli Gold and Phil Savage is a pretty dang good radio crew but they're not good enough to make me go through the trouble to sync radio to television
I wish I could get Eli here in Philly and sync his calls to the video, but it's appears to be a major undertaking. It is amazing the various lengths of delay from one type of broadcast to another. Many times I would be talking to a friend during the game and my broadcast would be at least 5 seconds ahead of him.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Out here in New Mexico my only chances to hear Eli and Phil are if I'm in the car listening on XM or when ESPN has the "hometown announcers" setup during the CFP. You can sure bet I listen to our guys in that situation.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Yeah, and their "we" did this and "we" did that was just unbearable! If you're sitting on your butt in an air-conditioned press box yammering into a microphone, and not on the field sweating, hitting and getting hit, you are NOT part of "we". The karmic blowback on the very next play is exquisite. Only Auburn's "announcers" are more nauseating to listen to. I really do appreciate the professionalism of Alabama's announce crews through the years.
Not trying to get off track here, but this is absolutely my favorite call of that game. Those GA morons and their mis-pronunciation of Tua's name!!! You would never here Eli carry on like that about an opponent.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.